I need some of your worthy knowledge.

Rate this topic

Tiger Prawne

Hi!

Some of you might notice that I'm new. Yes. I am. Actually this is my first post, and I'll tell you why.

Several years ago I received a Sony MZ-R900, and used it for awhile before putting it down for some time. It sat in a drawer for at least a year or so. If I remember back to those days, I think I put it down because I was fed up with the hassle of recording and whatever.

Anyway, I busted it out about a week or so ago, and have been really happy with it. I was listening to all my old MD's, and enjoying walking around my school campus with it. However, I wanted to make a few more MD's, stocked with all the new music I'd aquired in the past few years, and attempted to do that this evening.

I couldn't find the instruction booklet, so I decided to just go ahead and plug all the stuff in the appropriate places to see what would happen. Sure enough I got the digitalPC Link to work (something I had a very bad time dealing with the last time I recorded, if I remember correctly), and happily began recording. The player recognized the music and was recording fine. My computer karma (-especially- with MD players) isn't all that great, so I knew something would go wrong. And it did.

At first, I was recording in LP4 mode. I recorded a few songs, and then decided to check it to see if it was working - and the player told me that there was just one song. I found that weird, and tried to play it, but no sound came through. And then after fiddling with it, BLANK DISC flashed. I found that to be very strange indeed. So then I tried LP2 mode, and had the same results...I moved into MONO mode, and got the same. Finally, I just hit the REC MODE button until neither LP4, LP2, or MONO appeared, and recorded in that (I guess that's just standard recording mode?); and still got the same results.

I looks around at some of the other topics available here, as I didn't want to be extremely stupid and post the same question twice, and I stopped at the 'problems with recording' sticky. Even thinking about taking apart my MD player made me all anxious, and besides, I don't think that that is really the problem, but it very well could be. I'm wondering if there's some certain button or mode or whatever I should be in, or something, anything. My friend keeps telling me to just break down and buy a MP3 CD player, but they're so bulky! I really <3 my MD player and I don't think I could give it up.

I'm sorry this is so long and probably very petty compared to several of the other questions and concerns people post here. But if someone, anyone, could let me know what I should do, I would truy truly appreciate it.

Thank you,

Tiger Prawne

P.S. Also, I found out that the door for the battery slot ( Sony NH-14WM battery ) was open (it tends to not keep closed at all. So far I just stick a little bit of tape on it just to keep that door shut. ), and the battery gone. I have that clever battery pack that can connect an AA battery, and have been using that without the Ni-MH one. This could also be the problem?

Hi there!

Welcome to the forum's :smile:

It could be that your MD's optical block is dead blink.gif

Have you tried using a len's cleaner to clean the head's? As it's been sat for so long it might be dust, dirt etc on the len's.

But as i said above, it could be that after not being used for so long the optical block has just packed up, in which case it will have to go to Sony for repair! Which will cost a fortune.

What happen's if you try recording Optically in real time?

have u used the power adapter with it? i think that would be more reliabnle thatn batteries, the battery could have gone dead when u were recording and did not write to the TOC, which holds all of the song locations on the disc.

u said that it still plays, right, then im sure the optical block is fine, it would say something like "No Disc" or something like that.