Europeans: Boost the volume of the NW-HD# series.

Rate this question

Christopher

Question

If you own one of the European models of the Sony Network Hard-Drive Walkmans, it has a volume limitation (French law) that makes it quiet in comparison to other regional models.

You can disable the volume limiter*. Here is how:

Go into test mode using the instructions in this image:

post-5-1225657556_thumb.jpg

Then switch off Sound Pressure Regulation using the instructions in this image:

post-5-1225657563_thumb.jpg

This "hack" works for the NW-HD1, NW-HD3 and NW-HD5.

* - Note: The European sound pressure limiter is there for a reason. Prolonged use of loud headphones has been known to cause slight deafness or even tinnitus. Carry out this hack at your own risk and keep the volume at a reasonable level for your own sake.

Taken from: avforums

26 answers to this question

with progress such as this, perhaps network walkman will continue to be the true child of the walkman brand. i have/had been harbouring a suspicion that they may be orphaned, however things seem to be looking rosier for sony's personal audio customers.

I found this too:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread....51&highlight=dj

sorry if it is not allowed to post other forum links  :ol_eyepatch:

You can certainly post informative links from other forum. However, please read the initial post of this thread before posting - there's no need to re-post identical information from the same source.

You can certainly post informative links from other forum. However, please read the initial post of this thread before posting - there's no need to re-post identical information from the same source.

:ol_eyeclops: sorry about that, but there are some good replies commenting their experiences, so that's useful :ol_groucho:

Well there is no direct evidence to support that. The people on that forum couldn't agree if did make a difference or not after the 1.2 upgrade. Some said that in fact the regional setting also had to be changed from EU to another destination to get full effect.

Edited by richyhu

Well, my HD5 came with the firmware 1.2 already installed, and i did the hack: it just worked great and the sound is clearly loud enough so that i can't even keep the volume at its max using the shure e2c.

And i live in France, so no need to change the regional settings.

Edited by Sispéo

I used it on my HD1, worked a treat :) another benefit I found by accident, I use a tunecast in my car but the line out setting on the HD1 was too much for the transmitter and it clipped badly, now with the volume set to max on the player the sound quality in the car is great! Previously tried this but with the limiter still on and even with the incar volume set high it was just too noisy, not sure what it will do to the battery life but hey lol its worth it.

Thanks for the info :)

If you have updated your hd5 to the newest firmware, that should take the volume limiter off. If it doesnt seem to have done anything, do the service thing in this thread.

Thanks to everyone who gave their opinion but a question that will probably be repeated numerous times:

How do you know if your attempt at switching the Volume limitation (OFF) worked??? what is the benchmark, or critera upon which we can definetly say yes it has been switched off?.. If after going through the process you go back into service mode and the volume does not change has it been successfully switched off?

Just because you can no longer liten to your music with the volume fully up does not actually indicate that the volume limiter(OFF) worked. You could have sensitive hearing etc.

Any thoughts ????

This volume lock is a real problem for me since I cannot seem to get the setting to "enable" I have gone through the procedure and of course the sound rockets up as soon as you go into the Test/Power menu, but once changes are made and system is restarted the volume returns to the low level.

I am using the latest firmware and it is set for US and sp is off, but the damn thing just returns to the old sound, the way I know this is by listening to the music ramp up again upon entering Test menu,,,,,what gives help.

Ho Man! Thank you very much!. :)

That really did the trick on my NW HD3( bought in BKK)...there is a very loud party in my head right now...the B52's are dancing all over. (and yes the backlight went off)

I always thought the machine lacked in punch..without counting that the equalizer don't work on mp3 files...

Right, now I gotta find a way to get rid off the rest of my distroyed SonicStage 2.3 updated to 3.2 to 3.3...

then I've never been able to get in my walkman again...

then find out how to get RealPlayer 10.5 to reconize my NWHD3...so far no luck...

Maybe a good search on the forum will do the trick.

Thanks again for Liberating US from the Evil Sound Limitors..and maybe from the infamous Sonic Stage

Hi...

I can't Enter test mode on my HD3.

I wasn't aware of this crack until recently...

When i've pressed the combination and turn off hold it just goes back to normal.

I've had my player for almost 3 years and it was bought in Denmark. This should be the way to enter test-mode, right?

Thanks, Amiara