Onkyo Intec 275 Hi-Fi with Hi-MD Deck!

Ishiyoshi

This is what all of you have been waiting for. The world first HiMD deck. A glimpse of what may yet to come for HiMD in 2005.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

This is ONKYO's INTEC 275 HiFi system, which includes a HiMD deck! Product No. MD-133(S), Approx. retail: 63,000 Yen. Retail sale date: March 9, 2005. The bad news with the deck (to some people) is there's no USB port, thus you can't use it with the PC.

ONKYO INTEC 275 HiFi System

HiMD MD-133 Specification

Very Nice indeed. Very compact and sleek. Very nice, did I already say that? Looks like there may be decks and Hi-MD recorders from folks other than Sony in 2005 afterall. Unless this is a Sony incognito??

Ok, Sharp, whatcha got?

Thanks for the info.

Edited by mrsoul

Love that translation:

"Audio playback of astonishment makes also that new quality is pulled out possible"

And the long haul playback recording!

Too bad about the digital output, Sony probably said "I don't think so, Sonic Stage and its lovely DRM does such a fine job with that already..."

Looks vaguely Sony-esque to me. Not that I'm too familiar with Onkyo's Japanese designs, but the first thing I thought is it looks like an evolution of the Sony decks.

I would buy a deck in a heartbeat if I could get one with digital out. Without digital out (and in, obviously! smile.gif it gets a little less tempting. But I can see Sony being the stumbling block... they've apparently not taken their MP3 "lessons" quite as well as they claimed. wink.gif

Am I missing something here, or will all the discs that I've recorded in Hi-MD at 133/lp2 not play in this unit??

Would be a shame, but I still can't wait to get my hands on some sort of home stereo unit for Hi-MD!! Seems like it's been forever in coming...

Does anyone know if Sony is planning one with the launch of their new portables as well?

Here's to the future my friends....

Personally I think the front panel has too much stuff on it. It is probably quite nice to use (nothing worse than really small unusable buttons), but it seems that this thing has too many buttons.

Having the recording mode button on the left of the unit and the recording buttons on the right is a bit strange I think, and I'm also pretty used to the track skip buttons being closer to the play/pause/stop buttons.

Hopefully more companies will start making their own Hi-MD stuff - if only someone went rogue and made one which could play back mp3s, oggs, wavs or whatever just straight off the disk....

Anyway, I don't think it is bad, in fact I think it is quite good - but I think they could still dial up the awesome on it smile.gif

This is another version of one of Oknyos shelf-sytems. It's not a Sony knock off they've been making mini-systems like this for some time. They do acutally sound pretty good for what they are. Great for a low level Bedroom system or for the office. I would't acutually consider this a full home unit but it gives me hope that Onkyo or someone else will make one!

now that they've realised their mistake, maybe Sony will wait and release a Hi-MD sysem with MP3 playback smile.gif

I'm sure I'm completely speculating here, but if you look closely at the last post with the image of the MD-105FX, you can read parts of the display where things light up... Just to the left of where "DIGITAL 1" is lit, there is "MP3" and "WMA"... quite odd. Wonder if it's something that's directly related to the Onkyo system and other things it supports (ie other inputs on this thing?), or if this is a sign of things to come from Sony as well? (Speculation is soooo much fun, especially late at night.)

Edited by doclloyd

I'm sure I'm completely speculating here ...

Yes, you are speculating here....

user posted image

A FM-tuner with MP3 and WMA?

I'll sort that into the 'quickly created press photo'-department.

Same display template used here - Expect, that the display will look different on both units, when they go into production...

The WatchImpress-Article: Click (mech. Translation ).

Looks vaguely Sony-esque to me. Not that I'm too familiar with Onkyo's Japanese designs, but the first thing I thought is it looks like an evolution of the Sony decks.

I would buy a deck in a heartbeat if I could get one with digital out. Without digital out (and in, obviously! smile.gif it gets a little less tempting. But I can see Sony being the stumbling block... they've apparently not taken their MP3 "lessons" quite as well as they claimed. wink.gif

What we could hope for (and of course, I would need a schematic on this) is that either the DSP or the ATRAC coded IC's would have a standard PCM data output that we can steal and output to a SPDIF interface. Just a matter of checking it out on a schematic first, like I said.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all!

If the deck is available as a separate purchase rather than one buying it _as part_ of the Onkyo suite of components, it would be worth its salt in many applications.

Think of applications where long audio recording / playback time is necessary like radio logging and business background music for example

With regards,

Simon Mackay

Not all systems use the switch function for timing. There's a timer function on the tuner module, which you can see if you scroll down a little. That probably controls recording and timer play using an internal clock. These integrated systems usually use that method - meaning you don't need (or can't use) an external timer. The number of programs can be limited though. Of course no-one will really know until it's released....

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Not all systems use the switch function for timing. There's a timer function on the tuner module, which you can see if you scroll down a little. That probably controls recording and timer play using an internal clock. These integrated systems usually use that method - meaning you don't need (or can't use) an external timer. The number of programs can be limited though. Of course no-one will really know until it's released....

If these Onkyo systems have a timer function (as it seems they do), then I can finally replace the old MDS-E12, and do my timer recordings on a 1GB MD in Hi-SP (ATRAC3plus at 256 kbps), rather than legacy LP4 (ATRAC3 at 66 kbps). As a bonus, that gives me 7 hours 55 minutes of stereo recording versus 5 hours and 20 minutes of mono.

So I've ordered them from Japan and will be sure to take pictures and post how (if) the timer function works.

As I understand it, one needs the pre/main amp and the tuner along with the Hi-MD deck for this to function.

Just hope they arrive soon, and in good condition!

• 4 weeks later...

Wow! This system is really slick. Very easy to operate, solid feel. The three essential components are the A-933 pre-main amp, T-433 tuner, and MD-133 Hi-MD player. Some might desire the CD player and speakers, but I omitted them from my purchase.

I feel it was worth spending just shy of USD 2000, including all taxes and shipping. Especially so, as I remember the Sony MDS-E12 pro deck was USD 1200, by itself.

I was going to describe how to set it up and make the timer record function work. But there's really no need, it is so straightforward. So, I'm not going to post a whole review just yet.

The timer-record function does really work! EDIT: The A-933 is required for the timer function to operate.

More later!

Edited by DATfan

You mean connecting the tuner's RI link to the MD's RI link is enough? :huh: I'd never though that was possible, but why not, let us know more about if it is indeed possible.

EDIT: No, it doesn't work with just the tuner and deck. The timer can be programmed, but will not trigger without the A-933 Pre-Main Amp.

The A-933 Pre-Main Amp is required for the timer to operate.

EDIT: A 15 ft long mono (monaural) patch cable, terminated with mini-plugs, works correctly in place of the R1 cables.

EDIT: The user can timer-record from one external source (i.e. something other than an Onkyo Intec 275 component). I use an ICOM IC-R75 base receiver. Of course, the user must ensure that this component will be operating at the needed time.

EDIT: In the timer menu, I can choose to record from AM, FM, or LINE. The MD-133 takes as "LINE" the input to which the MD-133 was last set (DIGITAL1, DIGITAL2, ANALOG) . Because the timer cannot specify between the three possible inputs DIGITAL1, DIGITAL2 and ANALOG on the MD-133, the timer cannot make the input source change from whatever is currently selected for the MD-133.

Other notes:

The AM band is, of course, the Japanese standard, so it is fairly useless in the U.S. There are a few coincidences of usable frequences, such as AM 630 kHz, WMAL (ABC) in Washington, D.C. Even using the small AM antenna, I found the T-433 was able to lock on strongly, and found myself listening to WMAL's Christmas programs.

I am using a step-down transformer to 100 V. 500 W should be sufficient, as I am not using any speakers with this setup, it's strictly a recording rig.

Edited by DATfan