Might have made a mistake, HELP !

Rate this topic

ffs

Hi Everyone,

Have bought a MZ-NH900 HI-MD player & comparing the sound to my old Minidisc player MZ-R91 I have to say I'm dissapointed.

The MZ-NH900 has too many sound settings that are basicly crap. The volume isn't loud enough when up to the maximum & the AVLS is off.

The MZ-R91 only has Mega Bass and when on full, sounds Rich & Crisp.

The volume on full is too loud so it never reaches maximum unless needed.

I really want to like this player, is there anything I can do to make it sound better and louder, maybe I need to record manually & up the recording level, (Would I have to apply titles manually too) but this defeats the purpose of burning from the computer, ease of use etc.

Should I have bought an Ipod. I didn't want to.

Does anyone else feel like this. Also what's the best bit rate for sound quality.

Be grateful for any advice. :wacky:

You might try normalizing the mp3 files before converting them to OMG. A lot of mp3 ripping programs offer normalization as an option. As far as compression and bitrate, the less compression you use, the better the sound quality--so for Hi-MD discs, the best thing you can do (aside from using uncompressed PCM) is use ATRAC3 plus at 256 kbps.

I would also encourage you to look at your headphones--are you using a *good* set? The Hi-MD units don't have a lot of output power, so you want to make sure your headphones have a low impedance (75 ohms). High impedance headphones will last longer, but on portable devices will sound softer (it takes more power to drive them). The difference in decibels (loudness) for a 75 ohms set and 600 ohms set is as much as 9db. That's a hell of a lot of difference.

-N-

You might try normalizing the mp3 files before converting them to OMG. A lot of mp3 ripping programs offer normalization as an option. As far as compression and bitrate, the less compression you use, the better the sound quality--so for Hi-MD discs, the best thing you can do (aside from using uncompressed PCM) is use ATRAC3 plus at 256 kbps.

I would also encourage you to look at your headphones--are you using a *good* set? The Hi-MD units don't have a lot of output power, so you want to make sure your headphones have a low impedance (75 ohms). High impedance headphones will last longer, but on portable devices will sound softer (it takes more power to drive them). The difference in decibels (loudness) for a 75 ohms set and 600 ohms set is as much as 9db. That's a hell of a lot of difference.

-N-

Thanks very much for your advice, I will look into what you have said.

I was more than happy with my older player & feel that Sony have made the sound quality less on the new models, if it wasn't for the 1gb disc for space, I would still use my old machine. The headphones on that are fine.

Maybe I should use the uncompressed PCM.

Thanks again for replying.

Where are you from?

Have you tried Hi-SP? It's the best solution, as employing PCM for music is a moot point as the sonic differences are hard to detect and should really only be used for recording.

Please state what headphones you're using.

Hi,

I'm from London. I'm using the headphones that came with the player. MDR-E8O8

I've used the simple MD burner program to rip Fiona Apple's- When The Pawn CD only, onto the 1 GB disk. Sounds flat compared to below.

It sounds fantastic on my MZ-R91 player from 1998, Rich, Crisp & Punchy even with the old headphones, again which came with the player. It was recorded on an 80 Mins disc from a CD player. SP not LP.

Is this because it was recorded in real time in SP mode and not ripped from the simple MD burner program?

I used the automatic recording level too. :ohmy:

The NH900 is 5mW in the USA/world, but 3mW in Europe due to French litigation. That's probably why things seem a bit different. Have you tried messing with the EQ, though?

Damn, really !

That probabaly makes a difference doesn't it. I have tried the EQ & not enough of a change. I've played the same song on both the machines at the same time & the difference is vast.

Seems like I should of bought mine from the USA. :sad:

Hi Everyone,

Have bought a MZ-NH900 HI-MD player & comparing the sound to my old Minidisc player MZ-R91 I have to say I'm dissapointed.

The MZ-NH900 has too many sound settings that are basicly crap.  The volume isn't loud enough when up to the maximum & the AVLS is off.

The MZ-R91 only has Mega Bass and when on full, sounds Rich & Crisp.

The volume on full is too loud so it never reaches maximum unless needed.

I really want to like this player, is there anything I can do to make it sound better and louder, maybe I need to record manually & up the recording level, (Would I have to apply titles manually too) but this defeats the purpose of burning from the computer, ease of use etc. 

Should I have bought an Ipod.  I didn't want to.

Does anyone else feel like this.  Also what's the best bit rate for sound quality. 

Be grateful for any advice. :wacky:

with regards to the sound voume, greendays american idiot is fantastically loud with no distortion on 1 disc, but normal volume on another, from the same copy of the CD, surely this is odd?

with regards to the sound voume, greendays american idiot is fantastically loud with no distortion on 1 disc, but normal volume on another, from the same copy of the CD, surely this is odd?

How did you put the song onto the two different discs? Did you rip them, record them, transfer them with Sonic Stage, etc...

Honestly, nine times out of ten, a problem with audio quality is related to a user accident in creating the disc. Why not do a test? Take a sample track from a CD and record it to a MD in ATRAC and play it on both players, then record the same track from the CD onto a Hi-MD formatted disc in ATRAC3Plus. There are definitely audible differences in the formats, but personally I've found ATRAC3 to be better sounding at high bitrates.

-N-

The NH900 is 5mW in the USA/world, but 3mW in Europe due to French litigation. That's probably why things seem a bit different. Have you tried messing with the EQ, though?

I think you might be right my friend. My NH900 is 3mW and I checked the specifications in the manual of my old MZ-R91 and it is 5mW even though I bought it in London 6 years ago. What's all this french litigation buissness, some rubbish no doubt.

I'm sure if my NH900 had 5mW maximum output on the headphones I would be happier, I'm gutted. Going to have to sell it & buy one from USA.

Does anyone know of a good USA website that I can purchase the NH900 with 5mW maximum output.

Cheers mad.gif

ffs, what color are you keen on and what is the most you'll pay for a NH900 from the US?

I'd would like the silver machine. Obviously I'd prefer to get the best deal I can as I've got to try & sell the one I've got. Not sure what the best price is in USA, I'd have to add the cost of delivery too. Any ideas ?

I've noticed from what I've seen that the US models come with proper around your head Headphones. I prefer to have to the ear pieces that come with the European models. Do you know if you get a choice in the US.

I can always order them as a seperate I suppose.

Thanks for your help by the way. :smile:

Most likely headphones, but I'd give them a mail just to be sure I suppose. I wouldn't suggest you adhere to those 'phones, and employ some with better sound quality.

Minidisco, a sponsor of the forums and parent site, minidisc.org, are a great US e-tailer to purchase Minidisc equipments from. I would recommend them wholeheartedly.

datavis.com is the best US price and they do ship across the pond. If you buy there, be sure to get the latest price before adding it to your cart.

Most likely headphones, but I'd give them a mail just to be sure I suppose. I wouldn't suggest you adhere to those 'phones, and employ some with better sound quality.

Minidisco, a sponsor of the forums and parent site, minidisc.org, are a great US e-tailer to purchase Minidisc equipments from. I would recommend them wholeheartedly.

datavis.com is the best US price and they do ship across the pond. If you buy there, be sure to get the latest price before adding it to your cart.

Thanks a lot, I'll be checking that out too. Is that just datavis.com. On the subject of headphones can you recommend a quality set of Earphones for the MZ-NH900. :smile:

I like Sennheiser MX550 earphones for my NH900, though they might not suit all tastes. They are relatively inexpensive, and the step-down model MX350 are pretty good too, and under a tenner...

What is it about them that wouldn't suite all tastes ?

Also where is a good place to purchase earphones ?

Thanks for your input :smile:

Sorry to be a pain guys, anymore sites that you know about in USA ?

bluetin.com haven't sent me a confirmation E mail about my request, it's been 3 days now.

datavis.com, can't seem to load the page, it starts but is taking forever to completely load. I will keep trying but if it's going to be like this all the time I need a back up or two.

I'm having crap luck at the moment.

rolleyes.gif

TYPICAL

Just when I send an order to datavis.com, I get a reply from bluetin.com apologising for the delay in aknowledging my request.

With Bluetin NH900 costs £185 inc delivery and comes with earphones, which I prefer more than headphones.

With datavis NH900 costs £178 inc delivery and comes with headphones which I'm not going to use. Also there is a good chance I'll have to be UPS tax on top of the price, which will make it more expensive. Less of a chance of that with Bluetin.

My order has already been sent to datavis but I still haven't been sent a confirmation email.

I think I should cancel my datavis order if possible and buy from bluetin. Both have 5mW output which is what I wanted & why this thread even started.

Does anyone have any reason to advise me against this ?

Thanks to everyone that has helped me on this thread, I can't wait for this to be over. I've still got to get rid of my NH900 3mW. rolleyes.gif

ffs - I just got whacked with a £19 import charge from Bluetin using FedEx- thought I'd got away with it as it was marked 'Gift'. But the dreaded import tax demand came though the door the other day. Never mind. Does take the edge off the enjoyment though, so be prepared when importing...

I'd still recommend Bluetin for their service and friendliness though...

KJ - Thanks for that info.

This tax thing is a shame, maybe you were just unlucky.

I've ordered from bluetin.com. Good to hear what you said about service etc.

Trying to cancel order with datavis.com. Hopefully there is no more problems, if they send me one, I'll end up with 3 NH900's. Nightmare !

Hope to get away with the Tax thing but I doubt I will. They're probably clued up about the gift tags & check them out. Swines.

Can I ask you; Is your NH900 a 5mW model & are you pleased with it.

Did you buy it from bluetin.com & how long did it take to arrive.

Also is there any way, apart from listening to it, to tell that it's a 5mW model.

How Paranoid am I !! :wacky:

Cheers.

ffs - no, mine's a Euro 3mW model, presumably like you had (or still have?). I'm happy with the sound level, though if I'd waited I'd have ordered one (ie. 5mW) from bluetin. If fact i still might after crimbo and use the 3mW NH900 for recording or line out duties. 3mW is just about OK - but obviously I'd still prefer 5mW, and would swap for one in a flash if I could.

As to output levels - I never need to turn the NH900 over about 18/30, but I do use the custom EQ settings quite a bit which seems to boost the output levels siomewhat. I'm totally pleased with this, but I can understand anyone being concerned (paranoid if you like) - I'd prefer to have 5mW, but

FYI I ordered a Sony D-E900 CD player from Bluetin as the PCDP's also suffer from Euro-crippling and I wanted a black model which you can't get over here. It took about 3 days to arrive - I was staggered, I guess it must have been flown over. I used my credit card (visa) to pay - I don't know if that helped to clear it fast. Anyway, totally pleased with the transaction