PSP WPA Network Settings

Rate this question

number9

Question

After snooping around in the directories on my MSPD in my PSP I found a folder called "BROWSER" within another folder called "SYSTEM". Within the Browser folder there is an html file named "bookmarks" which holds all your bookmarks for your web browser.

I thought you may be able to edit it and put in more bookmarks, to avoid the tedium of using the PSP key entry in the browser. Unfortunately, any editing that you do to the folder will be undone once you start up the browser again.  Maybe the text inside the HTML file that read: "This is an automatically generated file. It will be read and overwritten. Do Not Edit!" Should've been a hint. ;P

(Been lurking and watching this thread all day.)

I've installed the update and can get the PSP to see my router (it picks it up by name, telling me it can see it), but when I go to test the connection, it stops @ "Exchanging Key Information" and then times out.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

14 answers to this question

(Been lurking and watching this thread all day.)

I've installed the update and can get the PSP to see my router (it picks it up by name, telling me it can see it), but when I go to test the connection, it stops @ "Exchanging Key Information" and then times out.

Any ideas? 

Thank you!

Exchanging Key Information? Do you have encryption enabled on your router? When I think of keys, I think of WEP.

Exchanging Key Information? Do you have encryption enabled on your router? When I think of keys, I think of WEP.

Yes, WPA (TKIP), which wasn't supported until this update...and I've selected this option on the PSP.

I'm tried to change my password on the router (since it's kinda long, thinking that might trip up the PSP), changed the broadcast channel, upped the number of DHCP addresses allowed, etc. Also changed the wireless from G Only to mixed, so both G and B devices would be supported.

Still no luck...

Yes, WPA (TKIP), which wasn't supported until this update...and I've selected this option on the PSP.

I'm tried to change my password on the router (since it's kinda long, thinking that might trip up the PSP), changed the broadcast channel, upped the number of DHCP addresses allowed, etc. Also changed the wireless from G Only to mixed, so both G and B devices would be supported.

Still no luck...

Right. So you changed the WPA Shared Key to something shorter? (Like 8 characters.) Other than that, I can't think of any other solutions, other than to just disable WPA (TKIP) or downgrade to WEP instead. :\

Edited by Hyena

Right. So you changed the WPA Shared Key to something shorter? (Like 8 characters.) Other than that, I can't think of any other solutions, other than to just disable WPA (TKIP) or downgrade to WEP instead. :\

Correct. I went from something like a 16 character password down to a 10 character password. Per the router, the minimum is 8 characters...

What a bummer...

Thanks for the input anyway! :)

Correct.  I went from something like a 16 character password down to a 10 character password.  Per the router, the minimum is 8 characters...

What a bummer...

Thanks for the input anyway! :)

No problem, sorry I couldn't have been of more help.

No problem, sorry I couldn't have been of more help.

Well, I got it working, but there's a catch...

My linksys router supports B and G...setting it to G didn't work (since the PSP needs B). Setting it to Auto didn't work, even though it SHOULD. Setting the router to B only, and BAM the PSP connects!

The problem? My other two machines that were running @ G speed (54 mbps) now run @ B speed (11mbps)...

So I guess you can use WPA and run at 11, or change security to WAP instead and maybe run @ 54 (haven't tried that, and wanted to keep WPA, but not at a loss of netowrk speed)...

Well, I got it working, but there's a catch...

Odd. It's strange that auto on your router doesn't work. What brand of router are you using? Sometime today I'll set mine over to WPA TKIP and try to connect and see, to see if maybe it's something to do with the router [edit]: or possibly an inherent limitation of B/G routers that use WPA TKIP.

Edited by Hyena

Odd. It's strange that auto on your router doesn't work. What brand of router are you using? Sometime today I'll set mine over to WPA TKIP and try to connect and see, to see if maybe it's something to do with the router [edit]: or possibly an inherent limitation of B/G routers that use WPA TKIP.

It's a linksys...I want to say WRT54G, but I don't have the box in front of me. I did a google search on the error code (80110482) and found a few other people w/ the same router and similar problems. I'm not sure if the router is waiting for the PSP to announce what speed it needs (and in turn, the PSP times out), or if the router is just DUMB. :) I will say when I setup the router a few months ago, I checked on linksys' site, and it was already running the latest firmware available.

So yeah, I'm not sure who to blame, L or S. The web browsing seems to heat up the PSP a bit (it was rather warm). Also I saw someone mention (can't remember if it was this board or not) about the browser cache, and you can set it to 512, 1024, or 2048, I believe. I set it to 2048 (2 meg). Hopefully that can be raised in the future (but it's certainly not a showstopper). Also, by default, the page encoding is set to "Japanese (Shift-JIS)" - I set it to western, but the pages I loaded worked fine in either setting.

All in all, a pretty cool update.

Handy commands:

box + analog stick to scroll (I was just using the arror keys and that sucked!)

box + L button = prev tab

box + R button = next tab

I'm having the same problem with a DLink DGL-4300 Wireless Router....connects fine with security turned off.....with WPA....keeps saying that key negotiation timed out.  I tried changing to a simplier WPA key...no help...

What is your "Wireless Networking Mode" set to (B Only, G Only, Mixed, etc)?