Live Recording Mic Input Needed

Rate this topic

Swngdude

I play in a small jazz band and would like to record us live, as to have something to practice off of. I was looking at getting an sony mz-nh1. I need a microphone input. Can I do this with an i pod? I like the idea of an ipod but need the mic input. Otherwise is the sony mz-nh1 a good choice for me or is there one you feel would be better. The quality of both the sonics and physical are important to me.

I play in a small jazz band and would like to record us live, as to have something to practice off of.  I was looking at getting an sony mz-nh1.  I need a microphone input.  Can I do this with an i pod?  I like the idea of an ipod but need the mic input.  Otherwise is the sony mz-nh1 a good choice for me or is there one you feel would be better.  The quality of both the sonics and physical are important to me.

I am a recent user of Hi-MD, I own a MZ-NH1 since two months ago. I'm not an expert of audio recording, but I'm here to share my experience with the MZ-NH1. Stay tuned, however, as there are many technically competent people on this forum that can advice you and maybe suggest different solutions.

I've bought a MZ-NH1 to record myself (I am a hobbist violinst), alone or together with other players. I've bought it because I know many professional musicians that use MD recorders, and I had listened to some recordings of them. The recording audio quality in my opinion is excellent - you can even record PCM with Hi-MD - you need a good mic, though. As far as I know, iPod does not have a mic in, while most MD recorders (like MZ-NH1) have it. Be aware that you will be able to fast-digitally transfer your recordings to a PC (not a Mac, as far as I know) only once, this is part of a silly policy by Sony to protect copyright, even if you own the copyright of what you play/record - anyway, you'll be always able to transfer the track in real time (even digitally through the USB, if your system allow doing that).

So, this is my non-technical point of view. The MZ-NH1 fullfills my needs: very good audio recording quality, reliable medium, very small size. A violin is a rather difficult instrument to record, and I got really good results with my MD recorder - again, a good mic is necessary as well. I am totally satisfied with my gear.

Swingdude, I'm certainly no expert here but it came down to the NH1 or the NH900 for me.

I chose the NH900, simply because you have the option of adding a AA battery if your rechargable runs low. I don't understand why this feature wouldn't be on the NH1.

From what everyone has told me there is no difference in the recording quality between these two models.

Swingdude, I'm certainly no expert here but it came down to the NH1 or the NH900 for me.

I chose the NH900, simply because you have the option of adding a AA battery if your rechargable runs low.  I don't understand why this feature wouldn't be on the NH1. 

From what everyone has told me there is no difference in the recording quality between these two models.

• 1 month later...

Yes, I love (LOVE) my NH900 for recording... hours and hours of recording time (Hi-SP) and hours and hours of battery life with a fully charged gumstick and a new duracell AA.

Way too many times I got burned with either disc capacity or (more often) battery life on my NetMD N707.

That's my two cents.

Well I have had my MZ-NH900 for over 1) month and I love it. It has exceeded my expectations. I have recorded using both the mic input and line level input and have had excellent results in both modes. I see the limitations as only me, the operator. I have been using it as a practice tool and to make simple demo CD's. Very pleased. The batterry capability has come in handy. There will always be some feature I would like to see (like a back light), however for the price I cannot bring myself anywhere near complaining. Highly recommend.

First of all the only products I do know of for live recording are the Md recorders and the expensive DELL DJ the iPod in all its glory doesn't (probably an issue of lack of ram)

But here's the pitch all sony Hi-MD units Record the "Same Quality"

If all you want to do is record a band go for the lowest model MZ-NH700 ("lowest" = least features nothing to do with quality) and then take the money you saved and buy a sensational Mic (especially if you are playing jazz) or better yet if you have a PA hook the MD into one of the outputs( IF YOU DO DECIDE TO DO THIS ASK ABOUT HOW TO FIRST)