'cannot Use This Disc As An Audio Disc...'

Rate this topic

liquidcow

Hi, I've got an NZ-NHF800 and I'm having a huge problem. SonicStage always coms up with

'Cannot use this disc as an audio disc because it was initialized by a program other than SonicStage.

Click Properties on the Device/Media panel and initialize the disc to use it as an audio disc.'

This is the case with both my 1Gb discs, it happens even if I initialize the discs or foormat them again, however there are no problems on other computers. I don't know if this is a driver problem or a software problem or what but it's so frustrating and I have no idea what's wrong. I've tried re-installing everything but it didn't work.

Edited by liquidcow

I'm using Windows XP professional and SonicStage 2.1. I updated SoncStage from 2.0-something-or-other that came with the player, but that didn't help.

I tried formatting the disc through the player itself, didn't help. Remember it works fine on other computers.

I'll try updating the USB drivers, but even so it was working fine before, something's gone wrong but I don't know what.

Hey,

I just purchased an MZ-NH600D and I'm having the same message come up in Sonic Stage, "cannot use this disc as an audio disc..." I've also found that it works on other computers, which is really annoying!If you find a solution to this problem could you please let me know, because i haven't been able to use the MD player yet because of this problem.

Thanks,

Jon

i'm currently experiencing a similar problem since upgrading to SS 2.3 (although if you read my last post on the problems i had before upgrading, it's not so bad) but it's only every now and then. i've found if i open SonicStage, then put the disc in it works fine. this could just be me my computer though.

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem with SonicStage 2.1 and MD Simple Burner. It seems like there is some conflict with using System Restore in Windows XP (and I think Windows ME has it too) and Sony's software. So if you have recently performed a System Restore in Windows, then that's probably the source of your problem. To fix things, you have to run Ojbsir.exe (this should be in your SonicStage folder under Program Files). Part of this process involves un-installing and re-installing the Sony software (you'll be prompted after running Objsir.exe). This seems to fix whatever kind of crap that gets broken after you Sytem Restore. It worked for me anyways. Awesomely enough, there seems to be no mention of this conflict or ways of repairing it in the Manual that came with my Hi-MD recorder.

I'm using Windows XP professional and SonicStage 2.1.  I updated SoncStage from 2.0-something-or-other that came with the player, but that didn't help.

I tried formatting the disc through the player itself, didn't help.  Remember it works fine on other computers.

I'll try updating the USB drivers, but even so it was working fine before, something's gone wrong but I don't know what.

This solution usually works

1) Get into Windows with your minidisc recorder attached as a DATA device with the disc in it.

2) Format the Disc with Windows YES FORMAT WITH WINDOWS.

3) REMOVE and RE-PLUGIN the minidisc recorder

4) Start SS and RE-INITIALIZE the disc in HI-MD format or whatever you use

5) Should work again.

Sometimes you might be able to re-initialize the disc in the minidisc unit but it doesn't always work.

The method above usually works 100% of the time. --Re-formatting the disc with Windows clears out the entire file system so whatever odd "hidden" info the ATRAC system has left preventing your disc from being used will be cleared out.

There's only one proviso with this the DRM BS will probably stop you re-loading music from SS's library back to this minidisc as it will say Music originated from a"Different Disc" or Different Computer --however you can load music FROM the disc TO the computer or use Simple Burner.

Cheers

-K

Edited by 1kyle

I also get this sometimes but it seems to be if i connect the my 900 and then open SS2.3. it happens because XP is also opening the drive as a data disc so it sort of gets there first. if i close SS2.3 down and make sure Xp isnt using the MD then open SS2.3 again its all ok.

This might not be of much help but its what works for me.

Dave.