perfect microphone for recording lectures

Rate this topic

bdawg

You really should try not to send so many redundant posts.

You don't have to get fancy to record speech.

If you can hear the lecture from where you're sitting, you should be able to record it. A battery box is to provide more flexibility in recording loud sounds---you definitely don't need that. A preamp is to amplify softer sounds clearly, so unless you really can't hear the lecture at all, you probably don't need that either. And if you can't hear it, a preamp is not going to work magic, since it will also amplify all the noise around you.

Getting a better seat will do more for you than spending a bundle on mics or preamps.

If you're in a big lecture hall that's echoey, get a directional mic, a cardioid, like this one:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/...item/SP-SPSM-16

But if you're at meetings that will have people all around you, get an onmidirectional (or binaural) instead.

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/...item/SP-SPSM-15

I'm sure www.microphonemadness.com and www.reactivesounds.com have similar choices. Sony mics, like the DSP70, are also possibilities, but I think they're overpriced.

I do recommend getting a mic on a cord rather than one that plugs directly into the MD because the direct plug-in mics will pick up the whir of the machine.

And just about any little microphone, including the kind that used to come with old Aiwa or Walkman cassette recorders, should also work. If you have one lying around, plug it into mic-in and see how it works. Play with the Hi and Low Sensitivity settings under REC MODE and see what you like.

Higher-priced mics and the other gizmos are for recording music, which has a much wider frequency range and more nuances of fidelity. For your needs, simple is better.