SS trashed my 1GB disc! Help!!

Rate this topic

FlatEarth

After replacing my 600 with a new one (and a service plan!!) I started moving tracks saved from SS 2.2 onto a 1GB disc. However, as it was writing the files, SS crashed (of course) and now the disc is totally unreadable!!! I've tried going in after a reboot to initialize the disc, but the 600 unit won't even recognize it and of course the software wofn't react. Even windows says there is no disc in the unit. What can I do to remake the TOC on this disc and try to get it back? The unit just says there's a format error and I can't find a way to fix it!

Thanks a bunch guys!!

jojo

formatthe disc through windows, and make sure that sonic stage isnt open when you try to do so, or windows will not see anything in the device

also try to unplug the unit and take out the battery, then put the battery back in reboot your pc and hook the usb back up, also, make sure that next time you are writing discs, try not to have other applications running at the same time, or be using other application, ususaly this helps to avoid crashing, as for recovering your music that was lost during the crash

you may be out of luck this happend to me once and i ended up replacing my music on the disc, it sucks but thats the way it is....

good luck

Thanks for the suggestions... I'll try reformating from the unit when I get home in a few hours, and I'm not worried about losing the music on the disc since it's still in SS.

The one thing I'm worried about is that the unit goes straight to saying 'format error' as soon as I put the disk in, and I can't even get windows to recognize there's a disc in the unit, so formating thru XP is a no go.

Thanks again, and will scribble back after I've tried to see if the unit itself will let me reformat the 1gb disc. :wacky:

Uhm... maybe I missed it, but I was just scrolling through the options on the unit and I didn't see any for formatting the disc in the menus. The manual said that there's the option of recording in md/hi-md for standard discs, but only hi-md for 1gb discs.

Did I miss this option on the 600, or is it not there?

Thanks!

Okie dokie, here's what happened:

Not sure if I jumped too many options here, but this worked for me.

I went home and got the same error as soon as I put the 1gb disc into the 600. Without plugging it into the USB, I went through the navi/menu selections and tried to reset it to Hi-MD. When I pressed play/enter, it still popped up with an error and refused to do anything.

I went through the options again and this time I turned OFF the disc memory setting, ejected the disc and also (for some reason I'm not sure...desperation?) CLOSED the write tab on the disc to write protected. When I put the disc back into the player, it asked me if I wanted to format yes/no (i'd never seen this option before) and viola! It re-wrote the TOC.

The disk is blank, of course, but I'm ecstatic to have it back. Just tested a transfer to fill the entire disc and it worked flawlessly! Thanks a million everyone and I hope that if anyone else gets a trashed disc from SS that this works for them too!!

jojo