Sony VAIO Pocket VGF-AP1L Pictorial

Rate this topic

does anyone know any place that sells the replacement battery that would ship to Canada?? http://servicesales.sel.sony.com/web/index.jsp does not ship to Canada.... This is the only point that nags at me before i buy this player.... cause without a replacement battery, my sony vaio pocket would only last as long as the original battery last.... which would be what?? 2 years or so max??

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but would they even have the sony vaio pocket battery?? since the player is only for sale in the US....

According to the service manual, the North American VAIO Pocket - VGF-AP1L - was distributed not only to the U.S. market but to the Canadian market as well. Thus, I am sure Sony Canada will have the parts available. Please contact your local service center with the internal Lithium-Ion Rechargeable Battery part number (* I’ve provided in the first page of this thread) as reference.

Ishiyoshi:

Question, Is it possible to play with your computer the files that are in your vaio? Not transferring the files, but just playing the music using your computer.

Absolutely. You can playback VAIO Pocket ATRAC3plus tunes using the PC via SonicStage. In addition, you can also playback other music file type (such as Mp3) via the PC using media players such as Windows Media Player and Winamp – provided the music file question was copied over to the VAIO Pocket as a removable media.

Absolutely. You can playback VAIO Pocket ATRAC3plus tunes using the PC via SonicStage. In addition, you can also playback other music file type (such as Mp3) via the PC using media players such as Windows Media Player and Winamp – provided the music file question was copied over to the VAIO Pocket as a removable media.

:ol_huh:

So, this won't work if I transferred the files with SonicStage? Sorry if I'm repeating myself here, but I just want to make sure I understand. The file transferred to the Vaio pocket to be played wit the Vaio pocket cannot be played back in the computer?

Is this also true for the non DRM files created with the new SS3.2?

I promise I won't ask about this anymore.

:ol_smile:

:ol_huh:

So, this won't work if I transferred the files with SonicStage? Sorry if I'm repeating myself here, but I just want to make sure I understand. The file transferred to the Vaio pocket to be played wit the Vaio pocket cannot be played back in the computer?

Is this also true for the non DRM files created with the new SS3.2?

I promise I won't ask about this anymore.

:ol_smile:

You can playback all ATRAC3plus files using the PC transferred via SonicStage regardless if it has DRM or no DRM. Please note for ATRAC3plus, you will still need SonicStage for PC playback.

Hope that is crystal clear. :ol_smile:

i dont get the whole demo mode thing. ur saying that when the player are in idle mode ie not playing music but still on, that the player itself will display a slideshow of pics that is in the demo mode folder? when i had it turned on, for some reason all it seems to do is automatically starts playing my music after about 10 seconds. it has never did this to me b4 until i turned demo mode to come on. is my player defective? i wouldnt mind putting in some random images to create my own slideshow in there. pls let me know more about this.

i dont get the whole demo mode thing. ur saying that when the player are in idle mode ie not playing music but still on, that the player itself will display a slideshow of pics that is in the demo mode folder? when i had it turned on, for some reason all it seems to do is automatically starts playing my music after about 10 seconds. it has never did this to me b4 until i turned demo mode to come on. is my player defective? i wouldnt mind putting in some random images to create my own slideshow in there. pls let me know more about this.

Rest assured, your unit is not defective. It does playback the music library by random in demo mode.

so wat is demo mode really. does it just playback the music library randomly. is that all that it does. how come this answer was different from the other one. i look thru both pdfs and found nothing on it. what is wrong with sony with putting in features and not telling us how it works and how to use it. i dont get it at all.

If you have pictures and music tracks within the VAIO Pocket, the demo mode merely playback either medium. The purpose of the demo mode is obvious and thus, you don't see further details within the operating manual. To be honest, I never utilize the demo mode until you raised the question.

ok i just got it to work. sweet. it is exactly wat i thought it would do. if u put pics in the demo folder and while ur playing ur music and if ur not doing anything with the interface then a slideshow of the pics will come up. its pretty much like a screensaver when there's no interface activity going on. man im starting to love this player even more. u discover something new everyday. hehe.

Is Ishi san here?Or some one who could help....

I am using a HK model which firmware is updated to 3.0.0.C171f.

I feel it inconvenient for me as I need it to display kanji when I browse the lyrics.

I realized 3.0.0.c171f (english version) didnt support kanji lyrics.

So I 'd rather reflesh the firmware to 3.0.0.C171J(JP version)

I dont know the feasibility cos this is not an upgrade,isnt it?

Is it practicable? Any problem if i do change the firmware from 3.0.0.C171f to 3.0.0.C171J?

Please help me !!

Is Ishi san here?Or some one who could help....

I am using a HK model which firmware is updated to 3.0.0.C171f.

I feel it inconvenient for me as I need it to display kanji when I browse the lyrics.

I realized 3.0.0.c171f (english version) didnt support kanji lyrics.

So I 'd rather reflesh the firmware to 3.0.0.C171J(JP version)

I dont know the feasibility cos this is not an upgrade,isnt it?

Is it practicable? Any problem if i do change the firmware from 3.0.0.C171f to 3.0.0.C171J?

Please help me !!

Welcome to ALC, Adol.

There are no detrimental effects if you do change the firmware from 3.0.0.C171F to 3.0.0.C171J.

Hi, People!

Just got my VAIO pocket from Ecost today. This is a very long 44-day waiting, all the way from eCOST location to Russian Federation, Moscow. Now I think I'm have a very rare device in the town :)

FYI MP3's Tags displays correctly Russian (cyrillic) letters, I think any other Cyrillic and Western European languages will be displays without problem too. Just try to download some Japanase game soundrack's, which have JAP-named MP3 tags.

VAIO Music Transfer is really great, just drop folder with music files and relax :)

Hi, People!

Just got my VAIO pocket from Ecost today. This is a very long 44-day waiting, all the way from eCOST location to Russian Federation, Moscow. Now I think I'm have a very rare device in the town :)

FYI MP3's Tags displays correctly Russian (cyrillic) letters, I think any other Cyrillic and Western European languages will be displays without problem too. Just try to download some Japanase game soundrack's, which have JAP-named MP3 tags.

VAIO Music Transfer is really great, just drop folder with music files and relax :)

Welcome to ALC, kaban! I am pleased to hear that you are able to utilize Russian letters with the VAIO Pocket. Enjoy your stay with us. :ol_smile:

I got mine from ebay for $227 ($257 with shipping and everything to canada). I recieved it two days ago, and absolutely love it.

NOw, I wanna buy a battery just incase, so that when my original battery dies, I will have a replacement (in case sony stops making em).

Anyone ever notice how after you lift it from the cradle and plug it right back in, the charging icon comes on for a good 30min? Same thing is happening with my laptop. I suppose this does not harm the battery life in anyway?

It is doing a trickle charge which is a safety mechanism that prevents batteries from being overcharged(signs of a well designed battery charger). It should do absolutely no harm to your battery.

I've had my vaio for about a week now....and I still get no more than 5 hours per full charge :(

I've heard that it takes a few charges and days before you actually get 20 hours per full charge, but I've had it for days and charged like 5-6 times and still get no more than 5 hours :(

Anyone has any ideas? Also, where can I buy a replacement battery? I wanna buy one just incase sony stops making the batteries when my stock on dies.

hey does u guys cradle not stand up all the time. mine u have to very careful cuz if u touch it one bit the player's weight just pushes the cradle over. i think i have a defective handle on this cradle. its gets annoying.

It's not defective - you will need to push the cradle's support bracket in place to lock it so to speak.

I have been doing a stress test on the battery since yesterday. It lasted a tad short of 24 hours continuous playback on mp3 tracks of various bitrates from 128kbps to 320kbps with occasional check up on the screen. But after letting the battery drain completely, the player does a soft reset and will have to reset the clock and other settings.