Questions/Comments for Marc's uploading utility.

Rate this topic

journalist

3 questions:

1) Is there any way to get to DOS from Windows without restarting the computer?

2) Is there any way to convert multiple files simultaneously with himdrender using a single DOS command (instead of following the procedure for each file)?

3) Once marcnet publishes his code, will someone likely be able to make a windows-accessible version, possibly with the ability to convert multiple songs at once? Or is that asking for the moon?

I deal with a lot of short clips, often on deadline, so converting this way still takes a lot of time/attention.

Thanks, marcnet, for this invaluable service to the community.

Be well.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) You can get to DOS via the "Command Prompt", which can be found under Start->Programs->Accessories for 2000/XP.

2) I suppose the application itself could be wrapped inside a script that would call it with each filename to be converted. Perl or something else (maybe Windows-based) should do.

When i meant DOS i didnt actually mean "quit out of windows into DOS". In fact running the program without windows running wont work at all as my program heavily uses DirectShow - which you cant get access to under DOS.

Windows has a command-line fuctionality which emulates the behaviour of DOS. It is this command-line functionality that I intended people to use, and not pure raw DOS itself.

However, I have changed my post to not contain the word DOS, but instead use the phrase "command line" instead. Hope this makes it clearer

When i meant DOS i didnt actually mean "quit out of windows into DOS". In fact running the program without windows running wont work at all as my program heavily uses DirectShow - which you cant get access to under DOS.

Windows has a command-line fuctionality which emulates the behaviour of DOS. It is this command-line functionality that I intended people to use, and not pure raw DOS itself.

However, I have changed my post to not contain the word DOS, but instead use the phrase "command line" instead. Hope this makes it clearer

In your quoted piece of text there is still to more times the word "dos".

marcnet,

i think that everyone in the himd world is in love with you

i have to say i watched md grow up and you just made it an adult

and the best thing is the software will get even better (cleaning up the little bugs anyways)

i will thank you for this and i know quite a few people that will look forward to your software

You are a star now smile.gif

*****hey kurisu i dont know how yer forums postings work other than the regular public availible postsso excuse me if this sounds dumb of me but i notice that announcment posted things last longerand get more attention perhapse than stickys wouldnt something of this much jump in the already extremely versitile recorder deserve something like that or am i making a very bad assumtion???

As someone said in the other forum, they converted their recording to .wav format, which was 350MB in size, and then they said they were going to convert it to mp3. Would converting the 350MB file to mp3 make the file size smaller? unsure.gif

If so, can someone post me a link to a good mp3 converter tool please.

Thanks very much :smile:

HOW TO UPLOAD YOUR RECORDED TRACKS FROM HI-MD AND CONVERT THEM TO .WAV FILES *FAST*.

5c) Now in case you didnt understand 5b)... here is a quick guide on running my program that I stole from linzq's post on the other thread. I hope he dosnt mind :smile:

hey marcnet:

I definitely don't mind... in fact, I'm honoured to be a part of this AMAZING project! And by the way, I'm a "she", not a "he" :grin:

As someone said in the other forum, they converted their recording to .wav format, which was 350MB in size, and then they said they were going to convert it to mp3.  Would converting the 350MB file to mp3 make the file size smaller?  :unsure:  

If so, can someone post me a link to a good mp3 converter tool please.

Thanks very much  :smile:

Yep, that was me - and the 376MB .wav turned into a 34MB .mp3

(And I can't hear that much difference in quality... AND it works in iTunes).

I type the following command:

C:>himdrender -i C:TempTest.oma -o C:tempTest.wav

I get the pages of text ending with:

Pos: - [0x118d = 4493] Len: - [0x117f = 4479] Pos (secs): - [0xa76096480 = 44

930000000]Len (secs): - [0xa6e446f74 = 44799651700]Event: - [0x1 = 1]

RepairWav => Failed map view of file C:TempTest.oma.wav.tmp

Result:0 Press anything to exit

The resulting file has 0 MB. Any insights?

I get the pages of text ending with:  

Pos: - [0x118d = 4493] Len: - [0x117f = 4479] Pos (secs): - [0xa76096480 = 44  

930000000]Len (secs): - [0xa6e446f74 = 44799651700]Event: - [0x1 = 1]  

RepairWav => Failed map view of file C:TempTest.oma.wav.tmp

Now this IS an odd error. Try adding the -k switch to keep the temporary file. How big is the temporary file? If its zero then I can only suggest to reinstall the latest SonicStage 2.1

------

In regards to mp3 encoders. LAME is the *only* one you should use. The rest are complete crap, in my opinion.

Download:

http://lame.bakerweb.biz/

A good front-end to LAME:

http://www.dors.de/razorlame/index.php

Main LAME page:

http://lame.sourceforge.net/

-----

And ive edited my instructions to *completly* remove the word DOS, and ive also changed the gender description of linzq :smile:

YO i'm fairly new to this MD stuff etc, but I'm getting my MZ-NH1 at the end of september or latest october 2nd when my dads friend brings it from Taiwan for me. Anyways...BASICLY...does this mean that I can record any of my music on to the Hi-MD, then upload it on any computer to a .wav file, this means that i can upload and play any of my recorded tracks on any computer using this method?

Ive fixed some things and release Version 0.02:

* OMA end of file detection has been fixed.

* Fixed incorrect WAV file size being written to WAV header

* Added -f option, or "max allowed difference between samples". Basically the repeated bits of audio are not bit-for-bit exact. This parameter tells the program how tollerant to be when looking for repeated audio. The greater the value the more likely non-repeated audio will also get the chop. The smaller the value the more likely there will be repeated bits of audio left in the final .wav. This parameter is optional so you can leave it if you have no idea what im talking about

* Improoved calculation of where the program predicts where the next bit of repeated audio will be. If this dosnt work then specifying option -c will go back to the 0.01 dumber method.

* The Block size paramter is slightly less experimental due to the above changes. Try specifying a value of 20 or event 30 seconds. I have, however, left the default at 10 seconds.

* Less crashes in parameter reading and wave rendering in general.

* Ive included .cpp and .dsp source files in the zip.

http://www.marcnetsystem.co.uk/himd/

Hey Marc this is a excellent step. *Shakes hands*

Now I can finally recommend Hi-MD to customers without feeling shaky about the restriction.

Do you think you will make this into a GUI format? Do you think you will add direct OMA > MP3 conversion or any other format conversions.

Are you thinking of making it a commercial project?

Yes I will add a gui when ive run out of functionality to add

No I will not make it a commercial project since I earn enough money at my job (Guess what, im a software programmer) to eat, sleep, buy CD's or whatever. However, I woudnt mind the odd donation of cash via PayPal

:grin:

I could add OMA->mp3 conversion. I could add OMA -> OGG converion. I could add OMA -> AAC conversion. But all these are low priority and I might pick the wrong encoder, resulting in everyone just rendering to .wav anyway and using another seperate encoder.

I have just come back, after buying a cable from Sony, that you plug into your Headphone line Out and PC Mic socket, and then you can use software to record the recordings off your MD.

Does anyone know of any good software, where you can add effects in to the recording and change settings of the sound etc?

marcnet, you don't want to make software for this purpose as well do you? tongue.gif (your doing a great job!)

This is awesome. I just bought my first MD to record interviews after lurking on this board for a couple months and am pleased with the device except of course for the stupid restrictions they placed on the recordings.

I have noticed that the conversion tends to repeat the last second or two of my recordings, though. Has anyone else experienced this?

I have just come back, after buying a cable from Sony, that you plug into your Headphone line Out and PC Mic socket, and then you can use software to record the recordings off your MD.  

Does anyone know of any good software, where you can add effects in to the recording and change settings of the sound etc?

marcnet, you don't want to make software for this purpose as well do you? tongue.gif (your doing a great job!)

Marc,

Great to hear of your dedication. I look forward for the GUI version smile.gif

MZ-NH1,

What is this PC link you bought? It wouldn't be a Xitel MD-Port I/O would it?

Im curious to see why you bought this cable for real time recording when you can use this method?

MZ-NH1,

What is this PC link you bought? It wouldn't be a Xitel MD-Port I/O would it?

I’m curious to see why you bought this cable for real time recording when you can use this method?

No it isn't a Xitel MD-Port I/O, it is a Audio Cord - 3.5mm stereo plug to plug... yeh :wacky:

I bought the cord, because I don't mind the real time upload effect (unless it is a 2 hour recording.. lol), but also to try a different way of converting the file to .wav. I think marcnet's software is fantastic, but I'm not that good at using DOS, even though instruction were provided. I will be trying both ways, in the end; I will most probably go with marcnet's software....

Does anyone know of good Audio editing software? Where you can add effects and that kinda stuff in please? :sad:

Andrew

Sefu, just noticed you are a MD representative in Sydney! Where bouts you based?

I have just used the himdrender program (took me about 30 mins to figure out all the commands :S sad.gif ) After it converted the file from .oma to .wav, It did say, output file size 0MB, but I successfully played the file in Windows Media Player, but about 5 seconds from the end, I got a "unable to recognise file format" error.

To MZ-NH1:

Do we need these files for anything? Or can we delete them?

You dont need the .cpp and .dsp file for anything unless you're a programmer :smile: . These files are the sourcecode and the Microsoft Visual Studio project file respectivly. So If you want to change,add, remove features from himdrenderer, or include a GUI then you'll need these files. If not then you don't :smile:

have just used the himdrender program. After it converted the file from .oma to .wav, It did say, output file size 0MB, but I successfully played the file in Windows Media Player, but about 5 seconds from the end, I got a "unable to recognise file format" error.

Ive released version 0.02 which fixes a few bugs, including (hopefully) that one. If you are using version 0.02 (it says so at the top of the help text)then it looks like its back to the drawing board again. Ive updated my initial post on this thread to link to version 0.02: http://www.marcnetsystem.co.uk/himdrenderer002.zip

As for the repeated audio at the end of files, im still in the process of fixing this.

And a free audio editing program:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Thanks. Sorry to say, but I am running 0.02, when it came up with that error :S sorry. Just wondering, would it be a lot of trouble for you, if you created a GUI version of this software? Because if it isn't, and you have some spare time, and enough people ask, can I suggest you do please, coz I just have no idea how to use the dos prompt :S sorry!

Hi marcnet,

I must confess that you really amaze me here. I am French having bought a HI-MD MZ NH 700 and a microphone MS907 at the beginning of september. But, as I discovered, that my own records - on which Sony doesn't have any right or property - couldn't be transfered back on my computer for regular treatment with an open format (wav or so), I wen't back to the reseller and gave him back the products. I was reimburse. You make me discover here that, even if Sony never release the HI-MD Wave Converter that they promised for the autumn, it will probably become definitively possible to get back our own audio data on our computers. Nice !

I must tell that with the first version of Himdrender I had small problem of repetition of some words or very short music sequence. Indeed, it seems to have completely disappeared in the second version. Very good job. I would test furthermore and tell you.

Again, very nice.

Do you plan to make it work with omg format ? (not only oma). He,he,he...

No it isn't a Xitel MD-Port I/O, it is a Audio Cord - 3.5mm stereo plug to plug... yeh :wacky:

I bought the cord, because I don't mind the real time upload effect (unless it is a 2 hour recording.. lol), but also to try a different way of converting the file to .wav. I think marcnet's software is fantastic, but I'm not that good at using DOS, even though instruction were provided. I will be trying both ways, in the end; I will most probably go with marcnet's software....

Does anyone know of good Audio editing software? Where you can add effects and that kinda stuff in please? :sad:

Andrew

Sefu, just noticed you are a MD representative in Sydney! Where bouts you based?

Ok I get ya now smile.gif

Umm I think there is a program called sound forge which is excellent at editing but it will cost you a lot of money. Im not too sure of any free ones.

At present we dont have a shop front, mainly dealing online and over the phone.

I just want to let you know that version 0.02 of HiMDrenderer works with my PC fine (just like the first version).

The only little error I found was that at the end of the file the last bit of music that is fading out is repeated (the last half second or so) version 0.01 did not have that problem (with the same oma file) but you can always chop that part of. Furthermore I noticed that the second version produces a slighty smaller wav-file than the first (maybe by default there is some more music that is seen as repetition) I used version 0.02 with it's default settings.