Singer Ignoramus

Rate this topic

vnicolosi

Greetings, Opera singer here. Read a lot of these forums and actually have gotten quite far thanks to all of your help. Bought the MD recorder and microphone. Recorded live with my MD a concert performace. Downloaded Audacity, used the mike jacks to record the track onto my PC (Although I can't seem to save it for some reason) and now no matter what I do I can't seem to get the darn thing onto a CD. What am I missing? How do I save it? I have read some things on these posts about converting it to a WAV file?? What the heck does that mean? Will it take another program download? Will I ever see the finish line?? Help! They didn't teach me anything about this stuff in music school!! ohmy.gif

What do I do next to get the darn thing onto a CD?

you cant save what you record in audacity?

well theres your first problem... youre going to have to save the music to your harddrive before you can burn it to a CD

what happens when you try to save?

once you do get it saved, and i recommend you record and save as a 16 bit 44100hz .wav file (which is probably the default in audacity), the easiest way to get it to a CD might be to use iTunes

you can get it for free here:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

im not even computer or audio illiterate and i used it for a long time because its so incredibly simple and easy.... it takes care of all the converting and techincal stuff for you, you just choose the music and tell it to burn a CD, and it does just that

ive never seen easier cd burning software

If you're recording with a NetMD, you can automate the process--record each track as a separate .wav file, ready to burn onto CD--with WinNetMD.

http://winnmd.net/

It's about $20 and well worth the money, in time saved, if you already have the tracks separated on the MD.

Use line-in to record if you have a line-in jack on your computer to record with--you might not, just a mic jack.

If you're sticking with Audacity, here's some help.

Make sure Audacity can hear the mic. In Windows XP, Start--Settings--Control Panel--Sounds and Audio Devices--Audio--Sound Recordng--and make sure mic (or line-in, whatever you're using) is checked as the input.

When you record in Audacity, you should see a nice wiggly waveform from the time you hit the record button to the time you press Stop.

Audacity's Save is a little confusing. After you push the Stop button in Audacity, click on File and then Export Project As: ---your choice, .wav or .mp3 (WAV files will be bigger but sound better). Then use a burning program like iTunes or Feurio to put the .wav files on CD.

http://www.feurio.com/English/index.shtml

This is a very long-winded explanation. Once you've done it the first time, it will seem simple.