January 5th News Note.

Christopher

Hi-MD blanks finally rolling out: Minidisco reports they are stocking 3000 Hi-MD blanks in prices ranging from $6 to $7.

Does this mean the shortage is over? What if this year is when Hi-MD's are commonplace? Could it bring greater success? Is it possible with the second generation that with the upcoming news things could really grow further

Or are we doomed to our demise from Sonicstage..or the write speeds? In your thoughts, summarize the birthyear of Hi-MD, and what you think could occur in '05.

I noticed Bestbuy.com has the HiMD discs as well. 7.99 is a bit steep, but if they carried them in the stores that would'nt be too bad. HiMD does not have a chance if retailers will not carry the products mad.gif

$6.99 at radioshack. Not sure if there in stores yet but you can order them (with free shipping if you order in-store).

JandR.com carries them for $6.99. I ordered a few from them before Christmas, when they were offering free shipping (and no tax for me...)

My local Fry's has plenty of them on the shelf for $6.99.

• 2 weeks later...

If you can get through all the bright lights and colors to do a search for "hmd1g" at www.x10.com , you will be rewarded with blanks at $4.99 apiece.

I got 12 for myself and a friend (they arrived last week, no worries) and I received free shipping because the order was over $50. Unfortunately they are out of stock right now, but once they get more there's no better price to be found anywhere. We'll be back for more . . .

NOTE: be prepared to use a diversionary email address. The email address you provide for order confirmation will start to receive X10 newsletters on the order of 2 or 3 per day. And of course, they make it difficult to unsubscribe. (for example, I use hotmail as my "bento" box [contains all the spam and other stuff I don't need] and reserve gmail for everything else)

I do not expect to see anywhere where I live selling HiMD blanks. The local RadioShack might, but I'm not holding my breath, and they'll probably sell them for $15CAD if they ever do bring them in.

MD blanks can be found in most department stores here, but a 2-pack costs $10-$13CAD. I don't know about you, but I'm never going to pay over $5 each for MD80s.

But then, this is what I get for living in a backwater hellhole.

Hey, I bought one today (in Prague : ) ) and it came in a similar case or box as for the old tried&tested compact cassette! , to big of course for the disk itself but it seems to me Sony wants to promote HiMD as the new replacement of compact cassettes, which it actually is for me, cause minidisc is just as versitile (? fck the spelling) and easy as cassette's are / were ; )

Paul

I do not expect to see anywhere where I live selling HiMD blanks.  The local RadioShack might, but I'm not holding my breath, and they'll probably sell them for $15CAD if they ever do bring them in.

MD blanks can be found in most department stores here, but a 2-pack costs $10-$13CAD.  I don't know about you, but I'm never going to pay over $5 each for MD80s. 

But then, this is what I get for living in a backwater hellhole.

where abouts are you at there Dex? im in ontario, close enought to toronto as i want to be, and there are HiMD blanks everywhere i look. even a local Zellers is selling them now

where abouts are you at there Dex? im in ontario, close enought to toronto as i want to be, and there are HiMD blanks everywhere i look. even a local Zellers is selling them now

Southwestern Manitoba.

There is only one retailer here that carries MD or HiMD equipment [though several can order them, if you wish to pay 50-75% more than you would purchasing online]. That would be RadioShack, selling only the 600D, and their price is ludicrous to say the least.

Zellers is one of the three common retail places I've seen blank MD80s [Zellers, Wal-Mart, and RadioShack]; they sell there for $12.99CAD per 2-pack. RadioShack is more expensive by a dollar or something. I have often wondered what their reaction would be if I told them that I can buy 10 MD80s [sony brand] for $23.50 plus shipping from minidisc canada. My assumption is that they could not possibly care less about it.

RadioShack might eventually get the HiMD blanks in, but I expect they'll be pricing them in the $15CAD range at an absolute minimum. Anywhere else around here that would actually stock them will likely be about the same, within at most a dollar. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Zellers trying to sell them for $17.99 or something, if they ever got them in.

I have basically resigned myself to using MD80s. My father just brought 20 back from the US for me a month ago [$7USD / 5-pack], so I have a tiny collection of 32 discs plus the 1GB disc that came with my recorder. Given the current prices both online and off, 1GB media still costs significantly more per megabyte than MD80s do, which makes buying them completely pointless in my view - it's just a waste of money. Sure, I have to carry around three times as many discs, but I also spend less on them.