Sonic Stage 2.3 out

Rate this topic

Latexxx

I am running this upgrade so far without any hassles or bugs noted. I REALLY like not having Connect in this one. It's a drag if you ask me. The Create an Audio CD option is cool but nothing fancy but it's got the restrictions of OpenMG and counts the transfers like anything else. No problem adding a WAV file that was converted from an uploaded PCM OMA for recording to CD. So, I guess that is one purpose but I think I will stick with Nero. Overall, other than Connect being gone, there's not much difference and I can't tell any difference in the layout.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did this upgrade on the weekend without any problems but also without any noticable improvements. I guess I will find out when I upgrade the firmware in my HD1 player. On the other hand, no negative effects either. Hopefully, a few innocent and previously undetected bugs (to me) have been also fixed.

Well I have just received an e-mail from "Sonic Stage Admin" about the new 2.3 version available. I had to read and agree to lots of T&C, and then finally I was able to download the updater!

Now it says. I need to download 40MB of updates, which is fine with me, but of course it is downloading at the supersonic speed of 4kb/s :| with spasms to 130kb/s for about 5 seconds, and then comes back down to 4-7 tongue.gif.

Oh well I’ll just have to wait 50mins for it to finish

SonicStage 2.3 finds my NH1 much faster and SS seems a little quicker in general on my 1833Mhz Barton Athlon, and the fact that Connect is not available I regard as an enhancement also :grin: . There is an additional button (a record button) for Atrac CD recording on the far right, it maybe that I never noticed it before.

d) Music Data can be stored

Hmmm I'm not sure what this supposed to mean, it probably lost something in the translation from Japanese.

IS this SS 2.3 version english or Japanese like the earlier posted version?

Also what advantages are there between 2.2 and 2.3?

It's the English version (a Japanese version on a European Sony-site would be pretty useless). And yes, I already installed it.

The European 2.3 version is including Connect.

Yes with 2.3 - that is this threads topic.

You are probably right about it working, but I'm just paranoid enough to wonder if Sony were able to find a way to break it from the Hi-MD Renderer's point of view.

I would like to try it, but don't want to lose anything in the process - could someone who has already installed test and advise this thread, please?

Thanks

You cannot employ this version of Sonicstage unless you have a Japanese installation of Windows!

Yes you can. You just have to set your default codepage to Japanese. (For XP, that's Control Panel->Regional Settings (or similar)->Advanced->Language for Applications that don't support unicode). Or similar. I have a German Windows, so I don't know the exact terms.

On the other hand, most people may just be fine with the English version (unless you need Japanese titles).

I have used 2.3 for a week or so and I have noticed an improvement in the speed of recognition of my NH900 AND a considerable speed improvement in the coverting and transfer of files to the Hi-MD. I can't give you actual numbers but it is very noticeable to me. Anybody else notice a speed improvement? Plus, the Mp3 handling has improved in terms of speed as well. The ability to create a MP3 CD is thoughtful too. Nonetheless, it still takes too long for the program to initialize and start but nothing major.

I still enjoy not having to bother with CONNECT. They may have to pry this version away from me :rasp:

I installed SS version 2.3, but when it had finished installing, I noticed that the ONLY program I had was SonicStage, and not simple burner.

Should simple burner have been installed? And is there anywhere where I can download simple burner by itself?

Also, when a new version of SS is installed, do all your "Compilation Albums" disappear? Or will they still be there when the different version has been installed?

downloading all 40 megs of 2.3 ( no party on my slow connection!) was a BIG waste of time.. "it didnt work"

even WORSE, it seems to have crippled my machine FOR GOOD.. now i cannot even get 2.0 to install properly FROM THE CD ( despite uninstall/cleanup per the FAQ here)

does anybody know how to get ALL the previous MD drivers OUT, and how to cleanly install working ones?? (win2000)

There seems to be an improvement in sound quality as well.

To my ears, LP2@132k from SS2.3 is above the LP2 from my NH700 qualitywise. (Sharper transients, less 'glossing over', everything cleaner, closer to the original)

LP4/Hi-LP have improved as well. (Less ringing on Hi-LP, better highrange in LP4, less gargling).

Since I currently don't trust my ears fully (I'm just through a nasty infection with antibiotics etc...),

I suggest that someone with a good set of ears and good equipment verifies this.

Do you know if this last release of Sonicstage has solved the problems reported in Minidisc forum, consisting in the loss of data that sometimes happens during the upload of recordings from the hi-md to the pc?

If someone still finds this problem, please let us know, because it seems to me a very important point to discover (to avoid the boring solution to back-up the most important recordings in real time).

Thank you very much.

Does anyone know if Sony has a static link where I an download the whole programme to take home and install? I have a high speed connection but no admin rights at university and a sloooow modem connection on my home PC where I have SS running. So I can't DL on either computer. Any ideas?

?eter

Does anyone know if Sony has a static link where I an download the whole programme to take home and install? I have a high speed connection but no admin rights at university and a sloooow modem connection on my home PC where I have SS running. So I can't DL on either computer. Any ideas?

?eter

The same question from me (this question probably was asked on this forum some time ago). I ordered NH700 and the worst thing I can expect it to download 80 MB via dial up telephone line (33.6K only)... :sad::sad::sad:

I installed SS2.3 Friday. I live in the US and wondered if there woulf be a problem loading this version from Sony's Connect-Europe. The US Sony Connect is still at 2.2. All this talk about speed improvement made it work while.

I installed it and right away notice the speed improvement. I then connected to the myusic store, bought an album and everything went well until today. I used SS23 to go to the music store again this morning and was taken to a page claiming I was from a country not covered by SS. I changed NO settings over the weekend.

I used my browser and went to connect com and everything looked good. Then it occured to me I got this version from Connect-Europe. So I pointed my browser to Connect-Europe and got the same denial page I got in SS23 (http://www.connect-europe.com/landingpages/static/node108_lang_NextRowEN.html)

So Now I must revert back to my US version 22. UNLESS anyone knows how to change the SS23 Homepage? Or has any other ideas?

:sad:

I got my MZ-NHF800 about a week ago - so far I really like it. Was trying to find out from Sony about saving the files to my network (to save space on my workstation), and the tech I spoke to suggested getting the upgrade for SS.

Apparently Sony released a SS v2.3 for Canada sometime after 1300 MT yesterday - just downloading it now.

CC

Harper wrote:

"I installed SS2.3 Friday. I live in the US and wondered if there would be a problem loading this version from Sony's Connect-Europe. The US Sony Connect is still at 2.2."

I live in the US, went to www.connect.com last night (12/21)and it had me load 2.3. It seemed to load fine, but haven't tried it yet.

Good luck

Weaves

Link to the upgrade page on Sony's support site is here...

here

Doesn't mention much that is different from 2.2 (sounds mostly the same). Changes seem to go along with the firmware update for the Vaio Pocket that now allows direct mp3 transfer to the device (read: no conversion needed.) Also, track numbers and other data can be more easily edited.

There seems to be an improvement in sound quality as well.

To my ears, LP2@132k from SS2.3 is above the LP2 from my NH700 qualitywise. (Sharper transients, less 'glossing over', everything cleaner, closer to the original)

LP4/Hi-LP have improved as well. (Less ringing on Hi-LP, better highrange in LP4, less gargling).

Since I currently don't trust my ears fully (I'm just through a nasty infection with antibiotics etc...),

I suggest that someone with a good set of ears and good equipment verifies this.

jadeclaw this is good news!!! :smile:

I'll make my tests to see hwo good they sound for me :thumbsup2:

I've installed the US version and 'captured' the files it downloaded and put them into a .zip file. I can upload this ~72MB zip file somewhere on minidisc.org if wanted.

You can also 'capture' the downloaded files yourself in your XP/2K's profile Local Settings/Temp/ folder. It'll take a bit of searching.

I'm installing SS 2.3 to determine whether I can tolerate it on my own system. Based on this, I may or may not buy a MD unit.

Further warning: this is a brutal installation that installs a multitude of packages on your system, in an automated button-clicking fashion. Afterwards, it warns, not *asks* that it will restart your system without your permission. It may have also said something insulting about my mother before restarting.

Further warning: this is a brutal installation that installs a multitude of packages on your system, in an automated button-clicking fashion. Afterwards, it warns, not *asks* that it will restart your system without your permission. It may have also said something insulting about my mother before restarting.

welcome to the rewarding world of sony software usage. windows update & many AV updaters use this tactic too, of course you can just not click the button until you are finished with whatever else you're doing.

anyway sony's aproach to customer relations ozes through to all facets of it's products, yet somehow still manage to be rewarding occasionally.