blank DVD-R storage case

Rate this topic

Happy Hopping

You know, I really want to convince myself that a nylon binder from Case Logic which stores 200 DVD+R blank media worth $30. But I can't because it is extortion.

It's a lousy binder with plastic leaves that stores DVD/CD blank media.

So if I buy a spinal of 100 DVD+R, I have no choice but to buy a $30 DVD+R nylon binder?

A few bucks for a nylon or plastic binder, no problem but $30?

And I checked Walmart too, different brand name, but same price range.

What do you guys buy for storing 100+ spinal blank DVD+R media?

That's about all I can think of too. But if I shop on line, by the time I added shipping, we are back to $24.95 for the sleeves that I can get locally.

In short, to cut shipping, I have to find this item locally for a few bucks. $8 is good for 200, if it is available in CA, it should be available everywhere. Thanks for the info.

I'd recommend plain ole jewel cases.

Everything else, be it sleeves or binders or even slim JCs, makes contact with the read surface and WILL scratch it.

I used to keep my CDs in a binder. I was shocked at how fast they got scratched when I am very careful with my discs. Now, I leave them in JCs they come in or in the case of DVD-Rs\CD-Rs, I buy empty ones. My CDs don't have a scratch on them and some I've had for years now...

Yes, this does take up a good deal of space. But if it's at home, does it really matter? Buy a CD jewel case rack or DIY one. tongue.gif

The aforementioned Slappa cases would be very good at not scratching the CDs. The OP is looking for a cheap solution though. Jewel cases are not much cheaper than a binder, are harder to store, and take up more shelf space. A binder of some sort is the way to go.

I'll probably buy Slappa cases for myself.

Used to be back in the early to mid 90s, there were a line of CD cases that essentially used Jewel Case innards vs. the sleeves. This was, of course, before Case Logic beat the smack out of every other CD case makers. I used to use those exclusively, but they had their faults. For one, they were about 2x heavy as a comparable Case Logic cases, and the center spindle would get loose, leading to loose CDs in some cases. And loose CDs usually meant scratched CDs.

I do miss those these days. I think a good alternative to the Case Logics are the Soft Sleeve CD carriers. They are still prone to scratches and scuffs, but I think they don't scratch as much as case logics.

I also realise that this is old news, but the side that you should take care is the silk screened side, since those are virtually unprotected vs. the read side.

In a pinch, one of those CD Cake holders will do nicely.

I'd recommend plain ole jewel cases.

Everything else, be it sleeves or binders or even slim JCs, makes contact with the read surface and WILL scratch it.

I used to keep my CDs in a binder. I was shocked at how fast they got scratched when I am very careful with my discs. Now, I leave them in JCs they come in or in the case of DVD-Rs\CD-Rs, I buy empty ones. My CDs don't have a scratch on them and some I've had for years now...

I can't see how can a soft sleeves scratch your Cd. How's that possible?

By contrast, I have hundreds of music Cd, and the scratch always occur when you try to snap that hole in the center of the jewel case, you finger slip, and the hole became off-center, then slide to one side, and the embossed spot at the center of your jewel case scratch along the bottom of your disc.

As well, jewel case sucks up way too much space if you have 200+ DVD. There is no room and no comparison vs. a binder that fits 200. I am just surprise those sleeves costs that much.

I tried Staples, Office Depot as well, same thing. Look like the brown color CD case at Walmart is the best price w/ very soft leather on the outside.

I can't see how can a soft sleeves scratch your Cd.  How's that possible?

By contrast, I have hundreds of music Cd, and the scratch always occur when you try to snap that hole in the center of the jewel case, you finger slip, and the hole became off-center, then slide to one side, and the embossed spot at the center of your jewel case scratch along the bottom of your disc.

As well, jewel case sucks up way too much space if you have 200+ DVD.   There is no room and no comparison vs. a binder that fits 200.  I am just surprise those sleeves costs that much.

I tried Staples, Office Depot as well, same thing.  Look like the brown color CD case at Walmart is the best price w/ very soft leather on the outside.

It is possible. No matter how soft the material is, when there is surface to surface contact, there will be scratches. If you're utterly concerned about scratching, then go with "SoftSleeve" CD holders. While it's still sleeve type, it's one of the better sleeves I've used and the potential for scratches (still there) isn't as bad as some of the Case Logic holders... In fact, I suspect some of these Case Logic sleeves doubles as a fine Sandpaper in a pinch.

Again, if portability isn't that much of a concern, use the CD-R cake holder thingy. Works nicely and is about the most compact things to house them. biggrin.gif