Hi Md In Car Solution

Rate this topic

bockers

Any news on whether Sony, or anyone else, will be in troducing any Hi MD compatible Car units I finaly took the punge and bought an MZNH1 and am now enjoying the fruits of Hi MD, a Car unit looks a must. Even using Hi-SP I can have Ten discs in the car and cover 70 hours.

Of course a Multi Changer would be even better then Ii could keep my existing head unit. But I fear that is asking just a little too much!

Any news on introduction of this into the UK?

Cheers

John

Edited by bockers

Yes having 70 hrs of music sounds awsome! but where are you going to get a battery that lasts that long?

Unfortunatley the MZ-NH1 doesn't have and 'external battery case' whereby you can add another battery to the unit, so the max hrs of listening is something like 15 hrs max. Unless you have bought about 5 extra lithium batteries, unfortunatley I don't think you will be listening to all that music in your car.

And to add to the dissapointment sad.gif Sony not to my knowledge doesn't have a 'cigarrette lighter' recharge thing, (what I mean is that you arn't able to run the MD off the power of the car) sad.gif :@

• 1 month later...

I have it from Sony UK that there are no plans to introduce a Hi-MD head unit for in-car at the moment.

This is a real shame because its a perfect format for cars.

If anyone from Sony is reading this.......

Bring out a Hi-MD Head Unit........NOW!

Re: the car power adaptor, its dead easy to make one if you have a basic understanding of electronincs. You just need a car plug, the correct plug to fit the docking station (MZ-NH1) and a 6v DC regulator. Cost no-more than a tenner at most.

I had a look on the sony web-site for the 'official' adaptor but couldn't find anything, but then again i never can with Sony. Is it me or are their web sites the most annoying and unhelpful of any on the web. They never have any real technical info I want and just seem to want to sell me something!

I believe Bockers was talking about an in-dash unit for autos or an in car changer... thus they wouldn't require batteries.

With the second generation of HiMD including support for MP3, an in dash unit may be a neccessary step for HiMD growth. If Sony plays it right, HiMD could gain a good marketshare and become a very versatile medium or platform for portable audio, digital audio and data storage.

Tell people they can get a HiMD recorder, a HiMD car deck and they can directly copy MP3s to inexpensive, high capacity discs, and I think a lot of people would buy into it.

This could end up being a move that could eventually replace CDs as audio media.

I have seen on my web travels and aapter for an NW HD3. Supposidly you plugged the adapter ino the remote and it woud allow you to control the unit via the Car Head Unit, Plus the Head Unit display would show the track info etc that normally appears on the in line remote.

Looked very good but will only work with ceratin Head Units.

I presume this would also work with an NH1 as they share the same remote interface.

Anyone else seen this?

Currently, there are no evidence of any HiMD Head units yet. However, the 2005 XPLOD CES catalog does show that all of their MP3/CD Head units are now capable of decoding ATRAC3/plus tracks burned by SonicStage. The lone MD unit was a MDLP Headunit, I believe it was a dual unit with CD Playback, but I could've been looking at 2004 catalog.

If this is any indication of things to come, (that is, the XPLOD line is lagging about ~2 generation or years), the earliest we could expect a HiMD unit for cars? Probably 2007. If the 2nd gen unit takes off, we may see it pushed up for 2006.

Or it could already be in work for 2006 release... No one knows.

Alternatively, you can always carry a dock with you, and use a regular DC connector unit sold by Sony or other company to draw power from your batteries. The Dock, as unwieldy as it is, does have its line-out/headphone out exposed, so this is a plausible way of drawing power from your car.

Finally, since most Sony Units can be driven by the standard remote port, wouldn't it be easy to include a remote out that connects to any Sony unit, and allow control from the head unit? So, in the case of NH1, you can see the title scroll in the Head unit while it plays. Just a thought.

Finally, since most Sony Units can be driven by the standard remote port, wouldn't it be easy to include a remote out that connects to any Sony unit, and allow control from the head unit?  So, in the case of NH1, you can see the title scroll in the Head unit while it plays.  Just a thought.

I see sony now produce the Sony XA-300 (Expands Existing Autochanger Control Head-Units). This has a USB in so has the potential to play audio from the NH1 and display all the track info and control the unit all via the Car head unit. This XA300 has the added bonus of still allowing uou to plug in an MD or CD changer.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

• 4 weeks later...

own a 900 and a 1 hi-md walkmanses.... boy I need such head-unit in my car. They ( sony or xplod ) should be doing something about it... it's an obvious need for Himd users, to have their 1Gb disks playing on their car stereo... I'll soon be getting angry.

well, brothers in arms, aren't we?

• 1 month later...

I see sony now produce the Sony XA-300 (Expands Existing Autochanger Control Head-Units).  This has a USB in so has the potential to play audio from the NH1 and display all the track info and control the unit all via the Car head unit.  This XA300 has the added bonus of still allowing uou to plug in an MD or CD changer.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

Well I bought an XAC 30

The XAC 300 only allows two sources and is only any good for a PC realy.

http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_product.php?partno=XAC30

This allows 3 Bus Compatible units to be used on the one Head unit.

I hen bought this:

http://www.connects2.com/pdfFiles/english%..._STALK001_1.pdf

It's is for an NW HD1 but works a reat with the NH1 too. The Sony head unit now shws track and album names too... very slick.

I can now also use the steering wheel controls too move up and down tracks and albums. This enables me to leave the NH1 locked in the glove pocket.

The unit isvery good, the NH1 shows as a CD multichanger and when switching back to the Radio or another source the NH1 powers down.

Anyone alsoe tried this set up? I now have a 10 disk changer and six disc MDLP unit in my boot. A Sony SP Minidsc head unit and Hi MD unit up front in the car. Should keep me in tunes for some time.