Christopher

Removing scratches from LCD screens? [i.e. remotes, etc]

Rate this topic

58 posts in this topic

i would send it to u, since ur not far away, i'm in new york and ur in maryland, but since i'm about to sell the minidisc to someone, who doesn't care about the imperfections the minidisc has right now, their still willing to buy it off of me.  thanks for caring though.  by the way, what is an avatar, i can't find that word in the dictionary.

First off, I would think that toothpaste on an LCD screen would make it considerably worse. Toothpaste has a very fine abrasive in it, and anything abrasive will cause more scratches not less.

Secondly, What dictionary did you look up avatar in?

One entry found for avatar.

Main Entry: av·a·tar

Pronunciation: 'a-v&-"tär

Function: noun

Etymology: Sanskrit avatAra descent, from avatarati he descends, from ava- away + tarati he crosses over -- more at UKASE, THROUGH

1 : the incarnation of a Hindu deity (as Vishnu)

2 a : an incarnation in human form b : an embodiment (as of a concept or philosophy) often in a person

3 : a variant phase or version of a continuing basic entity

Which essentially means a graphical representation of your personality.

Eagle

i always loved english class

abrasives are used to polish anything if they're small grained enough, so baking soda toothpaste makes perfect sense to me.

Secondly, What dictionary did you look up avatar in?

Just use google and type "define:avatar". You'll get more than a dozen results but this is the first one:

"A digital representation of a user in a virtual reality site."

Seems to just about cover it.

and hey, robin, don't you think that the picture i have can be called an avatar, or am i wrong, just like eaglesnest pointed out

and hey, robin, don't you think that the picture i have can be called an avatar, or am i wrong, just like eaglesnest pointed out

Personally I would say so, the picture is graphical, and if that is a representation of your personality, then Yes you could call that an avatar...

Eagle

ok. so why the english class lesson then?

"Gone with the Paste"

"Scratchbusters"

"Swabber-Man"

"Back to the Toothpaste"

"The Dot-Matrix Display Reloaded"

or maybe just "Screen Saver"

lmao great names! i like screen saver and gone with the paste lol

if u have silver metal polish, i've used that before with great success! i use the same way i use it on metal silverware.

rub on with qtip

swirl it around till it dries

then buff off w/tissue

then i usually use a damp tissue for a final cleaning.

wow, i need to see this movie biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Novus Plastic Polish. Three-step plastic polish system. used it to remove a scratch on the MZ-1's display.

Paul

Novus Plastic Polish.  Three-step plastic polish system.  used it to remove a scratch on the MZ-1's display.

Paul

This suff sounds like the "right tool for the job"; though as others have stated you'll find varying degrees of success with other methods. Toothpaste one is usually a good one. I prefer to use car polishes/waxes as these work quite well as well. For light "swirl mark" type scratches 3M Imperial Hand Glaze should be good as well (afterall that is what it is essentially for on cars wink.gif ).

But the Novus stuff sounds like it might be the best way to go since it is intended for plastic. Novus is that the same company that has the glass repair systems for automotive glass (like winsheilds, etc.)?

Easier to find and cheaper than the Novus polish is Meguiar's PlastX (about $6), which is available at auto parts stores. Apply with a Dremel tool using one of the felt buffing tips like a #422.

Using this stuff with the Dremel allows you to polish out even major scratches, and the results are pretty impressive. I've used it on plastic watch crystals and on some iPods with great results.

Wow, lots of concern on scratches. Why don't you use an LCD repair kit for 6 bucks? I use Merlin's LCD Magic, which fixed pavement scratches. I have seen other LCD repair kits on the net too. Anyway, scratches are a good way to personalize, unless they are obstructing the screen.

Welcome to the forums. I always recommend an official solution, but this is sort of a DIY method that works really well. Thanks for the tip on Merlin's.

Plexus, and / or any product that is recommended for plastic visors. I have used a Plexus like product that I bought from a motorcycle shop which is used to polish scratches from my motorcycle helmet visor.

Should work on the LCDs on the MiniDiscs, definitely works on watches and iPod Shuffle bodies.

One more vote for the 3-step Novus plastic polish & scratch removal product. I had a couple of grody scuff marks smack in the middle of my RM-MC40ELK remote's display. Cleaned first with the #1 cleaner (which is a clear liquid). Then applied a small dab of #2 polish/fine scratch remover (a tan lotion-like consistency). Scratch was better but still there. Repeated process with the same #2 but applied a bit more pressure (instead of moving up to the #3 heavy scratch remover). Scratches be gone, and display is crystal clear once again.

Here's the place I bought it...cheaper than Amazon and "free" shipping (if you don't count their $2.50 "handling" charge).

http://www.spadepot.com/products/005novus.htm

I used the toothpaste method on my LCD wall clock which fell off my wall and scratched itself on my bedside table :angry:. Looks a lot better than it did, thanks Kurisu! I may use this method on my NW-A3000 which didn't take too long to scratch, I was being so careful with it as well :(. Am I right in saying that the covers for LCD screens are a mixture of plastic and glass? Would this method work on, say, the windscreen of a car?

I used the toothpaste method on my LCD wall clock which fell off my wall and scratched itself on my bedside table :angry:. Looks a lot better than it did, thanks Kurisu! I may use this method on my NW-A3000 which didn't take too long to scratch, I was being so careful with it as well :(. Am I right in saying that the covers for LCD screens are a mixture of plastic and glass? Would this method work on, say, the windscreen of a car?

can you imagine a neighbor's reaction when they see you scrubbing toothpast all over your windshield? :lol::lol:

Hey cool....I just tried the toothpaste method of removing scratches on my rm-mc38el remote that came with my nh900.

I had a few little scratches on it and one that was slightly more noticeable then the rest.

After the toothpaste trick...all gone! Well, unless you really, really go looking for them and even then you can only just make out the largest of the scratches that I had.

Thanks a lot :P

Well, let me jump in with my two cents on removing scratches...

Tools:

Clean, dry terry cloth or towel.

3M rubbing compound, $3 (can be found at kragen, autozone, any auto supply store)

Put a VERY small amount onto a small part of your cloth. Rub ony surface and spread evenly. Then, using a dry part of your cloth, buff it in a circular motion. RUB HARD, until all the white goes away. Then, keep rubbing for a little bit after that just to make sure.

I've used this trick to succesfully remove scratches from:

MD players/recorders

MD remotes

iPod 3 gen

iPod Mini

my car

It works like a charm. The 3M rubbing compound actually dissolves a microscopic layer off the top of the LCD, or makes it more malleable. Then you buff it to redistribute and gloss the dissolved layer back into the main LCD. This is what auto detailers use to remove light scratches off cars. It's not harmful, but if you have sensitive hands, wear gloves.

Sounds dangerous, but not really. You can't really mess it up, and trust me I've done it enough times... at least once every 4 months on my old iPod. You can repeat if you want as many times as you like. Anyways, enjoy!

Novus is to be used in the opposite direction.. #3, then #2, then #1