Firmware v2.0 + White PSP to debut soon..

Rate this question

Christopher

Question

Firmware v2.0 major features:

The update will be free; v2.0 of the firmware will add:

NETWORK - Internet Browser - The biggie of the bunch, a new browser function has been added to the PSP so that you can connect to a website any time you are in the area of a compatible / accessible WiFi hotspot. The browser supports standard 4.01 HTML, but will not support Flash (although it is listed what sounds to be a sniffer function for Flash to show when it is requested but not available ... might it be part of the PSP brower someday?)

NETWORK - New Network Menu - This is where the web browser will be housed. The icon for it will be a globe, and it'll cycle in with the music note, film frame, and game logos.

VIDEO - Jump Feature in UMD Video/Music - Yes, it doesn't sound nearly as interesting as our original translation of "Performance Jump." It's a new skipping feature in UMDs, perhaps direct chapter access control or something to that effect.

VIDEO - A-B Repeat Mode - A handy feature for watching clips you like, this feature allows UMD Video, Music or Memory Stick videos to repeat your favorite scenes

VIDEO - 4x3 Video Mode of Memory Stick Video - We're not sure what this accomplishes, as videos were already 4x3. The only way for videos to be bigger and wider was to cheat the system and stretch would-be 4x3 pixels in odd ways with alternate apps.

VIDEO - Audio Adjustment Function of Memory Stick Video - Seems to be muting and gain controls for when your homemade videos are not the way you want.

VIDEO - MP4 (AVC) Playback - This is the good stuff. Homemade PSP videos have so far been hobbled by limited codec implementation and an adherence to a regulated Memory Stick standard. Instead, the PSP is finally allowed to branch out and play more complex, high-quality video in the advanced h.264 codec. Exact implementation of the AVC codec may still depend on certain variables, but get your compressors ready.

MUSIC - ATRAC3plus Support on PRO Duo - Correcting a silly technical gaff in the Memory Stick format, music fans can now put ATRAC3plus files on their PSPs. (SonicStage v3.2 software is required.)

MP4 AAC & WAVE Support - The PSP can now play MP4 audio (MP4's AAC format) as well as Linear PCM WAVE files.

PHOTO - Wallpaper Feature - We're guessing this is the much-requested feature for taking your favorite pictures and smacking them in the background of the PSP menu. There's no mention of a randomizer or anything else that would make this feature even more cool, but at last, something other than that swishy swirl on this month's color.

PHOTO - Picture Sending - You can now trade photos with other PSP owners over an ad-hoc (local) wireless connection

PHOTO - New Formats - The PSP can now read TIFF, GIF (we're not sure about animated GIF yet) and BMP files.

SETTING - Korean Language - A new language option on the menu. That'll be nice for them

SETTING - New Character Set - No details available on this -- hopefully, this is a quick-select for punctuation and other hard-to-type characters.

SETTING - Theme Setting - No details.

SETTING - Internet Browser Restriction Setting - A set of options for configuring the access your PSP has to the net, presumably your cookie and personal security handling.

SETTING - WPA Support - If WEP isn't secure enough for your home, you can now access PSP with WPA-PSK (TKIP.)

SETTING - Web Support on Keypad - It's unfortunately not as cool as it sounds (we were hoping for USB keyboard support to be added, as there are a couple of USB manufacturers with mini-keyboards on deck.) The old dial-a-letter keyboard will be the input for the web browser.

--------

The new (white) value pack, available on September 15th...

kcw.jpg

Closeup:

psm2_07.jpg

Looks hot! Wish I wouldn't have purchased the black one. :ol_glance:

Sniped from engadget.

12 answers to this question

kurisu already knows this, but I'm a PSP owner with no games. I use it for watching video and reading text. The XMB GUI is great, the hardware is great, the Sharp LCD is great... I think it's so much better for both tasks than any of the 4 or 5 Clies I owned. AND CHEAPER.

I really like the list of features from this firmware update, and I'll have no need for whatever homebrew thingies out there.

The jump feature in memory stick video right now is ... you can go to a specific time point in the video. Maybe that's being implemented for UMD video and audio...

Well, there are many cases you can purchase these days for the PSP, and the Value Pack comes with a nice 'slip' case that will keep it free of most scratches and whatnot. I'm not really familiar with what sort of pants you wear (nor do I wish to become familiar with such), but it should easily fit in most people's pockets.

I wouldn't want to drop a PSP, however - presumeably why it has a lanyard strap. :ol_groucho:

p.s. Your avatar is giving me seizures. :ol_rolleyes:

headnoise,

My #1 concern with the PSP is that the buttons will be damaged from bouncing around in my bag. The only way around this is a hard (aluminum or plastic) case, I searched and none of the "soft" cases offer any protection to the buttons.

Otherwise it's very durable - less vulnerable than many other Sony products. I use this clear film that covers the front face. IMO the PSP isn't something you'd carry in a pants pocket - it reminds me of a 6" sub and If I see it in your pocket I'd assume you're really happy to see me :D

Leon you sound like you buy alot of psp movies,

I don't... I don't spend money on movies at all. I just record TV shows and whatever movies they air on cable.