pureangst

A Solution To Blankdisc And Recording Problems.

Rate this topic

70 posts in this topic

I have record problem on my mz-n10...after recording it shows blankdisk!!! but the ribbon cable on record lens isn't broken! a clean lens....what can u advice me to do?

Hi!

Did you check the cable with an instrument or just by eye? If it's really not broken, then I have no further idea, there are many places where the problem could be found.

If its broken though, you may patch it. I did a lot of work with mine, and still not working, I have to experiment with the patch cables, the arrangement of the cables, but I have no time for that now. Really silly thing that Sony doesn't support it's users with a .50 dollar replacement cable... I won't miss blaming this company if someone asks me about MD related things. I'm still upset, Sony. Think about it! :)

Greetz, and Buuuuhhhhh!!! Halloween

misran

I had the same problem about 2 years ago. I sent my N1 to Sony, (I live in Peru, imagine the hassle) they initially refused to repair it, I insisted, they magically accepted to repair it (suddenly a very common problem with this unit?). They didn't charged me for components, but they did charged me for installation and calibration. US$ 110 was total cost. I was pretty pissed off.. I'm now experiencing some intermmitent gaps in USB transfers... oh well... waiting for the next generation HI-MD top-of the-line unit. :) and my ER-6i to arrive!

I had the same problem about 2 years ago. I sent my N1 to Sony, (I live in Peru, imagine the hassle) they initially refused to repair it, I insisted, they magically accepted to repair it (suddenly a very common problem with this unit?). They didn't charged me for components, but they did charged me for installation and calibration. US$ 110 was total cost. I was pretty pissed off.. I'm now experiencing some intermmitent gaps in USB transfers... oh well... waiting for the next generation HI-MD top-of the-line unit. :) and my ER-6i to arrive!

Yep, Hi-MD is quite pretty, but flash-based stuff will kill this line though. Think twice before buy. You might get already obsolete stuff.

My MD is still in the "I will repair it some day" drawer...

Cheers,

misran

I know... :( but unless flash players become as professionally oriented as HI-MD (in the recording, battery and sound quality aspect) I'll be sticking to the format. The only nice flash machine outthere that surpases my needs it's the Edirol R-1, but that one use expensive compact flashs... in HI-MD, with a price of 3 bucks the gigabyte, who can go wrong... ;)

Edited by xatax

"I had the same problem about 2 years ago. I sent my N1 to Sony, (I live in Peru, imagine the hassle)..."

I also live in Perú and wasn´t able to solve my N707 problem. At first it showed gaps in songs recorded via optical in, but recording via USB was fine, but suddenly I can´t record anymore. I tried two different computers, different version of SS (3.3/3.4), simple burner and I keep getting the "unable to record..." mesage. The recordings stars fine but then it halts (around 50-60% progress), I think the problem is when the recorder tries to write.

Took it to Sony technical service where I technician said he will take a look to it, but I don´t expect too much from him.

I have to decide to stay with minidisc (HI-MD) or go to a flash based device.

hey, my N1 "died" a while ago,

or rather, i diagnosed it as dead or dying and stopped using it.

I found this guide today, and got out my player with the intention of doing the fix.

I turned it on to test it was dead, and guess what? It starts playing again, no problems, just like new.

Could it be possible that this ribbon cable is breaking? rather than broken?

maybe its getting loose so it random works and doesnt work, is this possible?

Hi!

You have big chance to have a semi-broken ribbon cable. You might prevent it from breaking by locating the problem and strenghtening the ribbon. Maybe...

I hope you won't get a broken ribbon.

Btw, I'm still not ready with the repair and I won't play with it for another several months for sure...

hey, my N1 "died" a while ago,

or rather, i diagnosed it as dead or dying and stopped using it.

I found this guide today, and got out my player with the intention of doing the fix.

I turned it on to test it was dead, and guess what? It starts playing again, no problems, just like new.

Could it be possible that this ribbon cable is breaking? rather than broken?

maybe its getting loose so it random works and doesnt work, is this possible?

I have a N1 with BLANKDISK record error. I dont want to try to repair it myself.

Anyone have any recent info on the cost of repair in the USA?

Where do I send it, how much does it cost, how long is the turnaround time?

Any independent repair facility (not some guy at home using non SONY parts ad hoc)?

thanks

Gary

Edited by GARYINLA

I have a N1 with BLANKDISK record error. I dont want to try to repair it myself.

Anyone have any recent info on the cost of repair in the USA?

Where do I send it, how much does it cost, how long is the turnaround time?

Any independent repair facility (not some guy at home using non SONY parts ad hoc)?

thanks

Gary

Gary, if you are still interested, I repair Sony minidiscs. See my ID on eBay- jacques.noir

Contact me if you haven't repaired your unit for further information.

Masondixon

Hello.

i am getting this nv error on my screen. that's all. my net md does not respond to any buttons. can anyone help on this. What does nv error mean? thanks

:clapping: Just wanted to say thanks for the info in the original post. I had the exact same problem with my MZ-N1 and after much wailing and gnashing of teeth decided to bite the bullet and try the ribbon cable repair for myself. Worked a treat! Now all I need to do is get the damn OpenMG software working again as it keeps freezing (endless hourglass) once the main window loads up on startup....Tried all the usual suspects but no luck yet.. :help:

:clapping: Just wanted to say thanks for the info in the original post. I had the exact same problem with my MZ-N1 and after much wailing and gnashing of teeth decided to bite the bullet and try the ribbon cable repair for myself. Worked a treat! Now all I need to do is get the damn OpenMG software working again as it keeps freezing (endless hourglass) once the main window loads up on startup....Tried all the usual suspects but no luck yet.. :help:

I am curious how you repaired the cable. Did you order one from SONY and replace the failed one or what??

I am curious how you repaired the cable. Did you order one from SONY and replace the failed one or what??

There was a repair listed a few years ago using headphone cable from cheap headphones (the thin braided cables_, must be what was used.

Bob

bobt is correct. I used some thin wire from an old headphone set (in this case an old cell phone handsfree earpiece) as suggested in the original post. It was pretty tricky as I'm not the best solderer in the world. I had trouble 'tinning' the thin coated wires with solder at first but solved this problem by burning the end 2mm or so of the wires with a flame. (hold the wires in pliers with only the bit you want to strip sticking out the end or else the flame will take off down the wire and burn away more insulation caoting than you want.) Once I got the wires tinned with a little solder, joining then to the solder points on the overwrite head and the main board wasn't as hard. You just need a bit of a steady hand and a little patience. :good:

bobt is correct. I used some thin wire from an old headphone set (in this case an old cell phone handsfree earpiece) as suggested in the original post. It was pretty tricky as I'm not the best solderer in the world. I had trouble 'tinning' the thin coated wires with solder at first but solved this problem by burning the end 2mm or so of the wires with a flame. (hold the wires in pliers with only the bit you want to strip sticking out the end or else the flame will take off down the wire and burn away more insulation caoting than you want.) Once I got the wires tinned with a little solder, joining then to the solder points on the overwrite head and the main board wasn't as hard. You just need a bit of a steady hand and a little patience. :good:

Sheesh! Brain surgery next. B)

I just found this thread and I'm so happy I finally found an explanation / solution for that problem (I am using MZ-N707, I suppose the blankdisc-problem is as common with the n707 as it is with the n1).

As soon as I get home I will try to fix it.

But noone described how that recording-problem evolved yet, right? I used OpenMG Jukebox (it sucks..) and one day I couldn't listen to the song I just transferred. It was on the MD with tag and original length and everything but when I tried to play it there was silence..

I suspected an error on the disc itself (some songs had interruptions) so I tried moving the songs around on the MD and all the sudden it worked.

But a couple of transfers later it wouldn't work again and so I had the assumption that the scratches (or whatever it was) on the MD weren't the problem..

Since then I haven't been able to transfer songs anymore and in the worst case it would even erase my MD (I had worked for months on that compilation :( ) - the "BLANKDISC"-problem.

Has anyone else had these problems in that sequence? Especially with the N707?

But thanks again to purenagst for that great instruction!

hi all,

I just signed up specifically to reply to this thread. I bought my first MD off ebay the other day quite cheap. Well alas after i had left them feedback, i discovered that it would not write to the discs, and kept saying "BLANKDISC". RAAHHH

Anyhow, thanks very much to this thread and instructions, i have today fixed it. I cannot believe that it works, it was really rather dodgy. I also cannot believe that people make earphones that are as terrible as the ones i paid 2$ for today, perhaps all the BLANKDISC fixers are keepin them in business :).

Thanks for the detailed instructions, and hopefully i have attached a pic of my handiwork for all y'all to see. Time to go screw it back together.post-57734-1182406010_thumb.jpg

BYE

TNX A LOTTTT u saved my day

this worked on mi r700. so i think that should work on any sony minidisc from the mz series...

also,.. i dont think thats the recording head as some say, i think its more like an erasing head, like in cassette walkmans.. but im not really sure...

again... tnx... my minidisc is alive againt...

ps: how you say it walkmans or walkmen??? interesting question... LOL,... anyway sorry about my rusty english

Edited by felip3

Hi !!

I had an MZ-N505 that died by blank discc err....

Now I have an MZ-NHF800 and two MZ-RH1 afther looking this pages... anybody knows if blank disc erro is a general isue with all MD units ?

If this isue happend on all MD units, can we demand Sony for it? Cause RH1 isn't cheap

Thanks

hi all,

I just signed up specifically to reply to this thread. I bought my first MD off ebay the other day quite cheap. Well alas after i had left them feedback, i discovered that it would not write to the discs, and kept saying "BLANKDISC". RAAHHH

Anyhow, thanks very much to this thread and instructions, i have today fixed it. I cannot believe that it works, it was really rather dodgy. I also cannot believe that people make earphones that are as terrible as the ones i paid 2$ for today, perhaps all the BLANKDISC fixers are keepin them in business :).

Thanks for the detailed instructions, and hopefully i have attached a pic of my handiwork for all y'all to see. Time to go screw it back together.post-71531-1227113566.jpg

BYE

Thanks, this image is worth a 1000. The original article by pureangst answers a lot of questions and was very well done. I have a feeling I will be doing this soon to my MZ G750. I just bought it used on Craigslist and surprise surprise. gah.

S

I have one MZ-R700 and one MZ-N1. With both MDs I still can play and alter the play mode. Now they have exactly the same problem however, before I start taking them apart I'd like to make sure we are talking about the same "wiring" issues. With both units if I record, it sais on the display first "Data Save" for a few seconds and the "TOC Edit". The disc stays blank. If I record on a partly recorded disc it does the same but erases the entire disc. If I insert a T Mark in a song it also erases the whole disc. I checked if recording via the computer with OpenMG Jukebox (only MZ-N1) would bypass the problem. No it didn't. I cleaned the heads with 96% alcohol but no changes. Thanks

Instead of pushing down on the left chasis arm to 'load the disc', you can detach the left chasis arm (by pulling it gently to the left farther), and let the chasis , along with the disc, drop into the loaded position. Get something to keep the right chasis arm down (as it activates a switch that tells the unit the cover is closed, allowing you to turn it on).

You should be able to turn on and play the disc using the controls on the top casing, while being able to see the disc spin and the magnetic head track across the disc surface. Pay attention to how high it floats above the disc (vertical distance)

thx for the great guide so far!

i'm stuck at this point with my mz nh700. it does not play the disc because i cannot cheat the unit into believing the lid is closed. i assume there is a connection between upper case and the main board!? how can i get the thing to run without the upper case??

5524f12886269.gif

Edited by bonuspunkt

thx for this post dude. I'm like 90% fixed now for the player... 1 big problem still... when i was picking at the glue to get the record arm off i accidently "slid" the entire arm down a bit... then after i put it together it won't record. I opened it back up and "slid" the arm as far to the middle as possible... and it now records 90% perfectly. the first 2 tracks don't record correctly (showing 0:00 play time) but everything after that records and plays perfectly. How do i pull myself completely out of this hole and finally stamp my poor mz-n1 as resurrected?

Edit: Just wanted to add that putting in my pre recorded mds (b4 my md had the error) I was able to successfully play the first track of the disc so it looks like it's a recording issue. Have you guys ever listened thru your headphones to the player while ur loading songs to it thru the pc? I can hear wierd buzzing and electrical noises. I dunno if that's normal

Edit2: crap... i dont' know what i did now... but i made thigns worse and it keeps going blank disc :(

Edited by st165