Why go md?

Rate this topic

ricerboi88

ive been looking into md players and i still dont see why they cost so much more that an mp3/cd player. i was wondering if there's something i missed that would make me buy an mp3/cd player vs. an md player. so far, here are the differences between the two that i've found.

mp3/cd:

bigger and bulkier than md

can store more songs than net md

includes atrac3plus vs. netmd

md:

smaller in size

record straight from inline source

longer battery life

so far, i dont see why an md cost more when an mp3/cd player can store more songs and even includes the atrac3plus format? is there something im missing about mds?

For me, the reasons are simple: sound quality, size, better compression than MP3 (IMO,) smaller media, and the ability to make high-quality recordings. Also, I like the ability to physically HOLD my collection. Call me old-fashioned, but I think I missed the bus by just a few years when it comes to MP3. All these kids today are really into MP3 and Ipods, etc. I'm making myself sound older than I am, I'm only 20, but those are my reasons.. lol

Also, I like the ability to physically HOLD my collection.

That makes SO much sense to me! (probably coz I'm even older than you!)

Anyway - to first answer your question about why the cost is more than an mp3 player - I would think partially because of more mechanical parts... and lets also not forget in many cases you're paying for a SONY. Even though there are other off-shoot brands, Sony set the market price, and that's just how it is... but they're cheaper than iPod.

Also, I do feel the MD sounds better - and love, just LOVE those lil' discs and the size of the unit. MP3 'sticks' feel cheaper than a fountain pen... MD is JUST the right physical size for me - not to small, not too big.

There's my 2 cents.

well u can record ANYWHERE with an md recorder, u can even use your head phones as mics (i recorded a lot of memorable moments on an md with headphones, comes in handy even when u dont think u'll record anything) and i just love being able to put it in my pocket (yeah u cant do this with a cd player, let alone a mp3 cd player) and having the remote to change the songs, just awesome.

yes, but a sony mp3/cd player still offers atrac3plus encoding, so i guess my question is, why not buy a sony mp3/cd player rather than an md?

Well, my guess is that no one really buys a MD player b/c of the ATRAC format. I feel that ATRAC is merely a technicality that we have to deal with with MD. Don't get me wrong, it does sound *good*, but there are countless other technologies that Sony could have used instead. To a lot of ppl, size is definately a factor to be considered. Also, the recording capabilites. However, if all you want to do is listen to MP3s, I wouldn't suggest a MD player. As for cost: Sony pretty much sets the price. While MP3 is universally "accepted," MD is at the mercy of Sony.

Well, I've been searching for a music player for about 3 months. I really disliked the iPod, they are too expensive for what they do and I've seen other people having problems with them on Windows PC, to the point of erasing their entire collection. I was looking mainly for mp3 players, since that's what I mostly have. However, when I saw the Hi-MD players, I liked many of the features they offer, and I must say that I'm happy with my player so far. The ability to store music is unlimited (as long as you keep buying discs), and the fact that you can record live stuff with excelent quality is a plus. I also wanted a unit that had FM tuner, since sometimes I get bored of listening to the music I have.

I do have some nitpicks, though. SonicStage is a crappy software, and the fact that only windows is supported also affects me, since my laptop runs linux primarly, which means I have to switch to Windows just to transfer music to my unit.

Bottom line, I'm happy with it, but I wish Sony would improve its software and/or open a little its specs so compatible sofwtare could be made.