To my mind, when you do the firmware update, the old version is overwritten completely. That's why it is dangerous, if electricity goes off during the process, you lost your device, and it can be repaired only in service center. Actually i got the idea, how to cheat the player detection thing. In the archive with the firmware update are 3 types of firmaware. Something like NW_A600_2.00.00J.UPG, NW_A600_2.00.00J.UPG and NW_A600_2.00.00C.UPG. The .ini fail looks like this [PAC_FWUpdater] Target=AURA(F) Comment=NW-A600 2.00 Firmware Update (Web) [DEVICE01] DeviceName=NW-A608 ProductInfo=NWWM MEM AAD2 ClassifyType=5 DevicePropertyProductInfo=NW-A608 SubIdentification=00600000 BootstrapVersion=2.1 CommandType=0 Signature=roga Version00=2.00 FWPackage00=NW_A600_2.00.00J.UPG FWPackageWritePathName=\MSFWUPGR.UPG StorageMediaFormatType=0 PBRFile=PBR2G.dat Timer=7:00 [DEVICE02] DeviceName=NW-A608 ProductInfo=NWWM MEM AAD2 ClassifyType=5 DevicePropertyProductInfo=NW-A608 SubIdentification=00600000 BootstrapVersion=2.0 CommandType=0 Signature=roga Version00=2.00 FWPackage00=NW_A600_2.00.00J_BOOT21.UPG FWPackageWritePathName=\MSFWUPGR.UPG StorageMediaFormatType=0 PBRFile=PBR2G.dat Timer=7:00 .......[skiped part] [DEVICE05] DeviceName=NW-A608 ProductInfo=NWWM MEM AAD2 ClassifyType=4 DevicePropertyProductInfo=NW-A608 SubIdentification=01600000 CommandType=0 Signature=roga Version00=2.00 FWPackage00=NW_A600_2.00.00C.UPG FWPackageWritePathName=\MSFWUPGR.UPG StorageMediaFormatType=0 PBRFile=PBR2G.dat Timer=7:00 .......[skiped part] So, it is impossible to know, how to make you player be detectet as device other than European, but it is still possible to change that line FWPackage00=... in .ini fail. The original .ini fail contains three type of this line: 1. FWPackage00=NW_A600_2.00.00J.UPG 2. FWPackage00=NW_A600_2.00.00J_BOOT21.UPG 3. FWPackage00=NW_A600_2.00.00C.UPG ,but if you do all this different lines the same. Like this: 1. FWPackage00=NW_A600_2.00.00J.UPG 2. FWPackage00=NW_A600_2.00.00J.UPG 3. FWPackage00=NW_A600_2.00.00J.UPG it makes the updater to choose NW_A600_2.00.00J.UPG for all versions of the player. So, basically this operation must be done three times. First we change all the lines to NW_A600_2.00.00J.UPG, than to NW_A600_2.00.00J_BOOT21.UPG, and after to NW_A600_2.00.00C.UPG Open .ini fail. Change the lines. Save .ini fail. Device updating process. In theory, with one of the version of the firmware the player must be much more quieter, than with others two. I hope my thoughts were clear enough... So now we need a volonteer brave enough, to update his player for three times in row and tell as results I don't know, may be i will try it by myself. Only have to collect a bit of courage. I just bought my nw-a608. I'm from Europe, and player seems to be a bit quet compare to Creative Zen Nano.