help to recover a recording from a minidisc pleaseeeeeee

Rate this topic

BURNIN AMBITION

well ,to cut a long story sort, a friend of mine recorded something, but the minidisc didnt finalise properly.the result of this is that the recording is lost(even if he recorded it, he cant access it).

from what he told me something wrong happened with toc.

please we need this recording.is there a way to recover it? a siftware?

i am sure it is done but i dont know how.please, please help a newbee.thank u

this is what how the guy with the minidisc described his problems.any help is welcome.please help us

The problem is actually 2 seperate problems, as bizzarrely this happened on 2 discs! The first disc has the first 3rd or so of the set on, and I know that it died during the TOC finalisation as it happened in front of my eyes... I know the recording is probably on the disc but because the TOC failed the deck doesn't see the Hi-on Maiden bit of the disk... (it sees the first track, which is the support band, which finalised properly)

The second disc was a stranger situation, as I recorded the rest of the set (up until the encore), checking the recording regularly right up until the break for the encore, at which point I checked it again and found the power to be off for no apparent reason. When I turned it on again it said it was a blank disc. So the TOC obviously didn't happen on that disc either. At which point I recorded the encore onto the same disc, and that bit TOCed fine and is the only bit of the gig I can access. So I don't know if the track recorded will still be there on the disc, or if it will have gone because I recorded 20 minutes of the set after this had happened. Can anyone help??

The weird thing is that I don't know why the power went off... it didn't run out of batteries, and the hold function was on...

Depending on the MD machine you were using (or what you may be able to get your hands on), you could try TOC cloning. There are a few sets of instructions on the MD Community Page under "Hacking" (just search for "cloning" on that page), depending on which machine you use. The instructions for the Sharp 701 are a good overview, though. I managed to rescue one of my brother's concerts after he accidentally wiped the MD during an edit.

Basically, your recordings still exist, but you have to get your machine to copy a "clean" TOC onto the disc so it knows there's something recorded on it. The first disc should have the recording up until you lost power. The second disc will likely have your second (20 minute) recording attempt followed by what's left of the first recording--it sounds like you've overwritten the first attempt on that disc. But you can still recover most of the music. Follow the links I gave above, and see if it's something you'd like to attempt.

As for why the power cut out, who knows? You could've bumped the battery door, or there may be a loose connection inside the unit, or you could have a flaky battery or messed up power management... See if you can recreate that recording environment and monitor its behavior.