Ways for Sony to make Hi-MD a success

Rate this topic

Allon

Hi guys,

Just thought it would be interesting to post our own views how Sony can make the MD-format work (again blink.gif).

There are many rumours Apple will release a flash memory-based iPod in the not so distant future. Maybe Sony could react with adding native MP3 support on Hi-MD. That way Apple will advertise with something like:

flash memory iPod, $ 70 for 1 Gb.

While Sony's ad would read: $ 7 for 1 Gb.

(While their at it: why not copy paste the flash iPod ad-campaign to be, just add a line on the enormous price difference of the media, risk a law suit, but the attention that it will give to Sony's offer would certainly make it worthwhile, even if dropping that campaign after a day for some other ad).

Anyhow, but that of course has been commented on by many of you before, adding MP3 support in general to the Hi-MD units would make it a significantly more attractive buy.

All that needs to be done is make it so that you can use your MD without using sonic stage. When I say "use", I mean, you can do *everything*.

If you can:

* Go into windows explorer, drag a music file across to the MD drive.

* Change the filename of the file to change the title (possibly something more tricky in the case of ID3 tags)

* Put the file in a folder to handle groups

* Record something in any supported format

* Copy the resultant file back to your hard drive just like any other file.

Once all these things can be done, we can write a sonic stage program which doesn't suck. Right now, sonic stage is the weak link in the chain, and it is an un-necessary link too.

I feel that Sony has been antagonizing Apple long enough, on both the market side and the communication side. Of course a drastic ad campaign and consequent lawsuit would attract interest and, possibly, buyers. (But we must remember that we are talking about products that may not even actually be put on the market -- I'm referring to Apple's flash iPod and/or MP3-supporting Hi-MD from Sony.)

What I'm saying is that Sony should start being more accommodating to its competitors, at least to those who might be helpful. Instead of being snotty about the possibility of Apple adding Hi-MD support to iTunes, Sony should see it as a great opportunity to expand its market and jump to it. This of course would be great for many of us, even though I suspect that Sony, in that case, would have to make big efforts to speed up the Hi-MD when connected to a Mac. As far as I've seen on my iBook, even using the Hi-MD as a storage drive is painfully slow, and you always feel as if it might crash at any time and blow up your data. Let's not even mention the VirtualPC+SonicStage combination -- try it and you'll never again complain about SonicStage running on an actual PC...

I am very afraid, in the end, that all our talk on the forums will not take us too far, in terms of Sony listening (reading) and realizing our wishes. But at least let's be positive and not risk making Sony even more confined on its ivory tower than it already is. More compatibility is the key, I think. Even Apple has realized it.

Just my two eurocents, of course.