sonicstage crashing when transferring to 900

Rate this topic

daiv

yesterday, it worked fine. i transferred 80 tunes and listened all day. i am still learning how to record, but i did it successfully twice on just junk noise and me babbling incessantly. today, when i try to transfer from my computer to my nh900 it crashes. i tried another disk and it didnt work. just to check, i tried to upload, and i didnt have a problem. i can play from the minidisc in sonicstage, read, change names, add groups, upload, but not transfer. it just crashes. doesnt even start to transfer.

what should i do? i thought it might be my computer, but then it doesnt make sense that it would be able to upload and change names / add groups. it would make more sense if sonicstage just crashed whenever i connected the 900, but it ONLY crashes when i try to transfer.

What version of SS are you using?

What bit rate were the files recorded? PCM? Hi-SP?

How large were the files you were attempting to upload?

I have had problems uploading large PCM files (crashes SS) but usually have no problems if I track them and upload the smaller files individually.

i was going to post this in tech support but i'll try in this thread first...

sonicstage 2.3 wont let me fill any disc, HI-MD or standard in HI-MD mode.. it crashes every time before it gets about 3/4 full

the files were of all kinds of bitrates, normal song sized files

at first i thought it was because i was transfering large amounts of data (albums) at a time, but even when i try one or just a few songs at a time it crashes

my NH900 will just make this repeated clicking buzzing sequence, sonicstage will become unresponsive or eventually say "the following tracks could not be transfered" (without giving a reason and before the disc is even close to full). when it recovers, it says the disk is full when its not even close, and the las album to be transfered is not on the disc, though sonicstage shows its empty folder on the disc, and the NH900 itself doesn't even show the folder

when it doesn't recover, sonicstage crashes, and the NH900 will be stuck in that writing sound i described... one sonicstage is closed ill unhook the USB... (using 'safely remove hardware' if it works) and the unit wont stop acting like its recording

the only way to stop it is to take out the battery

when the unit restarts, it says "Cannot record or play" ...... "write audio file?" whatever i choose, it formats the disc and all is lost

right now, after just doing the "cannot read or write" thing, its "system file writing" on a 300meg disc, as it has been for the last 15 minutes since sonicstage crashed

the first few discs i wrote i filled successfully, a 1gig disc and a couple 300meg discs......... but the last several 300 meg discs and 2 other 1gig discs all have this problem

any ideas?

i'm using ss 2.3 upgraded from 2.2. i dont know the bit rate, but it worked fine the first day i got it, and i could transfer like 20 files at a time, and now it wont transfer one. i have not heard any clicks from my player, and like i said i can upload to sonicstage but not download from, even though i could the first day i got it no problem.

i run windows xp, amd 1.0 ghz. i dont use a bus to connect the minidisc.

Kurisu,

I still have not installed SP2 and here's why. I found this on www.slsknet.org, the website for Soulseek, the best indie-music file-sharing client.

http://faq.slsknet.org/index.php?sid=32157...=576&artlang=en

The gist of it is this:

"Service Pack 2 contains a number of bug fixes and new features.

One of those new "features" is a capping on the number of concurrent half-open TCP connections. Windows XP SP2 is [missing word here: limiting?] severely the number of ongoing connections you can make to the Internet in a given laps of time (maximum 10 half-open TCP connections). SoulSeek, like any P2P software, rely heavily on ongoing connections to connect to the SoulSeek Distributed Network and to initiate File transfers. The software will seems to "hang" while it's actually Windows XP delaying the connection.

The bad news is that this capping setting CANNOT be changed. Microsoft just didn't provide any registry entries nor configuration file to do this.

To restore pre-SP2 behavior (= no limit), you must patch a system file."

Given that Sony and Microsoft have also been playing patch-the-software games with SonicStage and security updates, and that SP2 also flummoxes a whole variety of other programs, I am going to try and get along without SP2 and have my computer actually continue to work.

Referring to this? That's such a silly thing to worry about, unless you're doing P2P sharing - which I hope that few of you delve into as the list of fallacies that result from such are so long I'd break the buffer. Otherwise, you'd never realize the difference between being capped or not. The real reason why Microsoft did this is because having a high allowance for half-open TCP connections is leaving you very vulnerable to SYN based attacks [additional info]. I'm glad that they've limited it, and additionally, did you know that a half open connection can stay "alive" for more than ten minutes? :shock:

Nonetheless, the program incompatibility portion of SP2 has been blown out of preportion by Anti-Microsoft helions. What programs do you employ commonly, A440? Most don't have issues with SP2 anymore, and if so, patches exist for them to play nice.

Additionally, SP2 includes updates to the JET database [v.4], MDAC, and many other crucial components relevant to the best possible Sonicstage experience. I've run SP2 now for months and have never looked back.

swiching the USB port made no difference

once a 1 gig disc gets to about 500 megs full, adding any individual track starts to take a veeerrrrry long time, if it happens at all. if i add more than a couple it freezes, the minidisc freezes (even after disconnected) and wont stop until you cut off power, and the disc is erased

with 300 meg discs i can get them closer to full before this happens, like within 40 megs

simpleburner has the same problem

any ideas?

has anyone else experienced this?

deafplayer, is there space left on your hard drive? Maybe Sonicstage needs some empty MB to do its processing.

And Kurisu, I can't believe your blanket condemnation of P2P.

Unlike Kazaa or Grokster or Edonkey, Soulseek ( www.slsknet.org ) has no adware or spyware and I haven't gotten a spoofed file on it yet, while I have found plenty of music that's not in stores or on (miserable-sounding) iTunes.

I've got Norton Internet Security, which had SP2 problems. I also regularly run a VPN. Do a search on www.symantec.com for SP2 and VPN and you'll see that Norton has some lovely SP2 fixes that are "not to be applied to the firewall computer"--that is, my only computer. I'd rather have Soulseek and a working VPN than the dubious benefits and documented problems of SP2.

Sorry A440, I absolutely hate Norton. It's garbage bloatware that doesn't even detect viruses well. I've seen that the free online scan at housecall.trendmicro.com consistantly find viruses that Norton, McAfee and even AVG will not. For the last year, Trendmicro's virus engine has been king, and this is from experience of diagnosising more than a thousand infected computers whilst at work.

Sorry for bouncing on Soulseek. Looks nice. :happy:

Kurisu, you're right on that one. Symantec's bloatware becomes crappier with every version.

Personally, I would suggest, that Peter Norton should drag Symantec into court for abusing his name...

Speaking of the Usenet newsgroups, the problem is to get a real good server with a very good multi-peer connectivity.

Otherwise, the choice is limited or you get incomplete files or the stuff has such a short lifetime, that it disappears faster than you can download it.

Plus, most ISPs don't even carry the binary groups.

So, expect to pay 10 to 20 bucks per month to get good service, but then you do get a good sever, often a choice of servers catering for your needs.

I had used NewsFeeds.Com before and they where fast and reliable.

• 3 weeks later...