RIP all of your MiniDisc to PC into WAV format

Rate this topic

Hello MiniDisc fans.

Just imagine, you have 200, 500, or even 1000 MiniDiscs. The titling and editing seems difficult to you. You want to use the comfort of your PC and rename, normalize etc. all your Audio with no restrictions with all Audio Tools available on PC.

What to do now?

I have found a solution to rip all MiniDiscs without losing the quality, and its surely not difficult though.

First go to the

http://www.waverec.de/

and download this program. Set the date of your PC into the year 2000 (or before will do too). Do some settings in the program (check those out by your own... i cant put the screenshots right in here).

Select the input Source of your soundcard (a Creative SL Live EMU10k [or better] is recommended due to perfection quality in recording or playback). You can select LINE-IN or DIGITAL-IN, depending how you have connected you MD to PC.

On your MD-Player, enable the 3 Seconds A.SPACE. After every track, there will be 3 Seconds silence. This ist required for the WAVEREC.de recorder.

RECORD-LEVEL CALIBRATION of soundcard

Set the LINE-IN RECORD-LEVEL to 100 % (not too Loud and not too silent). You can use the Exact Audio Copy Recording Level Meter for this, if you want.

IF you record over DIGITAL-IN, let the RECORD-LEVEL to 100 %.

Now start recording in waverec.de, and then press play on your MD-UNIT. Every time, when a new song starts, the program will create a new WAV-file. Thats perfect.

You can even set the Soundcard-Source REC-Level, it will automatically save it and load it every time you start the program.

My recommendation for you: Dont use any MP3 on the fly encoders while recording or so. Just use 100 % WAV (Mono or Stereo, whatever you desire) because WAV is 100 % lossless digital RAW-Format and the perfect quality.

Now good luck to you. i have ripped all of my more than 100 MDs with this method, and now i dont use MiniDisc for primary saving anymore. I my HDD, and all the WAV files are in MONO, so i have the DOUBLE of Capacity. The titling and renaming of the tracks is very easier with the PC than on the Remote of the MDS-JE 520 of course. When i search a song, its very easy for me to find it in PC. It was very difficult for me to find one song in those more than 100 MDs.

:wacky:

Hehe.

However if you wished to transfer these songs back to MD through SonicStage or Simple Burner, you'd have to encode them again, and you'd eat compression artifacts a second time. Even if you recorded them the slow way, it would still compress again and you'd still lose quality.

I'd like to know just how much HDD space 200 MDs worth of songs takes up in linear PCM format, even in half-sized monaural mode. :laugh:

For a slightly simpler way of retitling your music, if you have SonicStage and a NetMD/Hi-MD unit, just put the MD into the unit, connect to USB, and you should be able to retitle the tracks through SonicStage even if they were recorded via line or optical input.

Just my two cents. :happy:

• 2 weeks later...

Hehe. However if you wished to transfer these songs back to MD through SonicStage or Simple Burner, you'd have to encode them again, and you'd eat compression artifacts a second time. Even if you recorded them the slow way, it would still compress again and you'd still lose quality.

########## saving on WAV does not provide any data precision loss. for encoding into ATRAC 3plus (256kbits) of course will cause precision loss, but thats why i want the ability to upload in pure PCM. but sonic stage 2.0 does not support that. just damn advertisement by sony.

I'd like to know just how much HDD space 200 MDs worth of songs takes up in linear PCM format, even in half-sized monaural mode. :laugh:

########## all you need is a calculator, now start calculating... i got around 100 MDs (MDW74 only), i have them all recorded in MONO. from MD to PC i have recorded into MONO-WAV-16Bits-44100hz. Do you know how to calculate? you should know that as a HI-FI Queen........

:laugh:

For a slightly simpler way of retitling your music, if you have SonicStage and a NetMD/Hi-MD unit, just put the MD into the unit, connect to USB, and you should be able to retitle the tracks through SonicStage even if they were recorded via line or optical input.

########## i will never do that, it impossible to download a song, even if its recorded on MD through line in, the software even does not start the operation only if the write protection is enabled...... i dont know what will this damn sonic stage is about to do to my MDs........ and i will never let happen! my MDs are too important to me!

i will never do that, it impossible to download a song, even if its recorded on MD through line in, the software even does not start the operation only if the write protection is enabled...... i dont know what will this damn sonic stage is about to do to my MDs........ and i will never let happen! my MDs are too important to me!

Huh?

I thought the whole point of this thread was on the difficulties of titling/editing tracks on the actual MD unit, and a possible way to get around that.

My mistake, sorry. :laugh:

I'd like to know just how much HDD space 200 MDs worth of songs takes up in linear PCM format, even in half-sized monaural mode.  :laugh:

space taken = sampling rate * bit depth * number of channels * length in seconds

For 80 min MDs using SP mono, that would be 160 minutes = 9600 seconds

44,100 * 16 * 1 * 9600 = 6773760000 bits

/8 = 846720000 bytes

/1024 = 826875 kB

/1024 = 807.5 MB per [full] mono MD

*200 = 161500 MB = 158GB

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, there.