Does anyone actually USE SonicStage?

Rate this topic

petertkalec

Does anyone out there actually use that wonderful piece of junk as it's intended? I mean as your primary music organizer & player, keeping your files in Sony's formats, etc.

I'm considering giving it a try - sort of "if you can't beat 'em..." - but I'm pretty sure it will just lead to frustration and more Sony-resentment.

I hate the very basics of the software - just browsing for tunes is awkward. But maybe if I just make the switch I'll get used to things?

Any thoughts?

Sad to say, you're absolutely right about it. Unfortunatelly, still, if I understood what people wrote here - it is the only way to organize and transfer music digitally...

My greatest dissapointment is how such piece of software looks, graphic design is terrible, not to speak of functionality itself. I will understand if the whole thing is coming from some unknown company, but for a brand such as Sony, there is so little excuse, IMO, a way to much over descent looking, and very good sounding HiMD unit.

But, maybe this is only transition period for SS to something more fancy looking and perfect functioning software, who knows?

I certainly don't use all of its functionality, but that's more by choice than the software. I've played with iTunes, and I wouldn't use it either. I have no desire to keep music stored on my computer's hard drive. It's got plenty of room, but I just don't see the point. I have large CD changers that hold my CDs, and I simply use the computer to transfer music to MD for listening in the car and at work.

I just storing music compressed on a computer is a waste.

Does anyone out there actually use that wonderful piece of junk as it's intended?

No, I don't. I record music in realtime from vinyl, radio and CD - I just don't have any use for the software. Maybe I would use it now and then if NetMD wouldn't restrict me so much - not being able to edit or delete tracks is not acceptable for me.

Edited by Sharpo51

Although I don't have my Hi-MD yet, I downloaded sonicstage to convert my files to atrac so I would have to do it once I got my Hi-MD. Now all my music files are atrac and AFAIK I have to use SS to listen to them. Does anyone if there is a programme that will play atrac files other than SS?

orb_cz:

I seem to remember that later versions of Windows Media Player could be persuaded to play the .omg files that SonicStage 2.0 used. Unfortunately it seems that the .oma files that later versions of SonicStage use cannot be understood by anything except SonicStage.

** Update **

I have upgraded to SonicStage 2.3 and .oma files still cannot be played in Windows Media Player. Also, before I upgraded to 2.3 I tried Real Player and it could not play .oma files, nor could it find and software update to allow it to play them.

However, by a happy coincidence, I got sick of Real Player today and replaced it with Real Alternative http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_A...Alternative.htm which manages to play my .oma files! :grin:

Although Real Alternative is not a full music management suite like SonicStage or iTunes, it is dead easy and quick to use and plays the .oma files without the huge overhead of SonicStage.

So there is hope yet...

Dave

Thanx Dave that player helped.

I tried to play an .oma file in Windows Media Player 10 and it worked. However, you have to go through some error messages first. Lets hope more players will soon be able to play .oma files.

Thanx orb_cz

yeah when I tried to play the .oma files in Windows Media my virus scan software kicked in claming buffer overflow so I think that is a no-no for me!

The other programs (WMP, Real Alternative etc) use the OpenMG secure module I think and therfore I suspect that you can still only play the .oma files on the computer they originated from.

My NH900 is used, not for music mostly, but to record interviews, one-person performance pieces and sound effects for a radio drama series.

For this I do use SonicStage 2.3 to transfer these files to my computer, and the Sony Wave Converter to make them usable in my sound editor.

My main complaints so far: (1) File names given in the SonicStage right hand column are not transferred to the "Music Library" when the files are copied there (though they are of course copied to the files on the Hi-Md disc): (2) The dreary length of time needed to transfer files from the minidisc to the computer.

SC

Does anyone out there actually use that wonderful piece of junk as it's intended?  I mean as your primary music organizer & player, keeping your files in Sony's formats, etc. 

I'm considering giving it a try - sort of "if you can't beat 'em..." - but I'm pretty sure it will just lead to frustration and more Sony-resentment. 

I hate the very basics of the software - just browsing for tunes is awkward.  But maybe if I just make the switch I'll get used to things? 

Any thoughts?

I don't use my PC as my music Library but I can't imagine using Sonic Stage for anything other than "uploading" your recordings. I don't even use it for that... Real Time Transfer is where it's at... don't give Sony a chance to trash your recordings... the uploaded files are *not* the same as the orginials.

I only use Simple Burner to transfer to the HiMD and Sonic Stage ONLY to play back the files for real time transfer.

I only every use SS to upload/transfer files from my PC to MD. I have both the .mp3 and .oma music files on my PC, so listen to all music through WMP. Any file I record on my MD, as soon as I have transferred it back to the PC, I use marcs fantastic tool to convert it to .mp3 biggrin.gif

SS never seems to 'trash' my recordings... :S

I actually like SonicStage... Probably because I don't download that much music. I find it very useful for keeping my CDs organized on the PC. And with the HDMD unit it's a breeze to create a disc from my collection (not to mention a lot faster than MDLP was...) I still like to make recordings using my MD deck and a optic cable, but SonicStage is useful for browsing through my collection and creating a quick disc to take to school or work with me. If only I had HiMD in my car wacko.gif

now all we need is a piece of software that can burn Audio CDs from .oma files, and we can do away with MP3

Versions 2.x of SonicStage can do this. I'm not sure if the one bundled with the Hi-MD units can, but certainly version 2.3 and the other versions that have been available on connect.com and connect-euro.com allow burning of .OMA files to CD.

As far as other methods go, you do have the "Simpleburner-Nero" trick.

EG. There's a guy on the T-Board who stores all his music in FLAC (Free Lossles Audio Codec). When he want's his music on his MD, he uses Nero, with a FLAC plugin [from NeroPlugins.cd-rw.org] and burns a "image file" (.NRG) of the CD, and "mounts" it to a "virtual drive". SimpleBurner can recognise this drive and transfer the info to the MD.

Of course it's a backhand approach, but it's an option available to you. You're not limited to FLAC files of course (you can use any Nero supports ie OGG, AAC, MP3), and you don't have to use NERO, their is other software that can do this too. Bear in mind, that if you use a LOSSY codec, you will incur further losses through transcoding to ATRAC but it's a viable, if somewhat messy method to get music onto your MD.

Some things you might want to google are:

- Nero Fast-Burning Plugin for Windows Media Player (useful for burning virtual Images if you don't have Nero)

- Daemon Tools (used for mounting various CD-Image file formats)

Also don't forget you also have Marcs Renderer at your disposal for turning .OMA files into WAVs.

In my experience it is possible to get Windows Media Player to play .OMAs but you'll end up with a warning dialog, plus it can't play gapless like SonicStage can.

If you don't intend on using you're computer as a Music Library then SonicStage is fine for the purposes of transfer and listening on your computer. I agree fully, that it still has a long way to go to become as friendly as iTunes. Even Windows Media Player is easie to use ohmy.gif

I only every use SS to upload/transfer files from my PC to MD.  I have both the .mp3 and .oma music files on my PC, so listen to all music through WMP.  Any file I record on my MD, as soon as I have transferred it back to the PC, I use marcs fantastic tool to convert it to .mp3 biggrin.gif

SS never seems to 'trash' my recordings... :S

Hey there

What is this tool that you use to convert recordings to mp3s? biggrin.gif

I've been wanting to do that for such a long time!

your reply would be very appreciated : )

I only use it for transfering MP3's and ripping cd'd, then I delete the OMA's and clean out the library too.

SS can't play files randomly, so its not very usefull; it plays the library folders in succession, one at a time randomly, not technically random. The MD it's self plays files randomly with out this problem.

I can do more with MP3's; like edit and mix - or even add them to a AVI for a music video, so im in no hurry to convert over to OMA. Most of my CD's are 10 years old and fading, so I want my HD copies to be very portable so i can still do stuff with them later on.

Edited by Uzzi

Although I don't have my Hi-MD yet, I downloaded sonicstage to convert my files to atrac so I would have to do it once I got my Hi-MD.  Now all my music files are atrac and AFAIK I have to use SS to listen to them.  Does anyone if there is a programme that will play atrac files other than SS?

You know, I'd suggest you got Marcnet's Hi-MD renderer to see if you can convert those files to something that you can play on any computer without the draconian DRM of OMA files. You never know when a HDD can get wiped out, and all your music on it go Bye bye.