Questions Before Buying An Md Player

Rate this topic

agentsakur9

Hi All.

I looked around this forum and hadn't found the answers for questions I have. In actuality I've looked on lots of different sites for answers, to no avail.

I've been wanting to purchase an MD Player for years now, but the Software provided by Sony has been bashed since the inception of the first NetMD.

Since then, I've been reading that Sony's updated their software and it's easier to use. Is this true?

I guess the meat of the matter is this. I have mp3's that I'd like to transfer onto an MD... and have it work basically like my Sony Mp3 CD Player. It's fairly easy to do with CD's, just drag and drop into Nero or any burning software, create folders and burn. Pop it into the CD player and you're done!

Does the newer version of SonicStage allow this kind of ease? Also I understand that SonicStage must convert Mp3's into Atrac files. Does that conversion process take long? I've read that earlier versions of the software took an immense amount of time (to the point that the speed was almost equivilent to 1.5x) yet I have yet to find somewhere that mentions the improvements that 2.x has over 1.x. Also does the level of compression dictate the amount of time it takes to convert the files.

I know these are n00b kinds of questions... but I couldn't find it on my own without buying and using an MD Player outright, Which I might do irregardlessly. I may not even use the software (but I could be wrong in this sense because I've never used it) and make Virtual CD's and transfer them that way...

Anyway thanks for any help you can provide.

Hiya! I haven't had a chance to work with the new SS release, but I understand it's more stable than its precursors and a little easier to figure out all around. Transferring music to the player does require conversion to ATRAC, and it takes a noticable (but not excruciating) amount of time. If you don't mind starting the transfer process and wandering off to cook dinner for a while, you won't have any problems.

Another way to transfer music is through the SimpleBurner application--a little sleeker than SS, but requiring a few more hoops to jump through. Check elsewhere on the forum (sorry, I can't find it right now or I'd give you a link) for the SimpleBurner/Nero method of transferring music. It involves burning a CD image from your MP3 files, then mounting it as a drive and using SimpleBurner to transfer the music. Hope that helps!

If you don't mind starting the transfer process and wandering off to cook dinner for a while, you won't have any problems.

Nah, he's scaring you. You won't have to go cook dinner while the transfer goes on. The time spent transcoding is noticeable, but overall the speed is still pretty fast. A 5MB mp3 file takes about ~10 seconds to transfer on my computer (AMD XP 3000/512MB)

Another way to transfer music is through the SimpleBurner...It involves burning a CD image from your MP3 files, then mounting it as a drive and using SimpleBurner to transfer the music.  Hope that helps!

Don't bother with that, since you want an easy way to do it.

SS is far from the best, but it is still stable enough for most uses. I have not had any real trouble from it. The stupid DRM scheme is kinda annoying, but it's not a killer for me. If you want to be able to tranfer your music from one computer to another, find an mp3 player instead! You cannot do it with NetMD or HiMD! But if you don't really need that then MD players are okay.