Storing Files In Ss 2.3

Rate this topic

Weaves

Hello,

I am an old MD user, but new to SS. I had been using my MXD-D5C since about Jan-2001 ( purchased at a low price of $199 biggrin.gif ). I followed Kurisu's instructions and was able to install from 2.x (either 2.0 or 2.1) up to 2.3 with no problems. Kudo's to Kurisu cool.gif . Now I have the following questions:

1) I was thinking about storing my files on an external hard drive. I know i can change the folder in SS 2.3. Has anyone done this?

2) Are there any problems with SS 2.3 recognizing multiple USB devices at one time?

3) Is it possible for future versions of SoniceStage to improve over the current optical transfer? I know that using my optical output to any MD unit seems to provide better quality than SS 2.3 (per Dex). Then I can just enter the names using SS 2.3. This is easier than using the keyboard on the MXD-D5C.

Thanks

Weaves

Note: I may be investing in the 2nd gen HD-MD if there are good improvements (specifically in increasing storage space).

1) I was thinking about storing my files on an external hard drive.  I know i can change the folder in SS 2.3.  Has anyone done this? 

2) Are there any problems with SS 2.3 recognizing multiple USB devices at one time?

3)  Is it possible for future versions of SoniceStage to improve over the current optical transfer?  I know that using my optical output to any MD unit seems to provide better quality than SS 2.3 (per Dex).  Then I can just enter the names using SS 2.3.  This is easier than using the keyboard on the MXD-D5C.   

1) In SS: Tools menu -> Options; click on "Location to save recorded files"; choose another folder. You'll have to move your entire library, of course, and to be honest I have no idea if SS allows this once you've already got a library. Unless anyone can advise otherwise, I'd suggest using the SS library backup tool before doing this just to make sure that moving the location doesn't render all your tracks unusable.

2) No idea. Perhaps someone out there who has more than one MD or HiMD could confirm or refute this?

3) Yes. All they have to do is improve the quality of the PC codec. The differences with HiSP are minimal enough to be unnoticable the majority of the time; LP2 from SS is currently dismal compared to the hardware encoding, though.

Sorry People (Kurisu, are you male or female?),

Let me explain a little more clearly.

1) I was using the MXD-D5C since 2001 and perfectly happy with it at the time. For those CD's that had CD Text, all track and album titles moved over flawlessly. However, there were fewer CD's than I thought with CD Text. Therefore, I had to manually type in all others. Not bad (for the times) when using the keyboard attachment. Nowadays, it seems like more work since all software programs copy titles and more (groups) to the disc.

2) Noting #1 above, I never needed to create a library on my PC, since all my recordings were done from CD's I owned directly to the MD's using LP2. So there is no need to worry about moving any library.

3) I was thinking about making the jump to Hi-MD. Therefore, I would start thinking about using SS 2.3 for my transferrring needs. However, I don't want to take up alot of storage space on my 120 gb hard drive with my 500+ cd's. This is why I wanted to use a new USB hard drive. So I would use SS 2.3 from my C: drive and store on the USB drive.

4) Noting #3 above. However, what I was wondering was: would SS 2.3 let me copy (transfer) my songs from my USB drive to my Hi-MD discs (two USB's at once)? I do have an output for MD on my Audigy2, not sure if that would be useful.

5) My other option would be to transfer songs to C: library, then transfer to Hi-MD, then remove from library. I don't like this, in case I want to make different mixes down the line.

These are the kinds of issues I have before I decide to upgrade to Hi-MD. Of course, if the theory is true that they can create 2GB, 5GB, or even 10GB using current units, I would upgrade in a heartbeat.

Thanks again for all of your work on the board.

it should work as long as you dont use a USB hub to connect both the HiMD and the USB drive.

something confuses me though. Most USB jumpdrives only hold between 128MB-1GB wont it end up being more work for you to do it this way in the long run?

also why dont you just continue to use Simple Burner unless you wish to retain your LP2 transferring abilities?