Kings, Hobos and Hobo-kings

Rate this topic

Bananatree

Here I sit, in my 2 year old Du-plex, after returning from my 2000 dollar per semester university, infront of my 2000 dollar laptop, surrounded by a 2 hundred dollar audio system. Eating, 40 cents worth of food......

Yes yes, I'm sure some of us have run into this before... The luxurious audio, the library of music, the beast of a computer, but plain macaroni with salt and pepper on it tongue.gif

So is it just me, or are there others out there with tricked out systems, but things like bills, schooling and food have made them Hobos living in the shoes of Kings?

(note: I am infact eating plain macaroni with margarine and S+P, and it is very good oddly enough)

I know exactly what you mean. Spending money aimlessly on seemingly unnecessary upgrades and such to satisfy your inner geek. I've been doing this lately with computer components, when I should be spending money on things for "our room", as my girlfriend puts it. I've put off buying blinds for the window for months now..

The scorning is harsh, but meh..

I'm more of a hobo living in the shoes of a hobo.

I don't have any thousand-dollar audio systems and my PC is rather mid-to-low-end.

And as of now, I don't have a house either. >.< Staying with my dad for the time being, while I look for a roommate, which is what I *should* be doing here at the library. :sleep:

I eat ramen and shop at the dollar store not because I blew my paycheck on a new pair of 'phones, but because I have to. All of my audio stuff was bought before I moved out of my parents house, however I was able to eventually save up enough money to build/buy myself a new computer, although I couldn't afford to replace my 5 year old CRT. :rasp:

I should move back in with my mother, then I can spend all my monies on 'phones, amps, etc. :happy:

Coriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii *tugs at Cori's skirt like a lil boi*

Come back quickkkkk! biggrin.gif

Aww...

I'm trying to, but my car is likely going to eat all my money, and then I'll have to save up some more. :sad: That is, if anyone even calls me back/responds to my e-mails.

Heh. My rent is almost half of my monthly income. I usually spend about half of every month not eating or eating at friends' places because I'm simply out of food and money.

My equipment manifest is not killer, by any means. A 1 year-old computer [athlon xp 2500+] was my payment for work on a project last year. My HiMD was partly the result of a good tax return and birthday money. The rest of my system is mediochre at best; logitech z680 speakers, koss neo-canalphones that require heavy EQ to sound proper, but at least I still have my Sennheiser headphones.

The majority of my money gets spent on food.

I don't make much, but what I do is usually blown on bills and gadgets. Sad, since most of my stuff is purchased once it becomes obsolete. My main computer is 4 years old, and was cobbled together from free parts to begin with. My laptop is an old Sony Vaio SR17 that was refurbished, given to my brother, and then given to me. It's been around the world a few times. I'm using 15-year-old speakers and a second-hand amp I got six years ago.

And I still eat Ramen, Mac & Cheese and strange concoctions based on whatever happens to be in the cupboard. My clothing comes from clearance racks and Goodwill. But boy, do I have fun with my MD equipment!

Actually, you know what's tasty? Get a cheap bag of potatoes, an onion and a can of cream of mushroom soup. Slice a few potatoes and the onion pretty thin, then fry them in a tablespoon of butter until they get kinda mushy. Add the soup and a little bit of water and stir 'em up until the soup kinda holds the potatoes and onions together. Its a thick glop, but good and pretty filling. And it reheats well, too!

That's it, my cold is making me delerious. Time for bed.

I run into this as well, though most of my friends say I'm making "bank"... whatever. I'm doing OK, but I still eat like I'm a poor college student when I get home from work. For me, it's the fact that I'm lazy and I really don't mind eating Ramen or a plain bologna sandwich on white bread. Perhaps my taste buds aren't that particular...

Then again, I have a decent, though not amazing, gadget collection. 5.1 stereo, 27" Sony Wega TV, DVD, MXD-D5C MD/CD deck, a decent computer, lots of CD's and MD's, etc. But my clothes are merely mid-range. I like nice things, but something in me still has issues spending a lot of money on certain things. Maybe that comes from being raised well and to be smart with my money (nobody told me about spending on electronics though ^_-).

Mainly, I think it's all about our priorities, as Kurisu hinted at early on in this thread. Maybe some of us really are poor (like my friend who's crashing at my place as he looks for a job).