Using Line-In to record...

Rate this topic

LowEnd

I use an MZ-NH1 and Core Sound cardoid mics

Up until now I have been running my mics into the "mic input" and getting decent recordings. I recently bought a two channel mixer so I could run the mics into one channel and a line off the board into the other channel then mix and run into the minidisc. I didn't realize that I needed a pre-amp to power the mics so... I bought a 9 volt pre-amp.

Thats the backstory... now onto my question... after receiving my pre-amp I had a gig to record but I didn't want to mess with the mixer but I wanted to try out the pre-amp. I tried plugging the mics into the pre-amp and the pre-amp into the "Line In" of the minidisc because I heard that would give a better sounding recording then the mic-in. The problem is that the recording level is not loud enough. Even with a fairly loud test of cranking up my home stereo and I cranked the recording level up to 30/30 and could barely get the level to touch the first dot. I usually like to get my recordings between the first and second dots. Am I missing something here? I assumed I would have plenty of headroom to set the recording level... any thoughts would be appreciated.

By the way, I still used the pre-amp and ran it into the mic-in (I did notice that I only had to set the recording level to about 12/30 to get a good recording level which is lower then without the pre-amp) and the recording turned out great.

Any thoughts on how to get the recording level "hotter" using the line-in?

The SPL at a show will usually be a lot more than your home stereo can put out if it's inside a club,etc. You might get some distortion with higher SPL if you keep it in the MIC IN. Instead of a 9V battery box, look at something like the Reactive Sounds Boost box to boost the signal not just power the mics like a 9V battery box. Or maybe I read it wrong and you do have a preamp. If so, is it adjustable for the gain? I think your source may have been the problem. Even with the battery box/preamp, with low SPL you still might need a bigger boost. The battery box through the Mic In will definitely take the work off your MD preamp (which isn't that great).

Thanks for the response... you may be right, my home stereo as a source may not be the best test. I ought to try it in a live club setting. The recording I got using a 9 volt pre-amp and running "mic in" turned out great. No distortion. I may try the line-in at our next gig to see how it does.

• 3 months later...

I've always gone line in. Sound professionals cardoids along with their mini battery module.

I know most will consider this absolutely blasphemous, but I use line in with the auto gain control on. Why? Because it has always given me great results and most importantly- it lets me record without having to wory whether my levels are ok. I used to record with a sharp unit where I could play with the levels on the fly and that was nice, but I just really prefer the auto gain control.

All the shows I tape are incredibly loud... the doors, zz top, joe satriani.. its just nice haing the AGC keeping everything in check. That being said, I've never had a problem with a recording being too low. If I went to a quieter concert, I'd definietly consider switching off the AGC and setting the levels myself.

edit: one show was so loud that even the AGC couldnt handle it. AGC along with bass roll off was still not enough.... that was a loud one!

Edited by Zappa