Camcorder, MD and mics

Rate this topic

mdfan

I have been audio recording concerts with my MD. I have stealth cardioid mics.

I also have a Sony mini dv camcorder. I want to video tape some of the same shows. What would be the way to have the highest quality audio- camcorder built in mic(doubt it), MD audio recording dubbed over the tape(I guess I can learn to do this) or plugging my stealth mics into the camcorder mic in?

Thoughts? I have Adobe Premire to edit the video- its damn hard to learn!

Does your mini cam have a seperate audio in? often a white coloured RCA jack or perhaps a break out cable?

I'll presume yes so i can elaborate further.

You'll be sending a stereo signal into a mono input jack. Thats ok.

Equipment required:

Microphones

Microphone power supply (Juice Box, we can help you with this)

that's it.

Just plug the output of the juice box into the camera (you'll need an adapter to go from the 3.5mm male stereo plug to the camera's input jack. Radio shack should be able to provide everything you need for this.

Even though you are using stereo mic's you;ll only record one channel or side of your mic set up.

Good luck and let us know if this works for you?

I have a 9v batt box that powers the mics when I record now, with 1/8 plugs. I assume that is a "juice box"?

Sony makes mini boom mics that will clip on to the top of the camcorder. I was considering buying one of those instead of using my current mics, since that would be a nice compact setup. Having 6 feet of mic cables, a batt box, and 2 small mics doesnt sound very interesting to me.

So you think the best sound would be to record directly onto the mini dv tape?

There should be no problem using a mic power supply with the mic-in on your recorder. Line in would be a far better option, less distortion, high dynamic range.

You may find that the loud concert will easily overload the mic pre-amp. Thus avoiding it by using the line-in.