Sharp MD-DS8 Pictorial/Mini-review

Rate this topic

My grey Sharp MD-DS8 has arrived.

user posted image

Funny thing, though - I was able to check the mail right before I went to work and there it was in all it's duct-taped box glory. I just had to take it to work with me, but unfortunately I was only able to listen to it in short five minute periods in-between calls at work! It was truly torture, but that didn't stop me from sharing it with everyone, and I received alot of compliments on the sound. When I got home, I listened to Radiohead's Amnesiac and quickly picked up on what I'd been missing all this time.

The sound is very impressive, and definitely leaps and bounds over my Sony MZ-E505. I was very skeptical about the lack of equalizer, but the dolby presets are quite solid and don't feel like a gimmick. The soundstage, even with a pair of D22 eggo's is really amazing, with treble that won't leave you feeling like someone was scratching a chalkboard in your presence incessantly [i don't like the equalizer on the E505 after obtaining this. tongue.gif]. The bass is solid, fluid, and very clear whilst I was listening to Sublime's 40oz to Freedom album. A musican myself, I found it alot easier to pick up on what notes/etc were being played on all levels of the spectrum [bass, guitar, etc] with the DS8. I want to say more, but there's only so much you can say when you're describing something of this caliber.

The remote is odd, backwards indeed but the two "screensavers" save it; I love the fish and the boat! ;-) It all functions well once you get used to it, IMHO.

The size still blows my mind, and I guess it never really hit me how small the unit actually is until I actually had it in my hand. I realize now that this is probably as small as I'd like to go with a MD unit, and weight is important to me as "lightness" in a player constitutes weakness in my mind. The DS8 is small, yet carries a weight that seemingly assures you that it's not fragile. I'm also very glad I got the grey color, as the brushed finish is gorgeous.

Additionally, I like the blue light on the unit and how it flashes, a simple addition but neat nonetheless. Too bad I'll never see what the LP4 flashing sequence looks like! tongue.gif

Now I need some Audio-Technica ATH-A900 Art Headphones and I'll be set!

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Enough of the talk, here's some other pictures to tempt you [all pictures taken (including avatar) with Nikon CoolPix 5700]:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Back to listening! :q

• 1 year later...