Apple Iproduct

Rate this topic

Christopher

I think I am going to convince my family to get an Mac Mini. Why?

My family doesn't need to do anything except check e-mail, the internet and MSN messenger, and from time to time, upload some pictures from the digital camera. That's far more powerful than my current Win98 PC with 333mhz.

iLife '05 will be perfect for them.

I think Apple has stepped into something very smart. For 700 canadian dollars, I don't think a single PC in the entire world would work better for the circumstances.

Zombie, 700CAD is about $575 USD. Believe me, I could build you something just as functional. The only thing the Mac Mini has going for it is size and I suppose the software, but I'd have to use it first before I could really assume anything. OS X is overrated IMHO, espesically compared to the stability of OS 9.

Mac Mini = the beginning of the end of computers in clunky cases.

Maybe this is the first little step in moving towards a world of ono-sendai decks and sandbenders.

Thanks to USB, 1394, and wireless shite, we're becoming more peripheralised by the minute.

Everything is optional.

Heh.

edit:

Note that this isn't saying that the Mac mini is a powerful computer by today's standards. It is, however, well-purposed for simple, single-task use in an "everyday" household environment. Check your email. Watch a DVD. Fill in your appointment calendar. Browse MDCF. One thing at a time, generally.

It's a design predicated on compromise. The idea is to make it small and relatively cheap, and highly functional in terms of single-task use. Make it an appliance. Make it ubiquitous. A box you plug the rest of the stuff into; monitor, speakers, keyboard, pointing device, hard disc, television, goggles. You can bundle it up in your knapsack with a power cable and know that you can plug someone else' keyboard, mouse, CRT, etc. into at the other end.

Iti's the transient's computer. Heh.

Oh My! Mac Mini is so sexy, hopefully to convince my folks to get one, then, this household would be PC free!!

Mac Mini = the beginning of the end of computers in clunky cases.

errrr no, ShuttlePC started the trend, but Apple will own!!

Note that this isn't saying that the Mac mini is a powerful computer by today's standards.  It is, however, well-purposed for simple, single-task use in an "everyday" household environment.  Check your email.  Watch a DVD.  Fill in your appointment calendar.  Browse MDCF.  One thing at a time, generally.

It's a design predicated on compromise.  The idea is to make it small and relatively cheap, and highly functional in terms of single-task use.  Make it an appliance.  Make it ubiquitous.  A box you plug the rest of the stuff into; monitor, speakers, keyboard, pointing device, hard disc, television, goggles.  You can bundle it up in your knapsack with a power cable and know that you can plug someone else' keyboard, mouse, CRT, etc. into at the other end. 

Iti's the transient's computer.  Heh.

same thing can be said on the ShuttlePC as well. some models of ShuttlePC aren't much bigger than mac mini and they have carrying case, and it's transportable.

iPod Shuffle = ill advised.

If it really only plays random, like some rumors have suggested, it is REALLY stupid.

The iPod Shuffle can also play albums in order. I dunno about playlists though.

Apple should've put a cheap LCD on the thing. I'm sure they could've asked Sony where to find them., Sony certainly seems to know where they are.

I was entralled with the Mac Mini until I priced it out With WiFi for networking, Bluetooth for the wireless KB and mouse, the faster CPU, bigger HD (80gb is still small by today's standards), and more RAM, that thing is too expensive. I'll build a Shuttle thank you very much.

i've been wanting a sandbenders for a long time & gizmodo & the gawker family really nailed that iProduct. they are a pleasure to read.

for the price you could get a nice little shuttle or an outdated mini ITX that would still cane this little marketing tool. also what the hell is iLife '05? still like the rest of the apple family it's a pretty little sucker. anyone seen a price list for components yet?

P.S. i'm on smeone else's G4 running OSX & i just don't know why anyone would want to use it. i find it slow, unintuative & dificult to navigate, it's also a little buggy, but it's not a well looked after computer so it may be that

in fact i like the ideia of iPod Shuffle. It should be much more easy to fill it up, comparing to an Hi-MD. In fact, i am not using my Hi-MD much, just because of the time that i have to spent, in those conversions to atrac3/atrac3plus and the pain that is using SonicStage...

I want a simple kind of life tongue.gif

Hack your iPod to iPod Shuffle:

user posted image

Use white post-its for Maximum effect. Remember to limit your library to 1GB, no AL or AIFF files.

And get a necklace holder for it, pimp to the world that You've already fallen for the Shuffle.

Edited by Damage

--> iLife '05 includes new versions of iPhoto, iMovie, iTunes, iDVD and GarageBand.

Further info.

I'm more excited about Shuttle's Media Center PC biggrin.gif

Certainly Apple has some great software going for it. However, I've used a Mac with OS X and 256MB of RAM. It is not an understatement that you will be doing one thing at a time. OS X NEEDS more RAM than that.

Edited by Rumz

Rumz, I'm glad you said that. I rarely see anyone actually say/write it, but it is indeed true. If you do not have 512mb's or more with OS X, you might as well forget about it.

Yeah. I mean maybe OS 9...

Imagine how painful it is to use a dual 1.8ghz G5 with 256mb of RAM. Painful I tell you! The sad thing is a lot of people will get iMacs / Mac Minis with 256mb of RAM and probably have no idea what a bottleneck it is on their computer.

Edited by Rumz

I love the iMac Mini.

One can certainly argue that a PC can be had at the same price with better features, but can a Mac? Probably not. tongue.gif

It's an excellent price for a Mac, and with my educational discount, the price is only $479. happy.gif (And it's so compact! tongue.gif)

Also regarding RAM, in my area I know that most Apple resellers will sell you RAM that is decently priced. A few of my school mates own Macs, and that's what they've done in the past.

Fine. When I pass you blazingly fast on the information superhighway on my super pimped-out system that I built with those very same 500 dollars, don't say anything. tongue.gif

Your very "fast" UGLY computer. tongue.gif

I doubt a lot of RAM will be needed for most users of the Mac Mini, but I think if I get my parents one I will suggest getting a 128 stick for good measure.

Mac Mini = not so bad, but seriously, I've used OS X and you need alot of ram if you multitask, which this thing lacks; furthermore, the ram is outdated [ddr333] and the graphics card is laughable. But hey, it's Apple.

Mac Mini = Home Theater PC. Designed to be small, very quiet, fit easily into the A/V cabinet of the living room and not look scary enough to frighten off the houseguests. laugh.gif

It's not for gaming, Chris. laugh.gif If you even COULD game on a Mac anyhow. Screw Marathon; it's just a crappy System Shock ripoff. biggrin.gif

ilife. ipod shuffle. ithink it sux. For that price you could get the very yummy Rio Nitrus, which has 1.5 GB of storage, and doubles as an external HDD. (small, yes, but  useful). 512 MB of storage and no LCD? Blasphemy.

Rio Nitrus is a microdrive player though and it can suffer a head crash from the type of active use that a flash player would get.

I do totally agree with you that the nitrus is like ten thousand times sexier than the stickpod. I'm shocked that apple made something ugly.

Mac Mini = Home Theater PC. Designed to be small, very quiet, fit easily into the A/V cabinet of the living room and not look scary enough to frighten off the houseguests.  laugh.gif

Without any DVR(Tivo) capabilities, it can't really be called a HT PC. A Mini Compybox, yes. Probably perfect for Strongbad's e-mailing habits and he to finally get something nicer, and nothing else. In that aspect, I think the WinXP Media Center (and there are really no alternatives in this matter, homebrew'd Linux programs aside and Macs awfully behind the curve in both hardware and software) does well in integrating DVR, Video, and Audio files.

I have a feeling there will be Mac Mini TV edition that'll charge $500 more and will have the Macultis calling it a revolutionary computer since Lisa itself.

Please remember that the Mac Mini was not intended as a set top box or HTPC. Apple is marketing this as a simple low powered PC for use as a Web surfing, email, light word processing machine. I think that the Mac Mini would excel in this space. There are many people out there who have low usage needs for a PC.

For those who need a more powerful PC to use for other purposes, the Mac Mini simply isn't for you.

Please remember that the Mac Mini was not intended as a set top box or HTPC. Apple is marketing this as a simple low powered PC for use as a Web surfing, email, light word processing machine. I think that the Mac Mini would excel in this space. There are many people out there who have low usage needs for a PC.

Right. And that is the point of the pointlesness of this system. If I spent 500 dollars on a low-powered Windows-based PC to be used for Web Surfing, Email, light word processing, and such, I'd be labeled an insane man.

Sorry, but for me, that just doesn't compute.

Right.  And that is the point of the pointlesness of this system. If I spent 500 dollars on a low-powered Windows-based PC  to be used for Web Surfing, Email, light word processing, and such, I'd be labeled an insane man.

Sorry, but for me,  that just doesn't compute.

Remember, this is a computer that will work almost flawlessly without pounds of extra software added in like ad-aware, Anti-Virus. Plus it will work with digital cameras without icky things like "Drivers" (which to people like my family have to do with limos rather than computers).

When I first got my iBook I almost cried when I realized that EVERYTHING worked right out of the box without flaw. Nothing displeased me what so ever, so I think Joe "idiot computer-user" will probably use the Mac Mini without a lot of hassle.

zombie most pcs do the same, it's just apple user paranoia. still if you want flawless interaction traded off against performance but with fantastic design, it'd fit the bill exactly. remeber you will have to buy a mac keybord for it or teach the family to remap, but that's only about C$45 or so. i'd like to see some more IRL pics

As a side note, the MacMini only comes with one, count 'em, one Slot for RAM, so upgrading the RAM will be an expensive proposition. And no matter what Jobs says, impresses, orders, or beckons you to believe, 256MB on a modern operating system makes baby Jebus cry. Remember that!

my XP system runs for 7-8 days sometimes without a shutdown. most of the crashes i get are video card related & very infrequent. it's not as ellegant as OSX but i prefer it. macs are simpler to intergrate for new users such as your family, particularly if you're a mac user to guide them.

but seriously a lot of mac users i know seem to have this whole all pcs are buggy & die alot thing going on that's not true.

but seriously a lot of mac users i know seem to have this whole all pcs are buggy & die alot thing going on that's not true.

After nearly a 3 year absence from my dreadful peecee experience my school forced me to use one in order to learn 3D Studio Max. Fair trade, 3DS Max kicks ass, at the expense of using windows, right? WRONG.

First day using it (literally first day), Im running 3DS, everything is going smooth.

Click>File>Exit>Save>Save As> *CRASH*

mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif