Simple Backup?

Rate this topic

applicationform

I'm worried about Sonic Stage trashing my recordings.

As my MZ-NH900 acts as a Removeable Disk when I plug it into my PC, am I correct in thinking I can back up a whole Hi-md disk to my computer. That way if a disk goes 'bellies up' when using Sonic Stage then I could just format the disk again and copy the original files back. Would that work? The handy thing would be that I could fit all my Hi-mds on one backup DVD.

Thanks in advance

Andrew

I'm worried about Sonic Stage trashing my recordings.

As my MZ-NH900 acts as a Removeable Disk when I plug it into my PC, am I correct in thinking I can back up a whole Hi-md disk to my computer.  That way if a disk goes 'bellies up' when using Sonic Stage then I could just format the disk again and copy the original files back.  Would that work?  The handy thing would be that I could fit all my Hi-mds on one backup DVD.

Thanks in advance

Andrew

I have tried to back up a HiMD audio disk and could not get it to work. I can see several files in the HiMD directory and it looks like it will copy but it is not recognized by the player afterwords. Since I have Windows Explorer set to show all files I suspect Sony does something with the names. If you could do what you want, you could clone the disks which is something Sony does not want you to be able to do

Thanks BobS.  That's quite disappointing.  When you tried to back up your disk did you do it by the drag and drop method?  I wonder if there is any comprehensive imaging software that might work?

This is not possible, imaging software on Unix or Windows will not make a working backup of a Hi-MD. Sony is doing something on the minidisc player itself that identifies discs as unique and is not accessible directly in Windows or Linux.