Sony Insider Forums
pureangst

A Solution To Blankdisc And Recording Problems.

Rate this topic

EDIT:

I think I fixed it. I just had to bend the head back in place(I hope it holds).

My minidisc player stopped being able to record about 2 months ago. Its a MZ-NF520D. I've looked at the guide and it seems like the write head isn't touching the disc at all. How do I keep it in the right spot? Should I use stirafome, a piece of wire, plastic?

Edited by Snow pawson

Hi! I have the exact same problem that you described here

The only problem is that i don't really speak well english, and i'm not very good with electricity language..

is there a translated guide to spanish of the same problem??

Thanks a lot! I really want to repair my MZ-N505

Hi! I have the exact same problem that you described here

The only problem is that i don't really speak well english, and i'm not very good with electricity language..

is there a translated guide to spanish of the same problem??

Thanks a lot! I really want to repair my MZ-N505

For the rime and effort to fix a 505 you can get a far better MD unit on ebay, or in second habd stores etc. If you really want to try, there is a how to in this forum, babelfish can translate,

Good luck,

Bob

I found my mini disk recorder yesterday and thought, awesome!

Until I tried to actually record something.. So today I start to google and voila I end up here, I strip my device and discover the exact same fault as described with the snapped ribbon and proceeded to fix with the enamel coated strands of wire..

Omg, I can barely see the connections as I am soldering them, the wire is _that_ thin.

Anyway, after going blind from trying to see what I am doing I have a fully functioning mini disk recorder now, .. 5 years after the original post too, this thread is just pure gold.

Thanks a lot guys, for the suggestion and service manuals, etc.

Edited by tikka

Right said.

Really a good explanation and very well explained

Regroupement credits

Why do I think this post isn't real?

Anyway it turns out I did this hack yesterday. I actually ignored the exhortation to use headphone wire so I may be doing it again. But it works quite fine (at the moment).

Turns out the biggest problem was some guck where the overwrite head travels. this may even be what caused the ribbon cable to break in the first place.

I've a pretty good idea the guck was from a sticky label.

This was very helpful and some really good tips i might take apart my g750 again and look at the mag head again.

Is it possible to buzz out the mag head with like a multi meter to see if it working as its just a coil right?

This was very helpful and some really good tips i might take apart my g750 again and look at the mag head again.

Is it possible to buzz out the mag head with like a multi meter to see if it working as its just a coil right?

The coil has a DC resistance of 3.6 ohms if I remember correctly, but take it from me the coil is not the problem. The flexible connector that feeds the head has cracked. It is a common problem on certain models, mostly the N1, R700 and G750, but the N505/707 are also susceptible and a few others. If you remove the upper casing (four screws, two each side) it should be immediately obvious to you. Needs to be replaced, or some say it is possible to wire across with flexible wire such as headphone cable core. Personally I replace, as I feel there may be problems down the line with earphone cables.

Jim

HI-MD RECORDING PROBLEMS

Hello Everyone!

For a start a big shout to Pureangs for finding the solution to recording issues on MD's, you are a Genius! If people follow all the steps it really works ! Thanks, you've helped me to bring my N710 back to life again!!

However I can't figure out how to fix my HI-MD NH600.

In step 7 when it comes to "detach the metal arm that carries the magnetic head from the rest of the MD by

removing the single screw that secures it" I don't see the screw, it's rather a fitted bold and it's glued down as well.

I attached pictures so you guys can see. And after inspecting ribbon cable with x20 magnifying glass I couldn't find anything broken, so I assume that my recording head is just dead :).

I have a question if this solution apply to the HI-MD models and have another question about my 1GB disks, which I was using before I lost recording ability. If my broken NH600 can't read them, whether itself or under software (HIMD Renderer, SonicStage), will they be readable under another HIMD, or I lost data forever?

Thank you!

post-133157-0-77567000-1365156843_thumb.

post-133157-0-47320400-1365156853_thumb.

Hi macbob. It is highly unlikely to be the write head or its cable at fault. In my experience faults such as this are caused by the optical pickup assembly on Hi-MD recorders. And replacement is a very delicate job. The disc may or may not play back on another unit - it depends on the nature of the problem. But it is certainly worth trying before reformatting it.

Jim

• Like 1

To prove Jim correct, try PLAYING a regular MD (SP, or MDLP) only. If it works then your surmise may be correct, but if not then he is right and the laser head is busted. Correct Jim? I'm talking about a disk you make with some other unit which you know works, of course.

The problem is that for HiMD because of the excessive encryption used, that Sony has to WRITE to the disk just to upload music data from HiMD to PC. Which is ridiculous, IMHO. Sure, I grok the technical reasons, but that just shows the whole architecture is a bit unreliable. Once you've messed up a HiMD disk there's generally no way to recover the data at all, because (essentially, if not exactly) the encryption key includes stuff specific to each file. Sony themselves have a back door of sorts but it's not yet clear if we can use it.

Thanks Jim for a reply.

I though so it's gonna be something else.Well I just need to be patient ,and get hold of another HIMD in the future. For the time being i just bought another md recorder: Sharp MT99 +10 pre-recorded disks in Depford flea market, all for only fiver! It works superb and I absolutely love it !!

Hello sfbp

I tried to play ordinary discs on it and it reads, however if I try record something and put mark on the track it erases whole discs. Im unsing my old good NETmd and Sharp at the moment. Hi-md disk was a good idea to come with, but without having a backup of it, is just too risky and fragile way of storing your data.

Thank you guys for a quick replies

:)

I guess you and I won the bet.... but Jim really is the expert. If it needs an over write head, I think he has them and is the only person I know with the skill to fit it. I've got one unit with no over write head that I need fixing, too.

Yes, it works fine if a good job is made of it, as you appear to have.

But be aware that with the intermittent movement of the sled (and thus the write head too), the enamel coating of the wires may become worn and allow short circuits to the metal chassis and to each other! But then, you can just fit replacement cables again.

Jim

Hello all, I hope I posted in the right place :mda:

This week I bought my first md player sony mz-n505 second-hand and I encountered some problems.

I can't transfer music from pc->md because I get the beautiful "nv err" and md make a click and shut-down.

Recording from line-in is working, the player work very well and it reads all track,

I tried all the solutions: reinstall sonicstage(win 7 64 bits), reinstal drivers, reintialize parameters from service mode....but nothing.

When I try to transfer a file I get "Unable to transfer the track or tracks"

When I try to reinitialize the disk I get "Initialization of the media failed" (error code: 0000662e)

Any advice willl be helpfull.

Thanks in advance!

Hello everyone.
My name is Cristian and I am new to this forum, which actually chasing him for a long time "outside" ..
First, I apologize for my poor English.
Secondly, please help me with a problem:
I got a Sony MDS-303 with magnetic write head broken. Can someone help me with this? Or a reference to a user store or something that sells? Or a full mechanics for Sale?
Thank you!
Cristian

Hello everyone.

My name is Cristian and I am new to this forum, which actually chasing him for a long time "outside" ..

First, I apologize for my poor English.

Secondly, please help me with a problem:

I got a Sony MDS-303 with magnetic write head broken. Can someone help me with this? Or a reference to a user store or something that sells? Or a full mechanics for Sale?

Thank you!

Cristian

Personaly I have here in Vietnam the solution as I have my favourite MD deck seller & repair engineer friend Pham Cu (phamcu in this forum). Pham Cu has a stock of lens, hacked from some units.

His is right now proposing to give (not sell) a little stock of "Sony Optical Pick-up KMS-260B/E and KMS-262" here,

but not fitted for your MDS-303 as your can check here,

http://jonathan.dupre.free.fr/repair/audio/sony/minidisc/minidisc_devices_opu.txt

I suppose that he can eventually find for you the right lens, so please fell free to contact him directly (Sony Insider PM).

hello,

this my first post on this forum, please, excuse my english.

I write here just to say that I discover (maybe everybodies know it) that a player with blankdisc problem is the "TrProtect" answer.

We know that a MD created with SonicStage (netmd) can not be erased without SonicStage if it is protected. Some say it is possible with old decks (non MDLP).

What I discover is that if I record fews seconds at the end on a "TrProtected" MD with a broken recorder/player that has the blankdisc problem, saving TOC etc, after ejecting and re-inserting it, the MD is blank. It's because no TOC and data was saved, because the recorder can not do it anymore and erase the entire md.

So, if you have some TrProtect MDs and a recorder with the blankdisc problem, first erase your old MDs before repair the recorder. (if like me, you do not or can't use software for your md) :good: