Can't find specs on these things?

Rate this topic

Soapm

I got an Olympus DS-330 digital recorder for Christmas. It was to replace my dragging, unreliable cassette I use to record the choir and sermons at church. I've used it twice now and it sounds like i'm listening through a toilet paper tube. I suspect it is because the specs are 300 -5K bandwidth at 12k sample rate. Obviously, I have the wrong device and the widest bandwidth I can find on a digital recorder was the Sony BM1 @ 60 - 11Khz, 44.1khz sample. Better but don't we hear up to like 20Khz?

Been looking at minidisc but I can't tell what the specs are. I hate to end up making a second bad investment so soon.

Looking for something very, very small, preferably that will fit in my pants pocket but I guess I may have to settle for my suit coat pocket. Definately the smaller the better. Built in battery/mic a must. Stereo would be ok but not mandatory since I can use sound forge to make it into stereo. Most I want is quality sound (fidelity instead of 300 - 5Khz), something better than my old cassette yet something I can EASILY edit the files and burn them to CD. This digital recorder has a docking station with software that makes this process a snap.

I read another post saying wait on the generation 2 HI-MD. Is that the consensus or is my ideal device already on the market? How about the NH900? Is this what I want?

Budget, $100 would make me happy but I may can go up to $250 or $300 if I must. I'm fairly froogle, not cheap, froogle! :wink:

What do you guys think of the MZ-NH1 or would a basic MD line the NH600D be ok for my needs? Looks like the MZ-NH1 has all the features I was looking for but may be an over kill since I don't think I need things like optical/line in etc... I don't like the odd size rechargeable battery or the USB connection not being on the dock/charger but other than that it looks ok. The NH600D looks like a cheap, feature less version of the same player. Does it even have a built in mic? I can't tell. What are your thoughts?

Also, what does, "Auto Personal Disk Memory capacity" give you?

None of the Hi-MD units have a built in mic, you must use your own either via the Mic or Line in. I would suggest you look at the NH900 from a e-tailer such as Minidisco, or if you wish to find the cheapest price maybe try etronics.com or datavis.com.

Uploading is pretty easy. You use Sonicstage to transfer it to PC, and then use Marcnet's utility or Sony's wav converter to put it in *.wav format. It really is very easy.

None of the Hi-MD units have a built in mic, you must use your own either via the Mic or Line in.

Well, since I plan to record at church I was hopeing for something I could lay down somewhere and it won't be in the way. An external mic could make this option bulky and real noticeable. Do they make a small mic that may stick to or cling to as opposed to out of a NH900? I decided it was the one for me. Now I'm wondering if I should have looked at HD units a little more.

Well, since I plan to record at church I was hopeing for something I could lay down somewhere and it won't be in the way. An external mic could make this option bulky and real noticeable. Do they make a small mic that may stick to or cling to as opposed to out of a NH900?

Actually, they have quite a few microphones out there for MD units that aren't noticable at all. Some of which stick out of the mic-in port of the units only an inch or so, no more.

I don't know where you can purchase these, however if you're not opposed to eBay, there are many, many mics like that for sale for relatively cheap.

Example of those mics would be this little guy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...3772978535&rd=1