Sonic Stage and Windows 7

Rate this topic

Anthony

Let me kick off this forum by stating that I have installed SS 4.3 on Windows 7 RC without any problems whatsoever. It looks like the "no longer supported" software will continue to work for some time yet. This is good news for those of us that have older NW models. I still use (and love) my NW-HD1. it is the only device I have seen to date that works perfectly as an "in car" device due to the line out facility. I was getting a little worried that ATRAC was going to brick this player before it's time.

Well ,...... hmm Win 7 is really supposed to be a Fix for Vista . So I cant see MS ditching support for software they formerly supported just to change the system .I dont think that would be very wise of them at this point , Considering the debacle with Vista .

So for Windows users it should be good news , and LESS headaches ???!?!!! Maybe .. :huh:

• 5 weeks later...

Diskette, Avrin, I have had installed W7 in my 3 years old tabletpc since Beta, now RC, and previously had Vista.

Although I don't blame Vista so much as everybody (because features for tablets was better than those in XP) it's true that out of the box it was slowly (although you could tunned it, but that's not the matter). But W7 is really really faster than Vista, and, at least in my tablet, faster (an more stable) than XP, and SonicStage 4.3 works like a charm in it :D So I recommend to install W7 if you can.

PD: no, I don't work for Microsoft or any of its partners...but if they are reading this and like to send me a W7 ultimate edition for my "evangelism" it would be appreciated :P

Uppps,Sorry Avrin, don't want to get you angry :S

I was meant that anyone who is thinking about installing W7 ,whatever the reason was, (in my situation, because tablet pc features are waaaaay better in W7 than in XP) should try it, because it works very well. Of course, if you don't want/need it in any situation, and you're ok with XP (or 2000, or 98, or linux...) you are free to continue with it.

PD: I don't want to begin a fight, but I have seen a lot of computers, not only my tablet, and not only new ones, (yes, i'm the family and friend's "technician" :P) that works better (I mean, more stable and faster) with W7, even with Vista, than with 2000 and XP. Of course, also haveseen the opposite side :D

Maybe it's my configuration but I find W7 RC a right pain. It's slower than Vista and often hangs whilst opening applications. My PC is only 2 yrs old. As an experienced user I can only assume that the fact that I am a heavy user is the reason for this. However, you would expect a modern O.S to cope with heavy use. I would move to APPLE but for two reasons. No Walkman support and MS Flight Simulator ( my favorite waste of time) are incompatible.

Guest Talisin

Maybe it's my configuration but I find W7 RC a right pain. It's slower than Vista and often hangs whilst opening applications. My PC is only 2 yrs old. As an experienced user I can only assume that the fact that I am a heavy user is the reason for this. However, you would expect a modern O.S to cope with heavy use. I would move to APPLE but for two reasons. No Walkman support and MS Flight Simulator ( my favorite waste of time) are incompatible.

Hi Anthony. And you're the real test that OSs doesn't work the same way for all users :P

I'm also an experienced user and my tablet is older than your pc and it works perfectly with w7, but as I have said, I just recommend it people to try it without fear of it exploding their pcs :P Maybe it works well for them, maybe no (although for my tests with many computers, I expected it works, but who knows...)

And trying to be helpful for you, I tried yesterday MS Flight simulator 2004 and a beta of FS X under W7 in my tablet and they work well (well, the load well, but my integrated graphic card is not too powerful :P) Have you try it or is just an advertance in a list of incompability software? Cause I have found some programs that shouldn't work under W7 and actually they work :S

Oh! what I don't know is there is no walkman support, cause I don't have any walkman, only MD. I'd supposed that given there is more modern walkmans than MD, and given w7 supports the last also would support the first :S What a strange drivers support, isn't it? :S

Agree that generally W7 works smoothly, way better than Vista. Off the top of my head I would guess you have some lingering network configuration issue. Look in the Event log, I don't need to tell you where that is :) I saw lots of (I think) 4373 messages because of access control on a network. Once I turned off auditing Security failures that helped quite a bit.

I also had some strange issues with the Sata drive I added to my machine to run W7 without getting rid of the original boot drive.

The big change in W7 is that many small components get started on the fly (eg opening a dialog box is like running a small program). The consequence is that any time you have some path in the search order that causes hangups (like a network share you used in the path that's not there), you will have trouble.

Hope this helps

Stephen

• 1 year later...