Close to buying the NH1, a few questions linger...

Rate this topic

BenJammin

I am very close to buying the NH1, but two questions linger:

1) Why doesn't this thing have an optical output? I notice a difference when playing CD's through my digital receiver with optical toslink vs. analog, and I know that the iRiver HD based players sport optical outputs. This seems like a big downer to me.

2) I have read reviews here of the NH1 that firmly state the sound quality (when playing uncompressed audio) beats the pants off of the iPod (I guess due in large part to its superior digital amplifier?).

That said, are there any alternatives to the NH1 that offer superior sound, either in formats (96/24) or their electronics/amplification? And if so, what are they?

3) Am I correct in understanding that the NH1 can play 8 hours of uncompressed CD quality audio on one 1GB HiMD disc?

4) Back to the sound quality issue, I am coming from a Sharp MT-77 (better known in the States as the MT-877). I love its sound, so how does the NH1 stack up? I remember at the time the competing product from Sony did not match the MT-77 in terms of suond. Has that improved? And is there any known roadmap for a Sharp HiMD unit?

Thanks for any help on these questions.

Probably more like 3-6 months. I'm not aware of any portable audio devices that play/record 96kHz audio in something pocket sized. One of Creative's 'portable' units was toubted as having great audio, but it's a tank compared to the NH1. I've listened to the NH1 and the NH700 with the same music and the hi-def amp in the NH1 is definitely superior to the 700. I don't have any experience with Sharp units so I can't comment. Perhaps you can find a store that has a demo unit you can play with?

It could take even longer, if something happens on the way to the production line...

However, coming back to your first questions:

1: No portable MD has optical out, except the very first one from 1992 and some professional recorders (HHB).

Most possible reason: Power consumption.

2: Very possible. Something else could also be the reason: MD-players are usually constructed with sound in mind, not computer related capabilities. Remember, Sony started life with sound recording devices, they pioneered the use of tape recorders in schools...

3: You are not correct, uncompressed it is only 95 minutes,

which is no wonder, as you need 600MByte for one hour of uncompressed sound.

To get 8 hours, you use Hi-SP, which is a compression, but the sound quality is so good, you need good ears and expensive equipment to hear any difference.

My ears are at the limit here, I cannot reliably point out Hi-SP from CD in a direct comparison.

4: I don't know about the MT77, but some here point to the N10 as the one, that is a disappointment. The NH1 is reportedly much better...

I am very close to buying the NH1, but two questions linger:

1) Why doesn't this thing have an optical output? I notice a difference when playing CD's through my digital receiver with optical toslink vs. analog, and I know that the iRiver HD based players sport optical outputs. This seems like a big downer to me.

it doesn't make sense to have optical output, as you could have direct the original input to the MD directly to whatever source it is.

The reason there will never been any optical output is due to copyright issue of the digital source.

3: You are not correct, uncompressed it is only 95 minutes,

which is no wonder, as you need 600MByte for one hour of uncompressed sound.

To get 8 hours, you use Hi-SP, which is a compression, but the sound quality is so good, you need good ears and expensive equipment to hear any difference.

My ears are at the limit here, I cannot reliably point out Hi-SP from CD in a direct comparison.

Hi-SP is darned good. If you want to hear for yourself download sonicstage 2.x from sony, pop in a CD and transfer it using ATRAC3plus 256 mode.

You can get SonicStage right from Sony's Connect website:

http://www.connect.com

It probably just isn't a very popular feature, plus takes up extra space and costs too more to produce.

I have an N10 and it comes with optical out, the line-in is a combo plug with an optical sensor in the back. I have an older R70, and it has one too. They arent Hi-MD though.

It probably just isn't a very popular feature, plus takes up extra space and costs too more to produce.

I have an N10 and it comes with optical out, the line-in is a combo plug with an optical sensor in the back. I have an older R70, and it has one too. They arent Hi-MD though.

I don't think MZ-N10 comes with optical out. Just optical input.