Removing scratches from LCD screens? [i.e. remotes, etc]

Rate this topic

Plexus, and / or any product that is recommended for plastic visors. I have used a Plexus like product that I bought from a motorcycle shop which is used to polish scratches from my motorcycle helmet visor.

Should work on the LCDs on the MiniDiscs, definitely works on watches and iPod Shuffle bodies.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One more vote for the 3-step Novus plastic polish & scratch removal product. I had a couple of grody scuff marks smack in the middle of my RM-MC40ELK remote's display. Cleaned first with the #1 cleaner (which is a clear liquid). Then applied a small dab of #2 polish/fine scratch remover (a tan lotion-like consistency). Scratch was better but still there. Repeated process with the same #2 but applied a bit more pressure (instead of moving up to the #3 heavy scratch remover). Scratches be gone, and display is crystal clear once again.

Here's the place I bought it...cheaper than Amazon and "free" shipping (if you don't count their $2.50 "handling" charge).

http://www.spadepot.com/products/005novus.htm

I used the toothpaste method on my LCD wall clock which fell off my wall and scratched itself on my bedside table :angry:. Looks a lot better than it did, thanks Kurisu! I may use this method on my NW-A3000 which didn't take too long to scratch, I was being so careful with it as well :(. Am I right in saying that the covers for LCD screens are a mixture of plastic and glass? Would this method work on, say, the windscreen of a car?

I used the toothpaste method on my LCD wall clock which fell off my wall and scratched itself on my bedside table :angry:. Looks a lot better than it did, thanks Kurisu! I may use this method on my NW-A3000 which didn't take too long to scratch, I was being so careful with it as well :(. Am I right in saying that the covers for LCD screens are a mixture of plastic and glass? Would this method work on, say, the windscreen of a car?

can you imagine a neighbor's reaction when they see you scrubbing toothpast all over your windshield? :lol::lol:

• 2 months later...

Hey cool....I just tried the toothpaste method of removing scratches on my rm-mc38el remote that came with my nh900.

I had a few little scratches on it and one that was slightly more noticeable then the rest.

After the toothpaste trick...all gone! Well, unless you really, really go looking for them and even then you can only just make out the largest of the scratches that I had.

Thanks a lot :P

• 3 weeks later...

Well, let me jump in with my two cents on removing scratches...

Tools:

Clean, dry terry cloth or towel.

3M rubbing compound, $3 (can be found at kragen, autozone, any auto supply store)

Put a VERY small amount onto a small part of your cloth. Rub ony surface and spread evenly. Then, using a dry part of your cloth, buff it in a circular motion. RUB HARD, until all the white goes away. Then, keep rubbing for a little bit after that just to make sure.

I've used this trick to succesfully remove scratches from:

MD players/recorders

MD remotes

iPod 3 gen

iPod Mini

my car

It works like a charm. The 3M rubbing compound actually dissolves a microscopic layer off the top of the LCD, or makes it more malleable. Then you buff it to redistribute and gloss the dissolved layer back into the main LCD. This is what auto detailers use to remove light scratches off cars. It's not harmful, but if you have sensitive hands, wear gloves.

Sounds dangerous, but not really. You can't really mess it up, and trust me I've done it enough times... at least once every 4 months on my old iPod. You can repeat if you want as many times as you like. Anyways, enjoy!

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

For scratches you get on your watch my friend takes an eraser and starts erasing away. Although I haven't tried it myself it works for him. Might also work for light scratches on lcds.

P.S. Use a soft eraser, like the gummy ones, don't try it with another type.

Edited by Sparda

• 3 months later...

Peanut Butter works really well. I have employed the use of it on Laser Discs with nasty scratches, CDs, DVDs, adn my car unit screen that I damaged the day I installed it in 1997. I can vouch for tooth past too. Be careful for displays with an anti reflective coating. I cleaned up some scratches on an XM radio display and found out that I removed the anti-reflective coating.

Simichrompoli, the German fine polish by Happich. Super on brass and silver, it is a very fine paste of jewelers rouge. It can polish a scratch out of a watch crystal. It will polish, not scratch. Toothpaste is pretty coarse so you might want to use this polish after the toothpaste. Found in auto stores and German car dealers at the parts desk. One tube will last you a lifetime as it is used very sparingly for any polishing. B)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Another option is the stuff used to clean caravan window scratches (comes in a tube) and if you know someone with a caravan, (or even a light aircraft!) chances are they have some or know a mate who does. A tiny amount is all that's needed and I used it on my vintage caravan's windows and also my terribly scratched watch. It is a polish too, so ends up gleaming :D

Edited by TygerBrightly

• 7 years later...
  • 11 months later...

I've successfully removed deep scratches from my remote screen by continually rubbing the screen with my fingernail whenever I'm out and about with my MD Walkman. My fingernail is pretty soft so it can't scratch the flat unscratched parts but it does rub the 'ridges' away causing the scratches to go away.

• 4 years later...

I know I'm reviving this but it's a sticky thread so I guess it's fine. 

I can recommend using a car headlight polish/scratch removing paste. It's dirt cheap and I've been successfully in using it to buff out some pretty aggressive scratches on PS1 games as well as a Sega Game Gear plastic screen lens to a point where some games got revived and the lens was shiny instead of matted with scratches. 

For the lens I used small car buffing pads with different hardness and for the cds just paper towels. And as in the original post, circular motion is key. 

The particular brand of polish I used was K2 headlight buffing paste (a white one) which is available in Poland and probably in most European countries. I assume any polishing pastę that can be applied by hand will work. 

Cheers! 

38 minutes ago, BearBoy said:

Not tried it myself but I think @kgallen has used it successfully. 

I use the wadding type Brasso.

Indeed I used it yesterday to remove a few scratches from the screen of my MDS-E10. In this case I made a few moderate passes with the wadding, working in a circular motion, buffing off each time then doing another pass. Need to keep on the main bit of the screen though and stay away from any screen printed legends. On the E10 the VU meter levels are printed in white along the bottom edge.

On the Techmoan example he gives it a good ole working to remove those scratches from the remote screen. In that instance he wasn’t working on anything particularly valuable, but it seems to demonstrate that once you are sure with the process it can be very effective. 

I think it also depends to a degree on the type of plastic used. I don't think I have tried Brasso, but for example on my MZ-E620 which has a kind of glossy transparent plastic front, I was able to remove scratches with a small amount of a cream called "Polywatch" watch glass scratch remover, that I got for a couple of pounds off Amazon UK.

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

I think it also depends to a degree on the type of plastic used. I don't think I have tried Brasso, but for example on my MZ-E620 which has a kind of glossy transparent plastic front, I was able to remove scratches with a small amount of a cream called "Polywatch" watch glass scratch remover, that I got for a couple of pounds of Amazon UK.

Yeah, Sega Game Gear for example has a slightly soft lens that's on the rubbery side so it was hard to get a good shine. 

My Sharp MD-SR70 on the other hand has a hard type of plastic used but it's also flexible so I'm kind of afraid of cracking if I use too much pressure. It only has a few tiny scratches so it might be easy to buff out, though.