Survey: How has Sonic Stage performed for you?

Rate this topic

mgdimo

OK, I have almost one full Gb of my band, my kids, jam sessions, etc and I know I have to put it on the computer SOMETIME!

But I hesitate. Frankly, I'm nervous. I don't wanna lose my recordings! I've read some unfortunate stories on these forums regarding SS.

So could you all chime in on your comfort level with Sonic Stage? Structure it how you'd like...scale of 1 - 10, recommendations, v2.0, 2.1, 2.2, download, upload, whatever. I'm looking for the consensus of this MD community. Thanks so much. I hope others will benefit from this too.

[Mac users need not respond. That pisses me off, sony!!] mad.gif

Never had a problem with SS 2.0+ (When transferring songs TO my device.)

There was one time where it froze because I accidentally clicked something on the Connect webpage when I was trying to get to the "Import Music" tab, but other than that, it's worked beautifully.

But then again, I had to live with OpenMG Jukebox for awhile. :rasp:

I read Dex's suggestions. But I still haven't downloaded yet.

Anyone else have a pro or con story?

Also, what's your success rate with real time downloading vs. faster-than-real time.

Pardon my dumb questions. I'm still quite new to this medium. smile.gif

GREG

Got 2.1, and there were no problems with going minidisc to computer until recently, 2 screw ups already, it could be sonicstage "wearing out" that does it.

Nowadays, multiple backups ensure nothing gets lost.

All sound is triple backed up, firstly with Totalrecorder, then the sonicstage library which is "closed" and burned to cd or dvd when it reaches the ripe size, and with Wave Converter. The sonicstage library's size is always checked and never allowed to grow too big.

The fourth one is the "final edits" which are used for listening.

all tunes in each of the three backups start with total~recorded, sonicstaged or wave~converted in there name so tracing is easier if the backups accidentally get mixed up.

If and upload screws up, the total recorded wave will get $$$$$$$$$$ put on the end like upload~screwed~sound_$$$$$$$$$$.wav to say extra care must be taken with that tune as that is the only "original".

This way will chomp through a lot of blank cd's and dvd's but its the safest way as the sonicstaged originals will be hard to get to once burned to disc

No problems from PC to MD but I completely lost one full set and I lost another show but I was able to find the tracks intact on the MD both times. I now do an analog copy via my Creative Audio Audigy ZS 2 just in case before any uploading. At least I still have been able to salvage what is on the Hi-MD when I do have problems. I have read others who have not been so lucky.

For me, I have been able to avoid the problem by tracking before uploading to minimize the size of the data chunk. It's been the way to go for me so far. Overall, I would give SS a C+ and I really like my 2.3 without Connect even better!