VERY slow CD burning!

Rate this topic

hp

Hi All. I'm the proud owner of a new NH700. Cant belive the the quality and capacity at HI-LP. However i'm very dissappointed with the speed of copying CD's, its almost no better than real time. My system meets all the system requirements but i'm not achieving the quited 100x copy speed. Is there anything ican do to improve this? I'm running XPhome, 196 RAM, AMDK6 processor.

Thanks

HP

The MD (not CD) copy speed which is quoted at 100x is in reference to the speed at which the HiMD recorders (the 700 included) can transfer data to the disc (somewhere around 400-800kb/s)

The reason you are not coming close is because you are encoding the files into atrac3+ on the fly which means you have to wait for it to encode the file *before* it even starts the 100x transfer.

To fix this problem rip your music into SonicStage and convert them in there. Then transfer the converted files to the MD. This will go at the higher speed.

By the way, 100x only refers to transfering a 48kbps song not anything else, so in actuality it will be slightly slower.

Daiv, the 100x is the difference of Hi-LP@48k transfer time compared to real time. It has nothing to do with the cd drive.

The tracks must already present on the harddisk AND already be converted to Hi-LP@48k.

Only then the 100x will be reached. And of course with a 1 GByte disc only.

And I have to agree with Latexxx as well, in hp's case, the K6 is the limiting factor here.

With an Athlon XP2000+ I get a 70min. CD into SS2.3 in about 6 minutes.

Since it ends up as Hi-SP, transferring these tracks then onto a 1GByte disc takes another 5 minutes (~10 min. for a standard disc).

• 2 weeks later...

Its definitely the K6 proccesor and the need to encode Atrac3 on-the-fly. Depending on your CD read speed, this could be an issue--but the bandwidth of an IDE bus tops out at a theoretical maximum (if I recall correctly..) 133mb/s. Faster than most CD drives today. Its something else thaz causing the bottle neck...

Actually, to go further into the subject of CD-ROM speed...by my calculation if I am correct the fastest read/write speed a CD-ROM can have is 30MB a second or so.

That is based off of 600kb a sec per 1x increase of speed. So..1024 in one MB, 52x600 is 31200/1024= 30.46875. My math skills do suck, but I'm pretty sure I got that part right. Anyone wanna correct me?

~a.i.h.

Actually, to go further into the subject of CD-ROM speed...by my calculation if I am correct the fastest read/write speed a CD-ROM can have is 30MB a second or so.

That is based off of 600kb a sec per 1x increase of speed. So..1024 in one MB, 52x600 is 31200/1024= 30.46875. My math skills do suck, but I'm pretty sure I got that part right. Anyone wanna correct me?

~a.i.h.

actually 1x speed for a CD-ROM is 150kbps

so at 56x150 = 8400kbps ~~ 8.4MB/s

• 1 month later...

Cause I want to buy a Hi-MD this week I'm now looking for information about it.

As I nowhere found upload times on Hi-MD I tried to calculate it...please correct me or inform me about your upload times, thanx!

100x upload speed (of 48kbps coded songs), seems to be 4.8Mbps, doesn't it? That would be 0.6MByte/s, so it would result a upload-time for 1GB of approximately 28mins?

Am I totally wrong or does it take so long?

its 100x transfer from PC -- MD meaning it can transfer a 48kbps song at 100x real time (in ideal settings). This equates to approx 48*100 = 4,800kbps or about 600KB/s or about 0.6MB per second correct However this doesnt take into account seek time or TOC writing time which adds to it. People have had horror stories of writing full HiMD discs and that taking about 40+min