WinXP won't recognize MZ-NH600D, please help!

Rate this topic

jeepcrazy

Hi all...

I'd appreciate a hand here.

I just bought a MZ-NH600D, and WinXP keeps seeing it as a USB Mass Storage Device and giving me errors. It won't load any of the drivers from the CD or from the updated driver files that came with the 2.2 update. It keeps telling me the selected file does not contain information about my hardware.

I'm losing my mind here...where are the damn drivers for this thing? It knows it's a Hi-MD, because under "Location," it says Location 0 (Hi-MD)

What's goin on?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Under device drivers, it's reported as a USB Mass Storage Device, which is the "digitally signed" driver that Microsoft reverted to when it couldn't find another one it deemed suitable, despite their presence.

It can't roll back beyond that original driver. If I could get it to at least see that another driver was a possibility, it'd be a step forward, but every time I attempt to use one of those other drivers it says "the selected file does not contain information about your hardware."

Nope, just plugged the unit right in with no software installed whatsoever.

HOWEVER

I found the solution!

The thing the other 2 computers had in common was that I was plugging the unit into a USB hub.

The MD unit requires more power than that. While it's recognized, it won't actually "boot up," until you give it enough juice from the USB port.

By removing a device that was on the root hub and placing the MD unit there, it fired up just fine.

Add it to the FAQ! :grin: :smile:

Thanks for your help, folks! I'm sure I'll be needing more.

great. glad it's now working.

K. i've been lurking here since well before i joined Tboard. never had a thing to say, really.

i was looking to see the info ppeps here had on the hd1/hd2 'cause i got a good friend in tokyo atm.

but hey i'll come back regularly...