Tempted to buy a HDD player

Rate this question

veezhun

Question

I am very tempted to pick up a minimum 20gb player.. Need to ask a few questions:

1. How easy is it to forward and rewind really fast within songs in sony HDD players??

2. Is it wrong on my part to consider a 20Gb ipod(colour screen now)?

I was looking at a flash device but some quick profits on the stock market have increased my budget significantly :)

What other things should i be looking at??

Edited by veezhun

5 answers to this question

Congratulations,

I have a Sony HD5H (30gb) model, and in answer to your first question, the fast forward/rewind works just like a the minidisc. You can hear the music as you do it. Not sure about using it on long tracks though as I haven't got any loaded on the player.

As to question two - well I suppose the answer has to be no. With the following qualification:

I was seduced by iTunes and the third generation ipod while waiting for the first generation HiMd players to be released. I tried iTunes on my laptop and was blown away by the sound quality vs. the file size. Unfortunately the player did not have the same sound quality! (There's plenty about this on the net) But I will say I still use the ipod for listening to audio books.

Any other things you should be looking at well what format is your music in mp3 or atrac or something else. Bear in mind that Sony hard disc players are best using the atrac format. This of course will lock you into using Sony players in the future. I have nearly 400 albums in atrac format hence my user name! Sony players can utilise mp3 now, but there have been questions raised about sound quality and other problems!

Sorry for being such along post! I hope it helps!

Dave

Like Sonyslave stated, the FF/RW functions within a song are the same as w/a minidisc player... they may even cue up a bit faster than the MD.

I've owned a 4th Gen iPod (20GB), and wouldn't buy another one ever... strictly because of sound quality. Compared to the HD5 or a Hi-MD player, the iPod sounds like cans on a string. I'll admit the color screen is flashy, but color screens kill battery life, and the iPod already can't compare to the HD5 in that respect.

My vote would be for the HD5.

~~~~~~~~

I am very tempted to pick up a minimum 20gb player.. Need to ask a few questions:

1. How easy is it to forward and rewind really fast within songs in sony HDD players??

2. Is it wrong on my part to consider a 20Gb ipod(colour screen now)?

I was looking at a flash device but some quick profits on the stock market have increased my budget significantly :)

What other things should i be looking at??

sonyslave has made an excellent point - if you already have an ATRAC library, why buy an iPod and use another application for loading music? Having two applications, and therefore two libraries is redundant. One of the great merits of Sonicstage is that it can facilitate numerous Sony devices, making life with your RH10, N10 and hypothetical NW-HD# blissful.

nice points.. but i dont have a huge atrac library..most are mp3's or wav files.. i didnt know about lossless compression until sometime ago...

the thing is the music i have cannot be bought.. some recordings are from 1922... i have made cd backups of course.. but i was looking to store all my music on a HDD device for quick listening and archival...

read about this device called the Iaudio X5L... 35 hour battery life, no need for software and no id3 tagging.. perfect for me as i have organized my music in folders...

any views on that as compared to a HD5??

Ok, sorry I don't know about the Iaudio X5L from personal experience, although I have seen some good reviews.

On the first point you raised in your last post, I would not recomend using a HD player for listening to and archiving music. HD players are subject to hard-drive failures, especially if dropped! Once that happens you have lost your music at worst and at best you will have to rerip your CDs.

I keep 3 copies of my compressed music, one on my players, one on my computer and a back up on a removable drive, just in case!

Cheers Dave