Sonic Stage 2.3 out

Rate this topic

Latexxx

A few other things to add:

SS 2.3 takes up a whopping 58 MB of RAM on my current machine, and I haven't even asked it to *do* anything yet. By comparison, iTunes, no lightweight herself, weighs in at 38 MB.

The Connect store appears to be an unconditional part of SS 2.3, and loads automatically upon startup, using the security-risk-prone Internet Explorer engine to render the Connect opening page, which is filled with no less than 8 different flash animations.

I am considering purchasing a cheap Net-MD to knock around, and I'm wondering if it will be as easy as plugging it into my machine after installing SS 2.3, or if I will have to load software drivers as well. Or, should I just stick with 2.2, as it seems from a few posts in here it does not contain mandatory launching of the Connect store?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

welcome to the rewarding world of sony software usage. windows update & many AV updaters use this tactic too, of course you can just not click the button until you are finished with whatever else you're doing.

anyway sony's aproach to customer relations ozes through to all facets of it's products, yet somehow still manage to be rewarding occasionally.

An interesting contrast. My girlfriend just bought me an iPod mini, and though I like it, I'm afraid of damaging or losing it because of the rumors of its delicacy in terms of battery life and the earphone jack. It's just so... *nice.* Though I was resistant to installing iTunes, I can see just how much love Apple lavishes on their users. It is a seriously friendly and polite bit of software, and gives just a sliver of what creates the fanaticism one sees in Mac users.

By contrast, Sony's MD products have, in my experience, tended to be rock solid. I've never thought anything of dropping a MD into my pocket and running off. However, the attitude that their policies and software exude display a kind of contempt and distrust of their customers.

Even more interesting is the level of fanaticism both companies manage to inspire in their customers, in spite of their different tactics.

A few other things to add:

The Connect store appears to be an unconditional part of SS 2.3, and loads automatically upon startup, using the security-risk-prone Internet Explorer engine to render the Connect opening page, which is filled with no less than 8 different flash animations.  

I am considering purchasing a cheap Net-MD to knock around, and I'm wondering if it will be as easy as plugging it into my machine after installing SS 2.3, or if I will have to load software drivers as well. Or, should I just stick with 2.2, as it seems from a few posts in here it does not contain mandatory launching of the Connect store?

you can get the asia pacific version of ss2.3 sans connect music store, search for the planetMG on the web or on this site

also if SS is installed on the pc then the drivers for all sony netMDs are installed via the multi purpose 'personal audio driver' included in sonicstage

Does anyone know if Sony has a static link where I an download the whole programme to take home and install? I have a high speed connection but no admin rights at university and a sloooow modem connection on my home PC where I have SS running. So I can't DL on either computer. Any ideas?

?eter

I have the same problem! I've just had a look around the www.css.ap.sony.com site and discovered that a download of ss2.3 is available at -

http://www.css.ap.sony.com/vaio/download/s...ry.asp?Id=30966

It's for the VAIO though, and is only 36.2MB, I'm still at work so haven't tried it on my home PC yet.

Does anyone have an idea if this download will work... or am I being a little optimistic?

Also "MZ-NH1's" earlier post mentioned that SimpleBurner disappeared after the install, I use that almost exclusively (I'm lucky enough to have access to over 30,000 CDs so you can see the appeal) and it would be a real pain to have to re-install & find the patches & fixes again... and then have it not work! :sad:

So before I try anything I'd like to know how the SimpleBurner

reinstall went.

Anyway I've only got a mz n707 so is the upgrage even worth it as I can't see SimpleBurner transfer speed being affected. Any ideas on this kurisu?

It's for the VAIO though, and is only 36.2MB, I'm still at work so haven't tried it on my home PC yet.

Does anyone have an idea if this download will work... or am I being a little optimistic?

I installed it, it seems to work- SS works, at least. None of the other apps recognise it (the Sony Wave convertor, MP3 importer etc.) I'm guessing that there is a registry key that it has not written. But all of the upload/download/import functionality seems to be there, as is the omg2oma app.

So a partial solution at the moment.

DoctorFrog: if no one takes you up on the offer to hsot those files, I wouldn't mind if you could mail them to me: let's see what works out over the next few days, else I'll be contacting you.

Thanks.

?eter

Registered just to post this. I downloaded the SS 2.3 from Sony's Asia PlanetMD (is it? read it just a sec ago and forgot it again) using their webdownload program and have made an installer out of that. There is no connect in this version and I can put it on BT for distribution in a couple days. It is re-packaged with 7-zip so it is a significantly smaller download than what is available on that website.

I had made a previous installer for 2.2 that had multi-byte support enabled upon installation but this seems to no longer be possible with the new 2.3 because of the new MSI based installer. I tried using a MSI repackager but couldn't find the necessary registry data in there. I think another installer packed in the MSI is run and that one sets up the registry keys. It's been a couple weeks and I don't quite remember. This can still be done by manually modifying the registry after installation for those who use it.

I offered my package on minidisct's forum and no one was interested, hope that's not the case here smile.gif

I noticed that in SS 2.3 Sony was kind enough to give Hi-MD users the choice of trancoding non-compliant files to the MD in either Atrac3 or Atrac3plus. Nice of them to hook us up with the 132k bit-rate, 64k and less is just brutal even for mobile purposes but 256 is unecessarily large for the said.

Anyways, a question for anyone: I see that during the conversion process SS now converts the file on your hard drive and then transfers it, as opposed to the previous SS transfering it to the device only, on the fly. Any way to prevent SS from creating duplicate files, ie. avoid creating a library of oma files identical to the resident mp3's/wma's?

Thank for the info. smile.gif

I noticed that in SS 2.3 Sony was kind enough to give Hi-MD users the choice of trancoding non-compliant files to the MD in either Atrac3 or Atrac3plus.  Nice of them to hook us up with the 132k bit-rate, 64k and less is just brutal even for mobile purposes but 256 is unecessarily large for the said.

Anyways, a question for anyone:  I see that during the conversion process SS now converts the file on your hard drive and then transfers it, as opposed to the previous SS transfering it to the device only, on the fly.  Any way to prevent SS from creating duplicate files, ie. avoid creating a library of oma files identical to the resident mp3's/wma's?

Ummm. I've been using SS since 2.1 and its had these features since at least then.

i think you just did, did you get it from connect/connect europe/planetmg? sel.sony?

apart from the connect store that is missing from one of those they all have the full version.

what function are you looking for?