144 replies to this topic

#1 Ishiyoshi

Ishiyoshi

Gadget Connoisseur

• Setsudo (Mod)
  • 4,447 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 07:06 PM

The VAIO Pocket

If you missed my VAIO Pocket Pictorial by MDCF, I present to you all once more. Enjoy the pictures. ;)

The Pocket Remote | RM-VSC2 Remote

Size Comparison | MZ-RH10 and VAIO Pocket

Size Comparison | VAIO Pocket and TDK BitClub

Size Comparison | D-777 and VAIO Pocket

The Pocket Case | VGP-CKP1

The VAIO Pocket | Part Numbers
* I will update this section by demand.

Internal Lithium-Ion Rechargeable Battery
* part numbers by region.
J: A-1070-173-A
US/Canada: A-1088-554-A
EU/Asia-Pacific: A-1088-555-A

Cradle Assy
* part numbers by type: 20GB and 40GB
J/EU/AO (AP1): A-1070-172-A
AM/EU (AP1L): A-1088-556-A

The VAIO Pocket | Firmware & Music Move/Music Transfer Update

About this Firmware - 3.0.0.C171:
This new Firmware includes a total of 34 updates, from which some of the key updates are:

• MP3 playback feature which will allow MP3 transfer and playback without transfer to ATRAC
• Possibility to change the screen template. Skin features
NOTE: New skins are included, and you can copy additional skin data files to the "VAIO_Skin" folder.
• Faster performance: high speed scroll function
• New LCD backlight brightness and auto-power off settings
• Gapless play between tracks
• Album and group play enhancements
• Lyrics view
• Demo mode feature
• Various display enhancements

Japanese Firmware Version 3.0.0.C171J: click here.

English Firmware Version 3.0.0.C171F:
click here.

Important Firmware Installation Notes: read here.

About this VAIO Music Move/Music Transfer Update - 1.2.00:
In conjunction with the firmware update: 3.0.0.C171 for the VAIO Pocket, this utility allows you to transfer and play MP3 files,
without conversion, on the VAIO Pocket player.

VAIO Music Move (Japanese) Version 1.2.00: click here.

VAIO Music Transfer (English) Version 1.2.00:
click here.

Important VAIO Music Move/Music Transfer Installation Notes: read here.

Note to NW-HDx and NW-E500x/400x users:

For your convenience, the VAIO Music Move/Music Transfer v.1.1 utility is available for download: here; and its version 1.2 update can be obtain from the links above.

#2 Max Spider X

Max Spider X

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • PlayStation Network ID:Sony Vaio Pocket VGF-AP1L

Posted 22 July 2005 - 11:00 AM

This just came up. Is RM-VSC2 the only compatible remote with this model?

#3 Ishiyoshi

Ishiyoshi

Gadget Connoisseur

• Setsudo (Mod)
  • 4,447 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 11:06 AM

QUOTE(Max Spider X @ Jul 22 2005, 12:00 PM)
This just came up. Is RM-VSC2 the only compatible remote with this model?
View Post

Yes, the RM-VSC2 is the one and only 100% fully compatible remote for the VAIO Pocket. Notice its special pin configuration; unlike MD remote's 4 pins.

*Please note: some MD remotes can be paired with the VAIO Pocket, however, it's limited to only a few functions - not enough to deem compatible with the VAIO Pocket.

#4 auvi_joe

auvi_joe

Really really new.... Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • PlayStation Network ID:Sharp MD-DR480H, Sony VGF-AP1L

Posted 22 July 2005 - 12:11 PM

I am looking for a 3rd party Sync/Charger cable(combined or separate) to replace the cradle for road trips. I don't necessarily need a line-out function so much. There is no chance Sony will come up with one but if there is enough demand, a 3rd party cable may be possible?

I may even try hacking a spare cradle to turn it into more portable size/shape if I can find one reasonably priced. $70 for a Vaio Pocket cradle is just nuts!

#5 Ishiyoshi

Ishiyoshi

Gadget Connoisseur

• Setsudo (Mod)
  • 4,447 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 12:27 PM

QUOTE(auvi_joe @ Jul 22 2005, 01:11 PM)
I am looking for a 3rd party Sync/Charger cable(combined or separate) to replace the cradle for road trips.  I don't necessarily need a line-out function so much.  There is no chance Sony will come up with one but if there is enough demand, a 3rd party cable may be possible?

I may even try hacking a spare cradle to turn it into more portable size/shape if I can find one reasonably priced.  $70 for a Vaio Pocket cradle is just nuts!
View Post

I don't think we will ever see a 3rd party Sync/Charger cable for the VAIO Pocket. The main unit's cradle socket is truly of a proprietary design. But this does not imply we can't design a connector. As for “hacking” the cradle for such a task, you will obviously need to disassemble the cradle and review how the connector is linked to the AC Adaptor output. According to the VAIO Pocket’s service manual, there are only 6 screws to fully disassemble the cradle. So, you may want to give it a go and report back? :ol_eyeclops:

Check this Powerche-V1 battery pack! I think it will at least work with the VAIO Pocket and its cradle; and would prove to be useful companion for the VAIO Pocket while on the road.

#6 auvi_joe

auvi_joe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 01:36 PM

It doesn't look too complex to open up the cradle. I will take a peak and see(I may not rip the cables apart since I kind of need this to operate my Sony at the moment). If the connector piece can be isolated and there is a part number for it(Sony will sell it for modest cost) and pin assignments are published somewhere in the service manual, then we can possibly make ourselves a 3rd party cable. Perhaps :ol_huh: Stay tuned.

The Powerche-V1 looks very slick. I was thinking of getting this (link) instead since I can also use it for my Dell Axim X50v as well as recharge AA batteries for other portable needs as well.

#7 Ishiyoshi

Ishiyoshi

Gadget Connoisseur

• Setsudo (Mod)
  • 4,447 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 02:00 PM

QUOTE(auvi_joe @ Jul 22 2005, 02:36 PM)
It doesn't look too complex to open up the cradle.  I will take a peak and see(I may not rip the cables apart since I kind of need this to operate my Sony at the moment).  If the connector piece can be isolated and there is a part number for it(Sony will sell it for modest cost) and pin assignments are published somewhere in the service manual, then we can possibly make ourselves a 3rd party cable.  Perhaps  :ol_huh:   Stay tuned.

The Powerche-V1 looks very slick.  I was thinking of getting this (link) instead since I can also use it  for my Dell Axim X50v as well as recharge AA batteries for other portable needs as well.
View Post

Unfortunately, detailed schematics throughout the service manual are limited to the main unit. There's not much information on the cradle other than location of screws, foot pads and its respective part numbers. However, the service manual does have a diagram illustrating the connector being part of some circuit board. Perhaps, there's a separate service manual for the cradle - I will check with Sony. Regardless, do keep us informed of your endeavors.

The Powerche-V1 is sleek indeed. I am thinking of pairing it with my PSP; and of course will try it with the VAIO Pocket. Semsons' Pocket Power Bank looks very handy as well. Let us know if it works with the VAIO Pocket.

#8 auvi_joe

auvi_joe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 03:39 AM

Well..... Found a good place to buy extra cradle and the remote for the Vaio Pocket. It is at eCost again....

For $199 plus shipping(and applicable sales tax), you can get your spare cradle and the remote...... and it comes with a almost free 40gig Vaio pocket unit with a el-cheapo earplugs. Oh, almost forgot. I think you prob. get some 50 or so of free Connect music clips(worth $50) with the purchase also, if you don't mind the 132kbps singles from the Connect store. :ol_biggrin:

If you didn't get the joke..... eCost is lowering the price of the complete kit to $199. Two weeks after I just paid $239. @#$%^&*

Here is the ..... LINK

#9 Ishiyoshi

Ishiyoshi

Gadget Connoisseur

• Setsudo (Mod)
  • 4,447 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 07:43 AM

Heh.... I'd noticed that price tag as well. Well, you should be happy to know that when I acquired the VAIO Pocket last Christmas, I paid approximately $300 for it. :ol_glance:

Anyhow, do you need the part numbers for the cradle?

#10 chenfurfur

chenfurfur

Novice

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • PlayStation Network ID:VGF-AP1L

Posted 23 July 2005 - 10:01 AM

omg you have got to be kidding me with that $199 pricetag...ugh..

Also...does anyone know how well this device works with the Sony Pocket Vaio in the car?

LineX Wireless FM Transmitter (with PPL Technology)

Edited by chenfurfur, 23 July 2005 - 10:19 AM.

#11 Max Spider X

Max Spider X

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 10:25 AM

QUOTE(Ishiyoshi @ Jul 23 2005, 08:43 AM)
Heh.... I'd noticed that price tag as well. Well, you should be happy to know that when I acquired the VAIO Pocket last Christmas, I paid approximately $300 for it.  :ol_glance:

Anyhow, do you need the part numbers for the cradle?
View Post

Yeah, I am wondering how much would it cost to buy the cradle alone.

#12 Ishiyoshi

Ishiyoshi

Gadget Connoisseur

• Setsudo (Mod)
  • 4,447 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 10:58 AM

The part number for the VAIO Pocket, VGF-AP1L (40G) version cradle:

A-1088-556-A (AP1L)
CRADLE ASSY (40G) (S)
Price: $76.15

Note: VGF-AP1 (20G version) cradle: A-1070-172-A.

#13 Ishiyoshi

Ishiyoshi

Gadget Connoisseur

• Setsudo (Mod)
  • 4,447 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 11:11 AM

QUOTE(chenfurfur @ Jul 23 2005, 11:01 AM)
omg you have got to be kidding me with that $199 pricetag...ugh..

Also...does anyone know how well this device works with the Sony Pocket Vaio in the car?

LineX Wireless FM Transmitter (with PPL Technology)
View Post

It should with no problem.

#14 auvi_joe

auvi_joe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 11:49 AM

QUOTE(Ishiyoshi @ Jul 23 2005, 08:58 AM)
The part number for the VAIO Pocket, VGF-AP1L (40G) version cradle:

A-1088-556-A (AP1L)
CRADLE ASSY (40G) (S)
Price: $76.15

Note: VGF-AP1 (20G version) cradle: A-1070-172-A.
View Post

cradle VGF-AP1(20G version) is not listed on Sony DPAC parts webpage. Make sense since 20g version is not sold in US.

If you were to buy a spare cradle, a remote, and a replacement battery from Sony part store, it would easily be more or less $199. I am tossing a coin to make a decision to pick up another kit. Now, where is that coin? :ol_lol:

#15 Max Spider X

Max Spider X

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 12:18 PM

I have just received the PDair case in the mail today. It's not as amazing as ppl made it out to be. 2 major flaws: 1) The see-through part for the screen is empty...so it doesn't actually protect the screen. 2) the belt clip is screwed unto the case, but it's not nearly deep enough to secure it. I am gonna have to tighten it manually every 2 hours or so. I'd be even scared to ride a bike with this on my belt.

New problem found with the player! When the earbud is plugged to the player along with the remote, I can hear a faint hiss noise when the player is off. 2 other guys I have talked to had also realized this. Is this some kind of current leakage that drains battery?

Edited by Max Spider X, 23 July 2005 - 03:46 PM.

#16 chenfurfur

chenfurfur

Novice

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • PlayStation Network ID:VGF-AP1L

Posted 23 July 2005 - 04:56 PM

QUOTE(Max Spider X @ Jul 23 2005, 01:18 PM)
I have just received the PDair case in the mail today. It's not as amazing as ppl made it out to be. 2 major flaws: 1) The see-through part for the screen is empty...so it doesn't actually protect the screen. 2) the belt clip is screwed unto the case, but it's not nearly deep enough to secure it. I am gonna have to tighten it manually every 2 hours or so. I'd be even scared to ride a bike with this on my belt.

New problem found with the player! When the earbud is plugged to the player along with the remote, I can hear a faint hiss noise when the player is off. 2 other guys I have talked to had also realized this. Is this some kind of current leakage that drains battery?
View Post

woah...the see-through part is empty? that kinda sucks...maybe i should buy like a screen protector sheet and stick it in there. PDAir sells screen protectors for the Nintendo DS for $8...perhaps I should buy one and cut the screen to the size of the Vaio Pocket. And how come in the siliconpop review of the case, it doesn't show the belt clip with the case in one of the pictures? It's not removable at all?

I also haven't noticed the hissing noise but i'm going to see if i hear it now. I hope this doesn't drain the battery. Thanks for letting us know though!

Edited by chenfurfur, 23 July 2005 - 05:10 PM.

#17 Max Spider X

Max Spider X

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 05:42 PM

Yeah, it's fully removable, although I wish it wasn't.

#18 Max Spider X

Max Spider X

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 06:26 PM

Hey Ishi, do you know if the Japanese firmware has the English language option, and will it work with English version of SS? I am thinking about flashing it to the J version simply for its sheer coolness and to give the player an import flavor. But I might need to revert back to the English language for referense during the case that I forget the use of each option.

Edited by Max Spider X, 23 July 2005 - 06:27 PM.

#19 Ishiyoshi

Ishiyoshi

Gadget Connoisseur

• Setsudo (Mod)
  • 4,447 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 06:39 PM

QUOTE(Max Spider X @ Jul 23 2005, 07:26 PM)
Hey Ishi, do you know if the Japanese firmware has the English language option, and will it work with English version of SS? I am thinking about flashing it to the J version simply for its sheer coolness and to give the player an import flavor. But I might need to revert back to the English language for referense during the case that I forget the use of each option.
View Post

You can employ any regional version of the VAIO Pocket firmware - it's interchangeable so to speak. If you employ the Japanese firmware, naturally all its UI will be in Japanese; and yes, you can pair your VAIO Pocket - flashed with Japanese firmware - with SonicStage English version.

#20 Max Spider X

Max Spider X

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 06:40 PM

Will the Japanese version have option for other languages, such as English and Chinese?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users