Entering Service Mode On A Hi-MD Player

I sent my error ee unit to Sony Service an they promised to fix it under warranty.

:D

So I am happy.

edit: Well done Sony.

So try it, if you crashed your system, maybe your service is as friendly as mine. (My reason was: while operating SonicStage the error occured.)

Edited by RCJ

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi there my name is Scott and i am from the netherlands a few months ago i bought a sony mznh600 now there is some stupid a**hole in europe who thought my ears needed protection

The point is how do i get the restriction of my mznh600 because i dont really undertand al the nummbers and figures that are posted here or what i am supposed to do i can get in service mode but from there i dont now wich line i should configure this site i found http://aoix.free.fr/himd/service_mode_mz-nh600.txt

Many thanks

Scott

Hi there my name is Scott and i am from the netherlands a few months ago i bought a sony mznh600 now there is some stupid a**hole in europe who thought my ears needed protection

The point is how do i get the restriction of my mznh600 because i dont really undertand al the nummbers and figures that are posted here or what i am supposed to do i can get in service mode but from there i dont now wich line i should configure this site i found http://aoix.free.fr/himd/service_mode_mz-nh600.txt

Many thanks

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all!

I'm a lazy, dormant member (no Beavis and Butthead jokes yet please... :rolleyes: ) who has been analysing these units since inception and finally taken advantage of Minidisc Australia's great sale prices - though they lied to me about the bonus CD in the bundle being sealed in the pack and un-choosable - was lying in the top of the box seperate when I received the unit :angry:

Anyway you guys have been working on this hack like POW's - though happy one's! Very impressed, just hope you can find a way to save the settings!

Does anyone know if the missing "line out" on the NH700 from the NH900 is a hack or a hardware issue - that's my one complaint with having bought the cheaper model, sounds preeeetty ordinary wired through my amp at home, have to turn it up reeeaaalll loud to get equivalent volume to other components and get heaps of distortion (even at low volume on unit) when I tried it through the turntable input...

Sorry if I'm in the wrong forum, not had a lot of luck filtering out results in the search feature :huh:

Cheers!

Jon.

PS how about an online petition for a Hi-MD Recorder Deck - with the country of each person voting, so Sony (or other licencee) can see how many would buy it and distribution breakdown??

if you're asking about the volume hack... I don't think australian units suffer from the restriction...but anyway, we did manage to save the changes... the complete hack is described if you follow the 'uncapped thanks to MDCF'-link in my signature

if you're asking about the volume hack... I don't think australian units suffer from the restriction...but anyway, we did manage to save the changes... the complete hack is described if you follow the 'uncapped thanks to MDCF'-link in my signature

As far as I understand the volume is unrestricted in Australia - goes up to 30. The limitation I was asking about is that with the NH1 and NH900 the headphone socket doubles as a 'line out' if you run a lead to hi-fi equipment, providing a higher 'line level' signal.

How it knows whether a headphone or a connecting cable is plugged in I don't know...But I'd like to connect the unit to my stereo (as no seperate deck is available :angry: ) and I thought maybe it was just a setting. I saw in the service mode listings that have been detailed that menu number 900 lists something about line out, so I was just curious.

Cheers, J

^ Yes the NH1 and NH900 have a Line-Out mode which is in the standard menu options. Not a true line-out but equivalent to switching off the eq and maxing the volume. It is up to the user to change the mode to line-out before connecting to a stereo.

However the unit if it detects a remote-control plugged in will automatically revert to Headphone mode. In fact Line-Out mode cannot be enabled if a remote is connected to the unit.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I haven't seen anyone mention the MZ-M100, and I've noticed the service manual isn't available here, so I took the liberty to order one. Should be here within a week.

I just used the 800 number in this forum, and the total cost is only $11.53 after taxes and shipping.

So... if anyone else was wondering about this HiMD unit, we'll soon have some of the answers.

I inquired if there was a document that described the service mode and the representitive told me that this book describes a test mode, but wasn't sure if that was what I was looking for... *shrug*

***EDIT***

I can't seem to figure out where I'm supposed to upload the service manual to? I scanned it to a PDF (including all of the schematic sheets).. comes out to about 20MB. Definitely high enough res to print back out. I'd like to share it, but... where?

Edited by kargath

I can't seem to figure out where I'm supposed to upload the service manual to? I scanned it to a PDF (including all of the schematic sheets).. comes out to about 20MB. Definitely high enough res to print back out. I'd like to share it, but... where?

Contact one of the forum mods or the admin! :lol:

• 2 months later...

Did anyone know the original values of mz-rh910....?

I see on my display...Error ee...((((

To fix ERROR EE.

Enter into the Service mode

if key are assigned randomly, connect remote, locate stop button on main unit, set hold to on position on main unit, while holding stop on the main unit press on the remote >> >> << << >> << >> << GP- GP-. Release all keys.

Go to 1931 Adj Flg and set it to FF, than press pause key.

Go to 2111 Pwr Off CC and press pause or turn off the power manually by removing battery.

However you may have to perform some adjustments if player works unstabile (reading\recording takes a lot of time than ordinary).

In this case you should set 1931 AdjFlg to 00 pause.

Insert 60/74/80 min MD (if disc contains some recordings they will be destroyed!)

Go to the 9224 MD1P&R CC press pause, unit will perform adjustment. Wait until MD1 OK is displayed.

Than set the 1931 Adj Flg to FF, than press pause key. Turn off the power.

I don't know how to adjust 1Gb Hi-MD section because i haven't 1 Gb disc yet.

My unit is RH710.

I hope that menu items is similar to rh10\rh910

There is only two unhappy, but fixable situations:

Reassigned keys -> you can solder test mode land on maim pcb. you are in test mode.

Unit fails to power on or there is a serious trouble on entering SM due to change hardware menu items -> you should short SCK and XHOLD pins of EEPROM and turn on the power, ERROR EE will be displayed, enter test mode un short sck xhold bridge and correct settings or clear nv memory and do that i had described previously on how to fix error ee.

(from Russia, Moscow city)

Good luck.

Regrads.

You can't kill player trough service mode. You always have way back.

Sorry for my english.

Edited by Raikmann

• 3 months later...

I, too, am now wondering if anyone's been able to get in to service mode on the MZ-NH1.

I'd like to hack my Chinese NH1 specifically to "transform" it into a North American/Australian model to eliminate the nonsensical restrictions on no./variety of titling characters that the Asian/African models are purported to have. The net cafes here don't seem to have either MSN or Adobe Acrobat installed(?!), so I can't read the service manuals. But if anyone can be so kind as to furnish me (and others) with a step-by-step procedure on how to do such a thing (the lists of values just don't make much sense to me in and of themselves) that would be just peachy!

A question, while on this topic: if I title a Hi-MD disc/tracks using North American character sizes on, say, my RH910, and then play it on my Chinese NH1, will it display? Or is my NH1 limited to just displaying such titles and not editing? Ideas?

peace

WaywardTraveller

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought an MZ-RH1 in Europe, and it's definitely quieter than my NHF-900 (which I got in the US). Has anyone been able to confirm if there's a European volume restriction on these units (in the European market, needless to say)? If so, has anyone found how to enter service mode or another means of removing the restriction? I had a quick look through the forums, couldn't see anything (my apologies if this is already covered somewhere)...

Eventually found the answer to my own question on a French MD site (http://www.mdfr.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=15862&st=15), and the hack does indeed seem to boost volume on my European MZ-RH1 (at least on a cursory listen). In case anyone else (like me) had difficulty finding the hack, here's a translation (the hack apparently removes the European restriction to 4.5mW, to obtain the full 5mW):

A) Turn the unit On (I pressed Play then Stop to 'wake it up')

B) Slide the hold switch to on

C) Whilst holding the 'T MARK' button down, enter the following key sequence: FF FF FR FR FF FR FF FR Pause Pause. This is the toughest bit, the T Mark button and 'Pause' being very close together (and small) on the MZ-RH1, so if you have fat fingers, you may need several attempts (as I did). Once successful, the display should now flash up the firmware version and become all animated (frightening!).

Manual mode

1.) Press the 'Vol +' key to enter manual mode

2.) Press/slide the 'FF' button five times until the number 0113 is displayed.

3.) Press 'Vol + '/'Vol -' to enter the value 01 (US/CANADA), the original value being 81 (Europe), 05 (Hong Kong/Taiwan), or 03 (Japan). Note that only the last two digits change - the rest seem to follow some random, constantly-changing sequence. Also, getting from '81' at the end to '01' takes a lot of scrolling.

4.) Press 'Pause' to apply the change

5.) Press 'Stop' four times

6.) Turn the unit off (I removed the battery)

My unit seems none the worse for wear, but I confess that seeing all that uncustomary animated activity on the display on my brand-new (expensive!) toy was quite worrying!

• 1 month later...

Hey it was nice to fix the 6band EQ, but realy what do the rest of those settings do?

For example can I change the "resistance" of the output? It works ok in headphones but when you connect it in a linein, well it works not that well.

Anyway the main question is. Does anyone know what all those settings do?

Thanks KURISU

• 1 month later...

Today I suddenly gut this button assignment problem with my MZ-RH910.

After a mechanical shock the buttons (on the MiniDisc player as well as with remote control) have wrong functionalities.

So the FF button now has REW function and the REW button has T-MARK function.

This is quite a problem.

I manage to enter service mode and i also can use the KEY CHECK MODE there, which confirms the wrong functionalities.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Is there any setting in service mode to do this?

Is a reset in service mode an option (what exactly does it?)?

please help me

I wonder if you could just reprogram the firmware or make your own, providing you know how and have the resources. Most likely you can then have different frequencies for the equalizer, perhaps not just 6 frequencies? I'm sure it can be done just need the will and manpower. You could change everything. Sort of like how there are homebrew programs for PSP, well in that sense at least.

would like the modify the EQ frequencies (replace the 100hz with 60hz) is that possible?

just search these forums for "greenmachine" and "equalizer" and you'll know how this sony-error can be defeated

just search these forums for "greenmachine" and "equalizer" and you'll know how this sony-error can be defeated

Yes i've tried lowering all the frequencies, although the freq. response graph it displays a stronger bass placement, audibly, the bass just isn't present enough. I've had better success by raising the 100Hz frequency and lowering the 250Hz one notch to give tighter bass. (+3, -1, 0, 0, +1, +1 [Tested using: Audio Technica CM7Ti / Alessandro MS-2] )

If it were possible to increase a 60Hz freq through the equaliser the bass quantity should be improved significantly (It doesn't do much justice for sound quality but it does make the music more enjoyable as 60Hz gives more of a BOOM and a deeper bass sensation).

You'll notice that the famous MP3 player companies (excluding ipod) do include a 60-70hz region in their 5-band equalisers, Meizu M6 incorporates a 60Hz in their 10-band EQ, iaudio uses 63Hz in their 5-band.

So that's why a low-mid bass frequency is needed in Sony's 6-band EQ =P

when I bought myself some Sennheiser PX100's I even returned to a flat eq as the greenmachine setting provided too much bass... I guess it mostly depends on taste: I prefer to listen to music and not something boom-booming in my ears :P

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...