newbie question: MD to HDD recording

Rate this topic

StuckInThe80s

Hi, I have a question which I'm sure will be easy for someone to answer.

I want to transfer some old minidisc recordings to my computer. Does this have to be done in real time? NetMD makes it easy to transfer from PC to MD and then back again, but what about transfering recordings to PC that were originally made on an old minidisc machine? Can anybody recommend a cheapish portable minidisc unit that will solve my problem? I don't want to transfer 80 hours of music in real time!

Any advice gratefully received.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hijack this thread but I'd like to ask a few more questions about getting my old MD recordings transferred to computer via my brand new MZ-NH900 (with which I'm very happy with at the moment biggrin.gif ).

I am aware of the current methods of transferring it's just that I think it would be handy if there was a direct transfer option. My main question is - might it possible for someone to write their own code to do this via USB or are there other factors involved that would make it impossibe?

I for one would contribute to a project to make this possible.

Thanks in advance

Andrew

Stuckinthe80s, look at the first Sticky (NetMD 1.3) on this topic. NetMD transfers track by track (in realtime) from the MD, so if you've already separated and labeled tracks it makes things a lot easier. His new website is in some of the last posts on the topic.

Andrew, direct transfer sure would be handy. Unfortunately, Sony has stuck a lot of DRM wrappers/encryption in the way, and breaking them is difficult and probably illegal. The two-step process with Sonic Stage/WAV converter usually works despite the annoyance factor.

The two-step process with Sonic Stage/WAV converter usually works despite the annoyance factor.

Thanks for replying.

I dont think that works with my older MD recordings. I've got some that were recorded on a Sharp MD-MT20 (poor thing, it only has 2 screws holding it together). I wouldn't mind a 2 step transformation process with my MZ-NH900 via USB.

Andrew