need help from noob

Rate this topic

doosmac

So many things can cause this

1. HDD errors (run scandisk & get it to check for bad sectors)

2. Memory Errors (download a good memory tester & run it for the minimum of 1 pass)

3. Driver Conflict (good luck with this one)

4. Bad source file (if its downloaded try downloading again)

But the most usual is V I R U S !!!! or Spyware

Get your pc a good AntiVirus package & treat it to a run through with it, make sure it is updated before you do a scan. Its also advisable to download Spybot from the net & run that through your PC.

Sorry but without any symptoms or error messages (including system spec's) all guesses at fixing it will be pure speculation.

I've had the same problem ever since installing those damned Windows upgrades yesterday... mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

I can honestly say that it's not a virus-related problem, cause I reverted back to my configuration before the dreaded update and everything was fine again. I THEN upgraded my windows 2000, and it generates the same message as the poster's

Anyone got around this problem? It pissing me off majorly

confirmed. I just got it too. THX MICROSOFT :/

edit: gwar sad.gif does anyone know exactly which hotfixes to uninstall? I have about 20 of em and I'm not sure which are the offending articles

edit2: ok here are the offending items-

- Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB841356)

- Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB840987)

- Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB841533)

I uninstalled the hotfix for KB841533 last, and sonicstage is working fine now, without reinstalling.

Not sure if its just that one.

The updates are recommended by microsoft for install on all windows systems except for those running Windows XP sp2

This may be in need of an announcement somewhere as I suspect there'll be a lot of ungry 2000 and XP users in the next couple of days.

I too had this same issue today on Win2k (Omgjbox.exe error on start), but before finding this thread I uninstalled SonicStage and tried to re-install v2.2. My re-install attempt gets to "Currently Installing OpenMG Secure Module" and then aborts with an "Install Terminated" message, but no other explanation.

Anyone else seen this issue?

I've now tried removing the 3 listed MS Hotfixes above, doing the deep uninstall listed here, installing v2.0 from CD (which works fine) and then upgrading to v2.2, and just about every combination of the above (muliple times, with reboots) and still can't get past the termination of install for v2.2. Frustrating. I now sit at a working v2.0 SonicStage but would like to be back up to 2.2.

Thanks,

-Mark

Interesting. Yes, I did try installing v2.2 directly (not as an upgrade) several times, with the same result. But, there was a KB article on Sony's site that suggested installing the original 2.0 CD version and then performing the upgrade in case some OpenMG file was corrupt. Same results.

I had not noticed the uninstall item in add/remove programs for OpenMG before, but after reading the new post here, found and uninstalled that too, and then did the "deep uninstall" again and tried the install yet another time. Still the same result.

Even after uninstall of OpenMG via the add/remove programs, there is still a ton of entries in the registry for OpenMG (some even result in regsvr32 errors on boot after deleting Sony directories). ...Another lame uninstaller that leaves garbage all over the place.

I tried Sony support today. A 30 minute anticipated wait on the phone queue (not acceptable), and then I tried the support chat feature. The support person there had no clue and referred me back to the phone support.

Still frustrated....

-Mark