Hi-MD "Data" mode and MD-DATA

Rate this topic

borealand

Hello,

I've read that Hi-MD devices can store - retrieve data files from a disk to the PC.

I was wondering what happens if I put an old MD-DATA disk that I recorded with a multitrack (Yamaha MD-8). Would be nice if I could backup on the pc the tracks I recorded as files (without caring to decode the atrac audio data).

Anyone tried this or know if there's a chance of compatibility between the device and the MD-Data disk format (at least to read it)? huh.gif

Welcome to the forums. :grin:

Unfortunately, these discs are not compatible with Hi-MD units. I don't believe someone has tried it yet [and posted about it here], but the laser wavelength is completely different than what Hi-MD/MD employs and would probably be unreadable by the unit itself. There are also some other major differences in the specs that would cause error as well.

Welcome to the forums. :grin:

Thanks!

> wavelength is completely different than what Hi-MD/MD employs

But isn't Hi-MD supposed to read MD recorded with older units? If so I guess wavelength should be not an issue, and I suppose it can be only a matter of FAT structure, with MD-Data, or not? That could be bypassed if the pc software could use a proper driver, that's my idea...

well i dont have much expeiriance with the md data drives but it is to my understanding that they did not work like regular drives....i.e. you would need to encode the FILE itself to write the file to md and it would not even show up as a nether drive...it would use a pregram to use the drive. CORRECT??

idk much but....if so then it would be like trying to open a netmd formated disc inn a himd player in exploror it would not do anything with the files but since this is a different disc almost....im sure that chris is right in saying the player would not understand what was going on.

or maybe even reformat the exoensive disc to the new format and thus causing a waste of money on that data disc

but again the data drives came and went so fast that i never got any infor on it so.....

But isn't Hi-MD supposed to read MD recorded with older units? If so I guess wavelength should be not an issue, and I suppose it can be only a matter of FAT structure, with MD-Data, or not? That could be bypassed if the pc software could use a proper driver, that's my idea...

The wavelength does matter. Hi-MD and MD discs all operate on 780nm, whereas MD-DATA operates on 655nm. Thickness of Substrate, addressing, bit length, and track pitch are all very different on MD-DATA discs as well. Could it be formatted? Possibly, but I doubt that it would even work as the addressing of a MD-DATA disc is Interlaced Wobbling Groove, opposed to the standard Wobbling Groove found on MD/Hi-MD discs.

The size is the same as MD-DATA-drives could take regular MDs for analog recording annd playback.

However, due to the low numbers of disks and devices sold, the special data format isn't included in Hi-MD devices.

Another point, AFAIK, every manufacturer of these Multitrackers uses a different format anyway...

No, all the multitrack MD recorders use the same format. All MD hardware uses a compatible UTOC. There were some differences for MD-Data discs, they were supposedly built to tighter tolerances, but nothing else. I've used my MDH-10 data drive to examine all of these discs, so I know. And yes, I have a Sony MDM-X4 4-track MD recorder too.

• 3 weeks later...

I've used my MDH-10 data drive to examine all of these discs, so I know. And yes, I have a Sony MDM-X4 4-track MD recorder too.

That's where I wanted to go. What did you find on the disc recorded by the multitrack reading it the mdh-10? (I own one but I guess it needs repairing..) Were there some kind of list of files on the disc? Did you manage to DIGITALLY backup the tracks this way copying the files, if possible, from mdh-10 to pc (and restoring back when need to work on a song)? (no matter files can't be converted to audible sound file on the pc, I mean)

I have a Yamaha MD-8 multitrack, and before asking this question in relation to hi-md devices I was trying to figure out if MD-data discs recorded with it were backuppable on my pc's harddisk using the mdh-10.

That's where I wanted to go. What did you find on the disc recorded by the multitrack reading it the mdh-10? (I own one but I guess it needs repairing..) Were there some kind of list of files on the disc? Did you manage to DIGITALLY backup the tracks this way copying the files, if possible, from mdh-10 to pc (and restoring back when need to work on a song)? (no matter files can't be converted to audible sound file on the pc, I mean)

I have a Yamaha MD-8 multitrack, and before asking this question in relation to hi-md devices I was trying to figure out if MD-data discs recorded with it were backuppable on my pc's harddisk using the mdh-10.

you can transfer from any minidisc to your PC via the MDH-10 if its hacked and you have the software from EDL in UK.

You can, but as I recall talking to them, when I first heard about the hacked drives and software, it's VERY expensive. I've got one of the data drives sitting in a closet collecting dust because I currently have no use for it. Unfortunately, it was very cost prohibitive to have it converted by them.

Mind you this is coming from a consumer perspective, not somebody in the recording industry. I'm sure there are people out there willing to pay thousands of dollars for this feature; I'm just not one of them.

Do you know if their price has come down?

-Jeff

You can, but as I recall talking to them, when I first heard about the hacked drives and software, it's VERY expensive.  I've got one of the data drives sitting in a closet collecting dust because I currently have no use for it.  Unfortunately, it was very cost prohibitive to have it converted by them.  

Mind you this is coming from a consumer perspective, not somebody in the recording industry.  I'm sure there are people out there willing to pay thousands of dollars for this feature; I'm just not one of them.

Do you know if their price has come down?

-Jeff

hi jeffs;

i used to be in the recording industry, and, yes, i agree, it is a very expensive product ($5000, i believe).

however, i am have one and would be willing to sell it (for a very-discounted price)!!

please let me know if you are interested.

cj