Sony Insider Forums
Christopher

"Best Headphones under $100" Thread

Rate this topic

Sony MDR-W08(L) is fantastic for the price! You would be surprised what headphones of this price (about $11) sound like. http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-W08L-Vertic...5744&sr=8-1

Also they are really the only pair of headphones that I find comfortable and convienant. I hate earbuds as they are always falling out and they hurt, and can't stand headphones that cover your ear in any way as they make my ears over-heat. But these are over your head so they won't fall out, don't heat up your ears, and don't hurt at all. And they are also super-light!

Edited by Rob A

Hi! I'm going to buy a headphone for my NW-A608 walkman, what do you recommend?

I can buy EX71 or EX81 for $30. Is it good? Which is the better? Or do u recommend something else?

Edited by asadasad22

Hi! I'm going to buy a headphone for my NW-A608 walkman, what do you recommend?

I can buy EX71 or EX81 for $30. Is it good? Which is the better? Or do u recommend something else?

With that sort of budget I would go for the Sennheiser CX300's. A much better sound than the EX71's & EX81's.

With that sort of budget I would go for the Sennheiser CX300's. A much better sound than the EX71's & EX81's.

Just bought CX300. It' sound is like a dream :) But if I'm listening it, I can't hear any ambient noise, so if the phone rings or something explodes I won't notice it, so it's a bit dangerious :)

Just bought CX300. It' sound is like a dream :) But if I'm listening it, I can't hear any ambient noise, so if the phone rings or something explodes I won't notice it, so it's a bit dangerious :)

Glad you like them :) They are supposed to block out a certain amount of ambiant noise, handy for train or plane journeys.

Glad you like them :) They are supposed to block out a certain amount of ambiant noise, handy for train or plane journeys.

Yes, it's a really cool earphones. Do u use it with ur S706? it's included earphone is also not bad.

Guest Stuge

It does,but it will be better to get NC earphone like NC022 for train or plane journey .

It does,but it will be better to get NC earphone like NC022 for train or plane journey .

But why? It isolates almost perfectly the noises. But no matter, I travel usually only with bus/foot, not on plane/train.

CX 300 are a marvel at that pricepoint. it´s the first time that decent sound quality is available to the masses. I wouldn´t use any modern dap with phones of lesser quality. If you want to step up go for the MDR-EX 90. I have read that they cost twice as much in Australia as they do in HK, JP and Europe so you might just as well import them. They are lightweight so shipping won´t be much. The problem with phones is not in the sub 100 sector any longer but rather in >100 usd sector. Which are reasonable 200 USD Phones?

Edited by ceres

If someone out there like earbud (open intra-aural), MDR-E818LP is the best choice at sound and price - US$9 there but HK$50 here.

Screw those, those are fine if you want oper-air earbuds.

Otherwise, if you like in-ear phones, get the EX90LP (or better yet, the EX90SL if you have a remote controlled DAP or Walkman, I happen to own an EX90SL for use with either my D-NE700 (with the RM-MC33EL Silver) or MZ-NH700 (with the RM-MC40ELK), and they are indeed great sounding, great dynamic response throughout, the bass is not overkill, the highs are high, and unlike the EX71SL's, the ones that these replace, there is actually great midrange presence, and all that for only $99 USD at the most.

While the EX90LPs are available everywhere (Circuit City, Best Buy, etc.), the EX90SL units are available only in japan, or through Audio Cubes through this link:

http://www.audiocubes.com/category/Headpho..._Earphones.html

You can also get the from an eBay seller named "BuyFromJapan", which is where I got mine.

Shure E2c - $65

These are the some of the best under-100 phones availabile... IF you can EQ them properly. Un-equalized, these phones are terribly dark and muddy with no discernable highs and way too prominent bass. I do not suggest using these with iPods or with any MD unit or DAP that does not have a good parametric EQ. They are extremely well-built; these phones are like tanks. The cord is nearly three times the thickness of standard portable phone cords and the right-angle miniplug is appropriately bulky and tough. There's not much style with these phones; they resemble large, old-fashioned hearing aids when inserted into the ears. Shure has found a wonderful solution to the problems of cable microphonics by wrapping the cord up over top of the ear, preventing vibrations in the cable from traveling up to the earpieces. It really works well actually. These IEMs isolate very well with both the foamies and the silicone sleeves although the foamies do a much better job. The silicone sleeves are rather painful at first, but after using them for a few weeks, the oils in your skin permeates the silicone material and softens it up considerably. At first I wasn't able to use the silicone sleeves but after a few weeks of using them I got to where I liked them better than the foamies.

I could agree more with the review of the E2c's, I recently picked them up from Amazon for £29.00 - Once I'd played around with EQ settings on my A806, found the right combination of eartips and figured out how to fit them correctly - I'd have to say I was somewhat impressed, I certainly don't regret purchasing them.....Superb value

I recently purchased a MDR-EX32LP in-ear phones for AUD$59.

Seems to be quite good value for the price I paid.

Haven't tried them yet (as it is a Christmas present). Was originally going to get the EX85, but decided that the design didn't quite suit me.

I also have a Logitech premium headset which I found to have excellent bass and sound quality-cost me $30.

Edited by A.A. Fussy

I have just ordered Sennheiser´s new CX 95 IEMs. They carry a 100 euro pricetag but can be bought for 77 incl. shipping on amazon.

Contrary to the likes of cx300 (400 and 500 are supposed to be more balanced) Sennheiser advertises the new CX95 as neutral, high resolution phones.

That´s exactly what I am looking for to complement my nwz818 and potentially classic. The cx 300 were fabulous given their pricepoint and target group.

I have only read preliminary reviews on a few German hifi boards but people really seem to think a lot of the new sennis. Some are putting them clearly above competition that costs twice as much. Per se that doesn´t say much bc imho a number of really expensive iems are not worth the money. Especially when looking at sq. Sennheiser may be competent enough to pull another cx 300 with a differing target group in mind this time around.

I currently own Sony MDR90EX phones and UEs Triple.Fi 10s. The Sony Phones are really nice and precise and certainly a year back they were a steal at around 60 Euros. I really like them a lot. However, they leak sound and really are a class below the quality you need to bring out the best of todays dap and coding technology. Enter the Triple.Fi 10. SQwise these are truly outstanding phones. People talk about Sure500 and what not. Triple.Fi 10s are pretty much the HD650s of IEMs. My major gripes are hiss, price and really bad, uncomfortable fit (subjectively). I will either sell the triple.fis or keep them for reference and wait for some fit mod. Anyway, I am looking for phones that will beat the super.fi5s for neutrality and resolution and offer baseline sq that is well above my Sonys. I don´t expect the cx 95 to come too close to the triple.fis. I will post a review once I have spent some time with the cx 95.

For the record: Phones I have owned and dismissed: Ety ER6i, Super.Fi5, Panasonic HJE 70, Sennheiser CX300, PX 200, Vmoda Vibez, Westone UM2.

See you soon!

ceres

Now that I have put the Sennheiser CX 95 to the test here is my verdict:

Good but not groundbreaking. A solid update from cx 300 model with more neutral, balanced sound.

Overall I think these IEMs are worth the money but they are not special. Sound signature is comparable to MDR EX90 with a tad more resolution and (artificial) bass impact. Upper bass is artificially augmented while deep bass is a step up from the MDR EX90. Probably largely due to the real IEM design resolution and clarity are a tad better than MDR EX90. Highs are more brilliant with the Sony phones, however. The Sennheisers block external noise very well. Any more would be hazardous imo. There is no noticable sound leakage. Cable quality and microphonics are middle of the road. Generally, fit is comfortable although not suited for sprinting and such as the small iems will probably fall out. The CX95 don´t have to nudge your brain in oder to be at their best. To the contrary, they only need to be inserted as deep as the cx 300 and such.

Just like the cx 300 you will be buying an ear wax magnet. There is no way to clean the filter grill. Once clogged you can toss the phones. This will happen despite rigorous qtip jousting.

One major drawback of the Sennis is the very short cable that is intended to be connected to a remote. Given the fact that the Ipod is the dominating on the road device the short cable is an odd choice. There is an extension cord supplied in the package, however. A further pack in, a cheap plastic carrying case, is also supplied.

Once a retailer is set up in Germany I will take a look at the q-jays.

Edited by ceres

Just like the cx 300 you will be buying an ear wax magnet. There is no way to clean the filter grill. Once clogged you can toss the phones. This will happen despite rigorous qtip jousting.

That's not good news. I don't have those headphones, but the ones I do have also have a no-clean filter grill.

How long does it take to clog?? I'm trying to be careful with mine and never put them in my pocket or leave them lying around.

I did pierce them gently the other day - very very gently. . . but it's not a great method of de-fluffing!

So, in essence - non-cleaning filters belong to essentially 'disposable' headphones????

That's not good news. I don't have those headphones, but the ones I do have also have a no-clean filter grill.

How long does it take to clog?? I'm trying to be careful with mine and never put them in my pocket or leave them lying around.

I did pierce them gently the other day - very very gently. . . but it's not a great method of de-fluffing!

So, in essence - non-cleaning filters belong to essentially 'disposable' headphones????

yes rather sooner than later.

Ear-clip style headphones:I use the MDR-Q38LW from Sony.

Retractable headphone plug cord, light and easy to wear.

I recently got myself the EX85 for $90.

Were $150 in Australia originally.

Comes wth a nice fabric draw-string pouch and earphone holder (larger than the holder supplied with the EX32LP).

SQ-amazingly clear and distortion free, has nicely perfected sound across various frequencies and I love thw studio monitor quality.